sneak peek: molly of proud mary

proud mary is a wonderful textile company run by molly and harper (you may remember this post from their debut line). their line of home and personal accesories is designed by these talented ladies stateside, and then are each hand-sewn by artisans in guatamala (with the help of nest that helps connect designers to developing countries ensuring fair wages). first up we have a sneak peek into molly’s place in portland, oregon. i’m seriously in love with her dining room with that great stained glass detail. the peek continues after the jump (additional images here), and stay tuned for harper’s place coming up next! [thanks, molly!] anne

[above and below: I live on the top floor of a turn of the century craftsman home in Portland, OR. I have two lovely roommates who are fellow Aspenites (I grew up in Aspen, CO).  The owner of the home is an art restorer and she put in the wonderful stained glass windows in the living room.  The hanging tapestry is a ‘huipile’ that I bought on a Proud Mary trip to Guatemala. The wooden chair in the corner is a piece I made this year; I call it my supernormal chair.]

The table and chairs came from a vintage store here in Portland. My roommate Hayley Cassatt painted the bunny painting, and the tapestry is from another trip to Guatemala.

This is our cat Elliot who shouldn’t be one my bed because I’m allergic to cats, but he always seems to find himself there. I took the pictures on the wall; it’s a collection of trash that I found on the street over a few months. I was trying to find organic and inorganic pieces that resembled one another. . . I really have a thing for unique chairs. I bought this metal chair at the same flea market in San Francisco and used a pillow that I found in Bolivia as the seat cushion.

1. wow, so nice…that stained glass detail is beautiful – what a great idea!

2. beautiful! It’s so bright and fresh.

3. Calvine says:

The desk is my favorite – what a great way to introduce colors without making it feel cluttered!

4. This Molly is seriously fun! How cute is that little knitted hat on the desk lamp?!! I have one of those ergonomic chairs too! I don’t know anyone else that has one. Hats off to her. ;)

5. Amy says:

I LOVE the stained glass – wow!

6. Renae says:

Love the dining table and chairs!

7. Aunt Courtney says:

Love this Molly!!! How fun to see your house (and Harper’s too)! Love the new web site, going to check your recipes!!!

8. betch glenn says:

Wow Molly, such a difference from when Lydia and I visited and you’d just moved in – gorgeous. I love all the quirky details, Hayley’s bunny painting, your supernormal chair, your trash pictures and knitted lamp cap – we’re coming back up for tea!

9. juliane says:

is the hat on the lamp also from bolivia? i live here in bolivia and i’ve got two. just wondering if they are from the same area or if they can be found in other countries as well. where you able to go to the textiles museum in sucre when you were here? it’s amazing and you can watch women weaving during the day. it’s incredibly slow work but beautiful.

10. Molly says:

hi juliane
    the hat on the lamp is actually from ecuador. i got it in the cultural museum in cuenca. when i was in bolivia i spent most of my time in tarija, in the south. it was such a beautiful country. i hope to go back soon!

11. Love those greenish chairs round the table.
    The front of the chairs look like the seats in an E-type Jaguar.
    Nice styling !