sneak peek: morgan satterfield

lesson of the day: never buy any one item for over $100. the result is what you see below, and it’s seriously amazing! everything in the home of morgan satterfield has been thrifted, bartered, from a flea market, from craigslist, and the occasional piece from the “as is” section of ikea, not to mention a little DIY love. (don’t worry, when she goes out of control with her vintage shopping, she puts some of her finds that can’t fit in the house in her brick house vintage etsy shop). both she and her partner jeremy are big fans of mid-century modern, but they also like to mix it up – with the fun part of thrifting being that you never know what you’ll find, and you don’t have to break the bank while doing it. we hope you enjoy their home today as much as we did. you can follow along with morgan’s continual work in progress [aka the house] on her blog, and you can find the complete set of images of her home here. [thanks so much, morgan!]anne

[above: The ceramic vase is part of the Raymor Capri line designed by Michael Lax that I thrifted for $1 – I had no clue at the time, but a lovely commenter on blog let me know! The vintage 70’s brown mushroom lamp was picked up at Amsterdam Modern in Los Angeles for $25, it still needs to be converted from its European electrical…it looks fab despite. The little clay head with his tongue sticking out  was a gift from Gordon Senior, an artist who I worked with on a public art project. The painting of the blond was thrifted for $3 at a church run rummage spot by my work, she is my favorite piece in my whole crazy art collection.]

Pretty much everything in the master bedroom is locally thrifted with a few pieces from Ikea (Vinstra bedframe, Ludde sheepskin, Jorun blanket, Hovet mirror) and the kilim rug is from ebay (20!).

I just won the Rejuvenation Make Your Home Your Own with this space. Awesome! The floors are original – we refinished them and left them natural white Oak. We painted out the fireplace in Behr’s “Dark Cavern” and built in the book shelves. Everything is pretty much thrifted or gotten from Craigslist, including the art. Its still a work in progress – we tend to switch things up and move things around CONSTANTLY.

The white couch is a new addition. It was the artist Juli Carson’s old studio sofa and was going to be thrown out. I had a barter deal going with a local flea market dealer and he went picked it up and had it recovered in a really nice and supple white vinyl. It ended up costing me about $52 in fabric – I’m glad we save such a nice sofa frame from the dump. I can’t believe I own a white sofa, but it cleans up with a sponge. The coffee table is from the Long Beach Flea market and the Eames lounger knock-off is from the Palm Springs craigslist – $50!

The overhead lamp is from Amsterdam Modern and is totally retractable. The dining table is thrifted – I had to beg, lie, and plead to buy it around Christmas time from a very unhappy thrift store manager who wanted to keep it for the stores ugly Santa display. Its Danish and BEAUTIFUL! Maybe one of my favorite thrift store finds. The tulip chairs are from the Long Beach Flea Market, I’m selling them to get 6 black eiffel bases for a set of 6 cream Eames side chairs I just got. If anyone is interested and located in Southern California – holler at me. I bought the blond portrait for $5 off the street from a guy in downtown LA who was set-up near Saint VIncent De Pauls.

A lot of the kitchen is original to the house (including those nutty turquoise faux bois laminate countertops and metal Youngstown kitchen cabinets that we restored). We installed the black VCT floor before we moved in. We must have ripped out about 5 layers of old nasty vinyl flooring to get to the original white and rainbow speckled laminate that had just totally disintegrated. We bought the O’keefe and Merritt stove off of craigslist to fit the 40″ stove gap and it was delivered by 5 burly sexy fireman! Too bad they are TOTAL liars. They said it was in great working condition, but the oven is dead. We had a couple guys come out to look at it but no one knows how to fix it. We haven’t baked or made anything needs an oven for over a year and a half.

We also built that little breakfast bar with the open storage and Brown Jordan faux bamboo chairs. It was an awkward space, but I love how functional and space saving the bar is!

CLICK HERE for the rest of Morgan’s peek (8 more pictures) after the jump!

The Eames lounger knock-off is from the Palm Springs craigslist – $50!

The Solid Oak Frame is a little bit of “conceptual” art I picked up at the thriftstore. I think its hilarious, most folks think its odd.

1. Juliet says:

What kind of vinyl did you use on the white couch?? It looks great and I need to recover some chairs I have. I’d love them to look this good!

2. this is so great! looooove the quirky sense of humor combined with modern white. greattt!!!

3. noel marie says:

Oh, I love her house and blog! Glad she was featured.

4. Lindsey Lou! says:

Wow…I have to tell you guys that I LOVE ebay and craigslist and it’s pretty funny, b/c I just posted today some great things I’m looking at on ebay on my blog. But anyway, this home is really beautiful, and quirky too. I love it!

5. Melissa says:

Hey Morgan!

Love your home, just wondering where did you get the screen saver calendar for your Mac? I love those little details and how even that is retro. Also, I love the art work and since I am in a temporary apartment for only one more year, it is great to see that you don’t have to make such a huge investment in art, and still find some great finds. Thanks for sharing!

6. Katie says:

Any info. on the lamp next to the TV? I saved one exactly like it from my neighbor’s trash. It’d be great to know more about it. Love your place!

7. alex sunday says:

i love this home sooooo much. it has so much personality. and the white sofa is beautiful. bring on bartering!

8. I love this space. I especially love the use of the paintings.

9. Matt says:

wow. one of the best i’ve seen on ds – really inspiring. please give the story behind the framed letter (?) artwork (?) in the second to last picture.

10. This is SO how I want to live! I could basically move right in (if the Brick House was not across the ocean. And already occupied..humhum). I love the play of colour, the mix of vintage pieces from different eras and the general cosy feeling. Lovely!

