before & after: thrift store artwork

i love this unusual before and after from amanda at red jet whistle. while trying to paint the frame of her favorite thrift store art find, amanda accidentally damaged the painting. so, rather than throwing it away, she decided to free hand a new “frame” with white paint. i love the fresh take on a thrift store find…

[have a before & after you want to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your images!]

1. SparkerShop says:

The painting is brilliant! It looks so fresh and gorgeous with the white paint. Talk about breathing new life into a piece.

2. Michele P says:

Hi Amanda,
    I saw your Eames chair remake and would love to ask you some questions about some specifics. I can’t seem to leave a comment on your blog.
    If you have an email address, please post here. Thanks.

3. Emma says:

its goes PERFECTLY with the wall behind it!

4. brandeye says:

that is beautiful. don’t you just love it when mistakes turn into something wonderful!

5. Joe in Indiana says:

Cool idea.. I wonder if the original picture was a little dark though?

This is the best idea I’ve seen for what to do with thrift store art.

6. Emily says:

LOVE. Absolutely love it. Unrelated question for Amanda: what shade of paint is that on your walls? I’m in lust. Must have.

7. Amanda says:

Michele P – love to talk about the eames – me.hearties(at)gmail(dot)com

Emily – it was painted that blue before I moved in – unfortunately I don’t know what shade it is!

Thanks again for the lovely comments!

8. What a nice idea – it looks so contemporary – well done!

9. Mindy Harris says:

i’ve found some similar frames/prints at estate sales lately; now i know what to do with them. thanks!

10. jessimarie33 says:

Great job! That looks really great!

11. jenniferL says:

it looks great!! that’s a happy accident.

12. Margaux says:

This really is brilliant. Such a modern update. It’s definitely one of my fave before/afters ever. nice job!

13. douglas montgomery says:

..there must be a way of turning this into a product. Maybe a frame or custom-sizable cardboard borders in various patterns that slips over existing pictures?

14. GG says:

Genius! Love it!

15. What a great result. Turning an accident into a successful end result. Nicely done.

16. Laura Boppell says:

I bet when it first happened, Amanda said a few expitives, and then…violla! Instant transformation into something cool!

17. Amanda says:

Brilliant! Such a simple way to make a drastic and clever change.

18. puddle says:

Love it! Funny!

19. great to see how adding a concept made it into a work of art. Truly impressive … and inspiring to see!

20. laura says:

Amanda, love the creativity!!! random question for you, though: the sliding curtain on the door frame- how did you mount it at the top?!

21. Amanda says:

In response to Laura Boppell – you bet I did!!! ha ha!!!

laura – the curtain hardware is the “DEKA” from Ikea – $4.99.

22. Ingunn says:

Beautiful! I love the colour of the blue wall behind the picture. Do you have the name of it, or the code (numbers) for the painting?

23. Evelien D says:

What if it turns out to be a valuable lost masterpiece? :D

24. Eileen says:

I feel so affirmed! I have a print from that same era & style, w/the orig. frame. I’ve been thinking of framing it with a 4 to 6″ wide flat frame. Maybe paint it high gloss black or stain it a dark walnut or cherry.

25. Katie says:

My grandparents have this painting in thier living room. I have to say, I like your version better.

26. conn says:

i love how it bleeds into the frame. very Wayne White inspired… who by the way has a new book of his work out. It’s amazing. Check it out.

27. Liz says:

OMG that’s the same painting my Dad hung in the kitchen when I was growing up! It has a way different vibe with the white paint on the edges.

28. Keneth Xson says:

Greetings From Singapore… Wat a great way to salvage the old painting.. nice work : ) hope to see more creative ideas from u in the near future !

29. Iylana says:

that is really really nice, one of the best before and afters I’ve seen! good job!

30. Adrienne says:

I loved this when I saw it, and finally tried it out today on a thrifted painting. Thanks for the inspiration!! It turned out great!!