packaging: landshark lager

photo
when ac and i were on long beach island this weekend we grabbed a few beers to take with us to the harvey cedars shellfish co (byob). when we were in the store deciding between drinks, i stumbled upon this display (sorry, these are cruddy phone pictures) for landshark lager and thought the packaging was really nice. it’s one part jimmy buffet, and one part weathered, cool graphic design. normally when it comes to beer packaging i gravitate towards cute owls, but this packaging definitely tempted me to try one. we ended up with an old favorite instead, but the next time i’m at the store i’m definitely going to see if the beer lives up to the fun packaging.

love packaging? click here to check out my favorite packaging site, the dieline.

photo2

1. Michael says:

Landshark is one of my favorite beers. It is very similar to Corona. Drink it with a lime and enjoy!

1. grace says:

sounds like my kind of beer. i like anything that’s light and citrus-friendly :)

grace

2. Amanda says:

Hitachino Nest is awesome! They served it at the campus bar in grad school, and my friends and I always tried to swipe the bar’s matching Hitachino beer glasses…they look more like little juice glasses. So cute.

3. Yes, Landshark made a big splash when Anheuser-Busch launched it. It’s in many more states now too. Plus with their marketing genius, you can get shark-fin coasters and stuff too!

4. Sera says:

i was in our local supermarket the other day and had some lucky beer because its green bottle was shaped like a laughing buddah.

needless to say i now use these corkers as vases!

5. chris says:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this stuff around the city before–haven’t tried it myself yet, and while I’m not the hugest fan of ‘weathered’ graphic design, I am also a fan of the packaging design they’ve put together

6. kevin says:

it’s my fave import

7. Beth says:

LandShark is one of my faves — very similar to a Corona (i.e. great with lime). Hooray Beer!

8. Susan says:

landshark is one of my favorite “beach” beers…refreshing and not too filling

9. curlyred says:

I’m not crazy about the typeface used for “Landshark” but I do like the palette and simple imagery.

10. Katelyn says:

old news.

11. marisa says:

hi grace,
    like the landshark beer, i currently live in jacksonville! it is shown lotsa love all throughout our city, but i think it’s most appreciated on a hot day at the beach with a twist a lime! And if you would love to see some MORE great beer label design that also hails from the first coast, check out bold city beer brewery! lovely package posted on it a while back: http://lovelypackage.com/bold-city-brewery/

a good friend of my husband and i designed them. his name is kendrick kidd! he also did our wedding invites.. you can see his super stellar work here: http://kendrickkidd.com/

1. grace says:

very nice, marisa! love the last jug bottle on the right :)

12. Katherine says:

Ha! I was on LBI this weekend too – though down in beach haven. It’s nice to hear someone else vacations there too.

13. bananas. says:

i just tried longshark. i have to say it’s pretty tastey and perfect on a hot summery day.

14. Anna @ D16 says:

This look SO dated to me, like late-’80s Emigre/Neville Brody typography combined with early-’90s “grunge” effects and the stacked type/labels-within-labels look that was so popular in the mid-’90s.

I’m not saying it’s necessarily “bad” design, but it looks incredibly dated (and I don’t mean retro!) to me. I’d actually feel a little embarrassed to buy it (which is embarrassing in itself to admit, but such are the woes of being a designer).

15. La says:

This is Jimmy Buffett’s brewery. Good, good stuff. Even better because it’s made in the USA! :)

1. grace says:

are you serious? i love it! i knew it had that cheeseburger in paradise feel ;)

16. Allison says:

Ah, Grace, no wonder I read your blog all the time! I actually bought this beer a few weeks ago just because I liked the packaging. :) Luckily, I ended up liking the beer, as well, so it was a good purchase all around.

17. elana says:

This is a good beer, and Harvey Cedars Shellfish Co is a great place. Hope you liked it, and enjoyed LBI – I’ve been going down there since pre-natal times.

18. Elyse says:

Yikes, we got this for the same reason, and it was disgusting. It was really skunky-tasting. Gross.

19. kevin says:

i first tried it in strasburg, va. i had it a second time in washington, dc.

20. Calvine says:

Love Landshark beer! It is perfect for the summer because of its corona-like taste, but it’s much lighter – my girlfriends and i will drink it!

21. ita-darling says:

My friend bought the beer because of the packaging, and unfortunately it tastes like a flip flop. A dirty flip flop. Seriously. Stick with a Pacifico or Corona. If you put enough lime in anything it will taste okay. Save your $8. Please.

1. grace says:

lol. “a dirty flip flop”. best bad-beer description i’ve ever heard. ;)

g

22. Just discovered this beer last month and it’s a favorite one of mine now. Similar to Corona, but maybe a little better? Definitely add lime. YUM!

23. Lia says:

I’m from LBI, how funny. Harvey Cedars is nice.

24. knock knock, landshark ma’am

1. grace says:

oh i was waiting for someone to say that, leisure forte. thank you ;)

g

25. tiffany says:

Mmm. I love Landshark. My favorite summer beer.

26. helen says:

Love seeing great packaging. Here’s another — Full Sail has amazing packaging AND incredible beer inside (bonus!) with a great story behind it — independent, employee-owned -green- brewery in tiny Hood River, Oregon. Tell me this isn’t brilliant: http://tinyurl.com/mq6brz …it makes me want one to keep and one to drink, and I’m not even that into beer.

27. Janet says:

The bf ordered Genesse Bock Beer at a North Bowl (a “fancy” bowling alley in the Northern Liberties section of Philly) http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/3121364205_ce723822c7.jpg with their special edition “retro” can. I love the way the can looks. He liked the beer too.

28. Jess says:

Don’t do it! I got this once to try something new and it was terrible, and weak. Plus it gave me a headache. Go forth and search for microbrews (many of which have amazing packaging and/or at least illustrations).

29. alison says:

i feel like design*sponge jumped the shark on this one…i’ll stick with the owl beer.

30. Crystal says:

This post made me smile–not because of the Landshark packaging (although it is nice), but because of Long Beach Island! Growing up in Michigan, we took a trip every year to LBI. We always stayed in Beach Haven, just a block from the beach, and it was my favorite part of the year.

Now that I live in Florida, it will probably be ages before I visit LBI again, but I miss Slice of Heaven Pizza, the Mechanical Man at Fantasy Island, The Chicken or the Egg, Barnegat Lighthouse, and lazy days at the shore. Hope you enjoyed your trip!

p.s. I second Marisa on Kendrick Kidd and his great design work–I interned at his company a couple years ago and got to see some of his amazing stuff.

31. Katherine says:

Crystal
    I just got back from Beach Haven. They added lights to the lighthouse – so pretty at night! And of course a meal at the Chicken or the Egg is a must!
    We also eat may a breakfast at the LBI Pancake House. It’s a hike from Beach Haven but they really have the best breakfast on the island :)

1. grace says:

chicken or the egg was SO good. way better than LBI pancake house for us at least. i mean those pancakes were divine ;)

32. pondhopper says:

I agree. The Landshark packaging really worked for me. An element of grunge, worn and soft t-shirt and gentle summer breeze. I admit. I bought it the first time just so I could keep the carton!

33. Elsie says:

Landshark is the sponser AND the new name of Dolphin Stadium in Miami, Fl.

34. sponger says:

I know this is about Landshark Beer,
    but just to let you know the Beer next to it..Carib Beer…hails from Trinidad and Tobago, a little island next to Venezuela. It a ‘creeper’ beer and after consuming five Carib beers you will see double.

35. meg says:

Too bad the best thing about this beer is the packaging.

36. Cool packaging design.

37. Round Labels says:

That is really cool packaging.