diy project: erica’s tote bag pillows

pillow
today erica domesek, style and crafter-extraordinaire and author of the website ps i made this is back with another diy project that takes advantage of something most of us have laying around the house- extra tote bags. i love using extra objects around the household, so erica, take it away….

i’m always trying to live “greener” in my day-to-day life. today’s project comes from my need to reduce (my clutter), re-use (old pillows), and recycle (all the free totes I get from events, parties, and shopping). this is a great project that will spruce up your couch, chair or bed!

CLICK HERE for the full project instructions after the jump!

MATERIALS:

• Tote Bag
  • Scissors
  • Grommet kit (available at craft or fabric stores)
  • Hammer
  • Rope
  • *Optional Items for decorating tote

DIRECTIONS:

1-CUT OFF TOTE BAG HANDLES WITH SCISSORS

2- PUNCTURE HOLE WITH SCISSOR FOR GROMMET

3- PLACE GROMMET (TOP AND BOTTOM) THRU HOLE, SECURE WITH GROMMET KIT FINDINGS
(AVAILABLE AT ANY CRAFT STORE) AND HAMMER TOGETHER.

4-CONTINUE PLACING GROMMETS AROUND TOP OF BAG, ALTERNATING SPACING ON OPPOSITE SIDE

5- IRON BAG IF WRINKLY :)

6- USE TOTE STRAPS TO DECORATE, GET CREATIVE!

7- STUFF TOTE WITH PILLOW FILLER, OR STUFFING

8-KNOT ONE SIDE OF ROPE, WEAVE TOGETHER, FINISH OFF WITH A KNOT AT THE END!

Click here to check out other clever DIY’s at PS- I made this… and learn more about Erica Domesek

111

1. Mimi says:

HOW WONDERFUL!
    I can’t wait to make a few! I have tons of old totes that I want to save as momentos from parties or stores.
    This is fab!

2. Great idea! I love the idea of something being re invented. I may have to try that. I am lacking in pillow-y prettiness.

3. Mouse says:

This is a brilliant idea. So so so many totes stuffed in my closet.

4. love this idea! I have a zillion tote bags laying around. what a terrific way to repurpose one you love.

5. ThirtyThirty says:

I love these and don’t think I’ve seen it done before…genius idea and it actually seems pretty easy to do!

6. Tara says:

What a creative idea. (Wish I had more of those.) I’m going to try my hand at this one. Reduce, reuse, recycle, woo hoo!

7. The Mudroom says:

LOVE THIS! Boy do I have tote bags…would look great using the canvas bags from The Strand…

8. cindi beane says:

love this. I have a tote bag that Sarah made from one of her birthday parties when she was about 10. What a great way to preserve it for her.

9. tyna says:

What a clever, now why didn’t I think of that idea! Hmm, I have a number of totes from weddings of friends stashed in my closet. Would it be weird to make a pillow and give it to them?

10. in-sung says:

Love the idea. Thank you for posting the instruction!

11. bagaddict says:

creative ideas, i like it~~

12. bagaddict says:

Thanks for your releasing~~ i can’t help have a try making one for myself… but i wonder if i can success…. whatever… i am gonna try…. hoho~~`