Morning!

image_1
I am so happy to be sharing with you all today. I am currently exploring my new life in New York, where I have moved to live out a long-time dream of designing and creating handmade goods to sell. I find inspiration for my work mostly in daily life and in my surroundings. With a camera in tow I spent a week weaving in and out through parks and Brooklyn streets making new discoveries and hunting to be inspired for my next project. Meanwhile, I was learning my way around my new neighborhood, Park Slope. Below I have shared my process for creating simple mood boards that I use mostly for color and texture inspiration. Throughout this week I want to take you all on a journey through my daily New York life and I will share my love of textiles, color, and design. Later in the week I will include two small DIY projects for your home. Thank you, Grace, for having me!

xo,
HaylieBird

[image above: Mushroom ring on Union Street/ Vintage table runner in Emily’s Apt.]

image_2
Chelsea’s outfit and morning snack/ Bouquet of tree peonies from Amy

image_3
Village Apt./ 7th Avenue Donuts

image_4
The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens/ Greenwood Baptist Church

image_5
Sweet Melissa’s Bakery on 7th Ave/ Friends

Mini Mood Boards

These images above are bits and pieces of inspiration (captured on my journey through Park Slope) that have been paired together to evoke a certain mood. I learned this process from a great professor I had in college, Pamela Wiley. Pam is a professor of Fibers (more about the Fibers Department tomorrow!) at the Savannah College of Art and Design. I often go through my old photos to find images that tell a whole new story when combined. This is a great method for planning the color and mood of a room, a party setting or even an outfit. These simple pairings would also be nice framed and hung on a wall as your own artwork.

1. I love all these pics, especially the one with the donut!! I’m also loving that yellow dress!

2. Allie says:

I absolutely love the idea of grouping photos together to evoke a mood. I’m definitely going to try doing that for inspiration! Thanks for the tip :)

3. Wonderful. This is so inspiring!

4. ginny branch says:

gorgeous! beautiful imagery!

p.s woo hoo

5. danielle & ryan says:

Reading your post from bed on a Monday morning is such a treat, only we wish you were here.

6. cheryl Day says:

Looking forward to spending the week on your fantastic new journey in NYC!

7. HRodocker says:

What is the yellow thing in the image of friends? it seems attached to the woman’s clothing?

I like this idea by the way, I just can’t stop looking at the protruding yellow thing.( I feel a bit silly asking.)

8. 7th Ave looks like the place to be!

9. lovey dovey says:

how lovely! these images are beautiful! what a great idea!

10. Ashley says:

Welcome to Park Slope, Haylie! I am from Savannah too. You will love living in NYC. And now I am totally craving one of those donuts…

11. KL Dilley says:

I love the mushroom rings on Union Street! Nature is amazingly persistent!

12. mia says:

I just got back from cyprus and that vintage table runner is exactly the kind of traditional embroidery work they still do there,in a village called Lefkara..wow,what a pleasant flashback..it`s just such beautiful work..

13. Nice photos! Reminds me of SFGirlbybay photos.

14. Suzanne says:

I have loved your whole week’s blog! Your collection of creations and inspirations have always been beautiful and inspiring! Glad all is well!

15. Nancy says:

Love all the photos- they lift my senses and inspire me. you have an eye for detail and color! I’ll be keeping my camera in my purse from now on…