diy wednesdays: camera strap cover

in our ongoing quest to customize every object we get our hands on, we’ve tackled all sorts of random things around our home (ikea furniture, curtains, bedspreads…) so it’s about time that we finally got crafty with one of the items we spend the most time with: our camera. don’t get us wrong, we’re not ashamed if people know we use a canon, but we don’t feel the need to advertise it like we were nascar drivers. hence our desire to cover up our logo-heavy strap with something a little easier on the eyes.

have fun!
derek & lauren

CLICK HERE for the full project after the jump!

here’s what you’ll need:
a pre-existing camera strap that is begging for a facelift
a small piece of fabric that is at least 23” x 4”
measuring tape or ruler
sewing machine
rubber band

1. choose your fabric

2. measure your existing camera strap. these instructions are for a standard dslr strap with the fabric portion measuring 20.5” long by 1.5” wide.

3. cut your fabric to 22.5” x 4”.

4. fold in the short ends 1/2” and press. fold over another 1/2”, press, and stitch down with your sewing machine.

5. with right sides together, fold your fabric in half lengthwise and stitch down the entire length, 1/4” in from the raw edges, forming a tube.

6. turn your tube right side out (using a handy loop turning tool if you’ve got one).

7. press open the seam.

8. slide the strap cover over the existing strap. the vinyl piece at each end of your camera strap is a little wider than the fabric part, so you’ll need to fold it in half as best you can and secure it with a tight rubber band to make feeding it into your new fabric strap cover a little easier.

1. Jude says:

Fantastic! this will make the strap more comfortable around the neck, too!

2. Esther says:

awesome. I think i’ll make several so I can chop and change for all occations. Thanks!

3. Becky says:

Cannot WAIT to try this!

4. mrsbutters says:

Brilliant idea! I love my camera and couldn’t wait to personalise it. Here’s the finished product,

5. Aaron says:

I made this last night and it turned out GREAT! I ended up sewing the cover to the strap itself, at each end and down the whole side. It makes it look a little more finished and keeps it from bunching up.

6. Jennifer says:

Thanks for a fantastic Xmas idea for my impossible-to-shop-for photojournalist brother. Now I just have to find the perfect fabric.
    Has anyone tried quilting the strap to give it extra padding? Just thinking it might make it even more comfy for him to wear for long periods of time.

7. I have a ton of photographer friends this would make a great gift for them!

8. I’ve been looking for a tutorial for a camera strap cover that gives a tight professional looking finish for ages. Too many were baggy and looked homemade, but this one is excellent. made my already and I LOVE it!

9. Amie says:

LOVE this idea! can’t wait to try it out. thanks for the tips.

10. craftydill says:

This is such a great tutorial! I’ve seen these around and thought they were a great way to personalize your camera… thanks for the instructions! I can’t wait to do mine… now the hard part- picking out fabric!

11. Kris says:

Made mine today. Can’t wait to make some more.

Thanks for such great instructions!

I had customized my strap already with ribbon, but now I can change as often as I like.

12. marissa moss says:

i made 2 today and i love them!
    thanks so much for the easy tutorial!!

13. This is my next project! Getting a new camera on Wednesday so I need to welcome it in style.

14. brittmari says:

Thanks, I made mine today for my son. thanks for the tips.

15. Teddi says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I whipped one up this summer and posted about it here

16. Lesley says:

Great idea. I just got a new Canon and attached the strap today. Although I do like the strap and I am proud to be a Canon user…I was thinking how dirty/beat up looking it was going to get. This is a great way to protect my Canon strap and keep it new looking….thanks for a great idea. Now if I only had an embroidery machine I would sew a Canon logo on my strap cover…

17. Suzi says:

I love it! Just wondering though, since it’s not attached to the strap itself, will it slide and bunch a lot? Any suggestions on keeping it in place before I make one? Maybe snap buttons? That way you can still change it out for different outfits! Think that would work?

18. Emily says:

I am a novice crafter but I do have a sewing machine and some extra fabric lying around. Just bought DH a Canon for Valentine’s Day (okay, it’s really for me…) and can’t stand the strap. This looks easy enough to try. Thanks!

19. Ananda says:

Just made one for my own camera strap and it’s awesome!!! I’ll be making them for my sis and friends. So easy and really takes care of the unsightly strap plus the abrasive edges of the stock camera strap

20. nene says:

its awesome!!! cant wait to make a fashion strap for my camera that fits to my mood.thanks a lot.

21. How wonderful of you to teach us how to do this ourselves. I’m so tired of seeing gorgeous straps for sale for $30 or more….waaay out of my budget! :)

22. dwj says:

You guys posted this a year ago and I finally did it today. LOVE IT! Why did I wait so long?

23. Heidi says:

Have finally got around to doing and re-posting this. Thanks for the tip, love it!

24. Darlene S. says:

Thank you so much for these instructions! I just inherited a beautiful vintage camera, with a not-so-pretty strap, I will need to spruce it up, and this seems like just the trick! Thanks so much!

25. Trysten says:

What kinda of Canon is that?

26. Tisha says:

Can’t wait to make one for my Nikon.

27. Abby says:

Just made this! i love it! It was my first project EVER using a sewing machine. Thanks for the tutorial! :)

28. Linda Rogers says:

great tutorial. My son had this idea for his girlfriend’s gift who is into photography. Will be making this weekend. Sounds simple enough.

29. tara says:

Someone else mentioned this already, but be sure to MEASURE your strap! I also made the mistake of taking the canon camera strap measurements for my own, but it seems the newer cameras have straps a few inches longer. Great tutorial, I’ll have to try again to get the correct length.

30. Sheila says:

Oh, YAY!!! I’ve got some Texas Ranger’s logo fabric. I’m definitely going to use some of it for this!!! I can’t wait to show off my camera the next time we go to a game!