11. Christian says:

Loving the white!

12. Karen Cheung says:

This is a beautiful space. I saw the white enamel bowl with the mushrooms on the dresser and went ‘hey, I’ve seen that somewhere before!’. If anyone wants one and has £80 knocking around, check it out here:

Morgan, I bet it didn’t cost you that much!

13. Amanda says:

I adore this sneak peek, but the painting of that blonde chick is seriously scary.

14. Ashley says:

Morgan, I’m moving to LA without any furniture and would love any other thrift store/flea market recommendations you have!

Absolutely unbelievable home!

15. Alexandra says:

I just bought the exact same mid-century dresser with 9 drawers and 5 legs, that you are using for credenza to house the TV, from but sadly it wasn’t under $100. I still feel like I got a great deal! Nice job, the entire place is rockin’!

16. Laura says:

I think the Solid Oak Frame is funny, too :)

17. Liz says:

I love love love that oversize curvy orange chair. You mention you found it on Craigslist but is there any manufacturer name ? any idea if it’s a knock-off of any designer.

18. Holly says:

The weird paintings you have acquired really do something amazing to the space. They are super quirky and fun to look at, and the colors in them are beautiful! I absolutely love it!

19. Saffronia says:

I am so impressed with how resourceful you are, and feel like a spoiled brat that I have actually bought things in my house. That doesn’t take nearly the creativity that you have with your great eye and willingness to persist in finding what you want! It looks beautiful.

20. “There is just interior design and furniture”
    Ha, ha! Love it.

21. I so love the white tufted sofa! I can’t believe it was going to be thrown out.

22. Miss B. says:

Just smashing! Gorgeous light and I am so in love with the sofa and the idea of wiping up with a sponge–brill.

23. Chelsea says:

I have a serious crush on all of the lamps. I live in San Diego and work in La Jolla, so I’m defintely going to be checking out The Corner Store. The home in general is just stunning. My favorite sneak peek so far!

24. Kristen says:

Love the eclectic yet clean and modern nature of this home! Personally not a big fan of all the animal skins, though :) I also have that mushroom mixing bowl in the last picture before the jump, mine isn’t in as great of condition but its still one of my favorites.

25. andrea says:

This IS my favorite sneek peak thus far! I love how all the shelves only hold a few items. Elevates them to a level of importance. I also love the random portraits and placement of them! Very cool.

26. John says:

I love all the danish modern stuff, and the paintings

27. Melissa says:

Beautiful. Your place has a great soul.

And I’m in SoCal and want those tulip chairs with all my being. Please email me so we can chat.

28. Molly says:

So inspiring!

29. Jill says:

Don’t give up on your oven! I have an Okeefe & Merritt and the oven stopped working once when the gas was turned off in our building. Turns out that their is a switch or some really easy fix, but people who aren’t experienced with these types of stoves don’t know about it!

30. Carla McMorran says:

Check out Antique Stove Heaven on Western Ave. in Los Angeles. 323.298.5581. If they can’t fix your oven, nobody can.

31. Jo in NZ says:

@Melissa: the screen saver is called Fliqlo and can be downloaded from (for free) here:

32. I want this house and I can’t believe some of these items have cost $100 or less.

33. morgan says:

you might have to get out of LA for thrifting. Go to the flea markets at PCC and Long Beach!

Nelson of Kingston, Inc is what the tag says…I’m not sure though…

email me from the contact page on my blog. I don’t have your email…and I’m not sure how to get.

Jo in NZ is right!

Thanks everyone! I’m so happy you dig it, even with all the weirdo art.

34. eden says:

the light fixtures in this home are absolutely beautiful! what a great space. thanks.

35. Love this space, of course! All the white works so well I want to buy paint and cover all my color.

Best of all, I love the sense of humor shown in some of the art pieces. “There is no love there is just interior design and furniture.”- Funny!

36. nevadadaisy says:

*gasp!* What a surprise it was to see the two bowls – one black and white, one orange and white – because I have a teal version! I bought it from a restaurant in Portland that sells antiques too. Can’t remember the designer…Danish, I think? Anyone know?

37. tara doherty says:

i knew a guy on hollywood blvd at van nuee…bdk appliances…he would come out and fix my grandmoms oven try them…

38. Kim says:

You have an amazing home! Moving into my first home in a few months and cannot wait to take the $100 rule into effect!!

Are your Bertoia chairs knock-offs? I’m obsessed and have been looking around – but cannot find them for cheep…

39. FlagirlinTN says:

Dibs on the orange chaise when you get tired of it!

40. Jo in NZ says:

@nevadadaisy: the name you’re after is cathrinholm (or catherineholm – you’ll see it spelled both ways). She’s Norwegian.

41. gwen says:

hey! i just recently saw an ad on craigslist la for an okeefe and merrit – it seemed inexpensive and i think it works too!
    just thought i’d let you know! LOVE your style, so cute!

42. tiffany says:

This is my dream home!

So gorgeous, bookmarking this for inspiration for whenever I get out of my apartment.

43. carlitadee says:

Hugely inspiring. A “Sneak Peek” favorite, easily.

44. Myrte says:

I love your dog!

45. very much my cup of tea

46. I was about to say ya right on the nothing under $100. But then I realized I too have purchased Harry Bertoia, and Eames knock offs for under $100. Congrats on such a great space, I love it!

47. jenny says:

absolute DREAM. my favorite peek ever. beautiful space!!!!!!!

48. Iwona says:

Can someone tell me if /where I could buy those two 60’s looking bowls -one orange and one black, with the “leaf” print on them? I’ve seen them in a few other sneak peeks and I find them fantastic!