sneak peek: dana d’amico

dana d’amico has been designing for almost ten years now. her latest fulltime gig was with calvin klein home where her personal style and CK aesthetic really meshed – clean, modern, minimal and textural. and today we’re excited to share a sneak peek into dana’s beautiful home. definitely keep an eye out for for all her lovely tabletop/home products that she’s created over the years (they pop up around the house). and if what you see below isn’t enough, click here for lots more! stay tuned for another amazing peek coming up at 11! [thanks, dana!]anne

I have been designing now for almost 10 years, as the work has varied it has always been related to interiors and the bulk has been tabletop products. Basically that means I have tons of home stuff….plates, glasses, barware, vases, candlestick etc….I love having options but storage can be an issue….

[above: I could use more space in the bedroom/studio.When I work on a project I totally spread out, make a mess….post stuff all over the walls…..the magnetic boards are great for that. Almost all the art in my place comes form an event at Artists Space (a non-profit gallery for emerging artists). They have an event called Night of 1000 drawings every year where all the drawings are donated and the proceeds go to the gallery. I volunteer and get a drawing in exchange. It’s great because the people who work there are awesome and I will always support the arts!…Duvet is CK, pillows are Soft Goods, Socktopus is one of my top bday gifts ever,thanks DLee!!! The print on the wall is from Doze Green one of my favorite graffiti writers, I got this at a dj battle where he was doing a live painting.

(photos by Maria-Teresa Capelle-Burny)

Credenza was a flea market miracle! I had my heart set on a credenza to solve my storage issues and help me appear more minimal….then one random Sat my friend and I came across my baby in hells kitchen…asked the price…heard $500….tried to walk away maintaining our cool…walked right back over paid for it and had it delivered to my place within 1 hour. $500 total. done and done!! OH and it also has a top piece which I now keep under my desk for storage but plan on using it together in the future…..I came across it at Las Venus for $4950…just the bottom part…..SCORE! Dansk 1963 Jens Quistgaard ….my friend is a total good luck charm! Cube tables are the work of my good friend Kai-wei ….he also made the candelabra. Our aesthetics really mesh and he is hilarious…

It houses my overflow of home goods, my dvds, some books & photos. The box peeking out I made at RISD in wood …it is filled with random toys that I’ve acquired over the years….kids love it! The squarish glass jug was a collaboration with myself and my glass buddy. We made molds out of wood and blew into them to get the shape and texture. Bowls are my designs for CK, filled with various driftwood from Puerto Rico, Block Island and random woods I’ve passed through.

Records were mostly found on the street (Ave B)…..the girl who was getting rid of them was actually helping me go through them, pointing out the jams (tons of classic hip hop, party jams & 80’s)…NYers…gotta love em!

The textured porcelain are my current project. This collection will be complete soon and I hope to sell it to specialty shops around….they were just shown at Bklyn Designs…exciting!

I am trying to collect wood tirangles, I got 2 at the flea in Budapest and one this winter at the Paris flea…I think they are beautiful and simple. The textile on the back of my chair I got in Japan at an antique dealer. I had an amazing time there buying inspirational samples for CK.

This winter my skateboard was just taking up space…I stacked some books on it and now have a rolling shelf….it’s awesome when I am working and I need to move things quick.

1. Kristan says:

I love that irregular oval mirror!

2. rachel says:

your house is so lovely dana! i am sooo jealous about your credenza- what an awesome find! did you happen to design the bone salt and pepper shakers? they are disturbingly cute!

3. Wow! I love the furniture. I wish I could sneak in and take that gorgeous mirror. It is fantastic!

4. visualingual says:

Your textured vases look amazing! I can’t wait to get a closer look, hopefully in person, sometime in the near future.

5. What a beautiful little house.

6. anthony says:

very nice.. especially the peach blossom

7. Marlene says:

Very cool and cozy.

8. Lippy says:

Love the apartment tour Dana! That mirror and credenza are killer. Now, what other jams are lurking in that record collection…

9. fabi says:

simple, soft, extremely creative… GORGEOUS!

10. anne says:

I love the mirror in the fourth shot – where’s that from?

11. caitlin says:

is that a spatula/flipper on the stove?! if so where can i get one?

12. macy dawn says:

I have been wanting to “cover” our hideous kitchen cabinets with fabric and I’ve been searching for sources where this application looks beautiful- And Dana has definitely pulled off the look I am going for in her own kitchen! Thanks!

13. Gabriela says:

Yaye, no TV!
    More room for skateboards!
    Love it D, all it needs is my brass nutcracker

14. hillary says:

love the rolling bookshelf! You are so clever with managing a small space! it’s great to see all the lil personal touches.

15. sea sea. says:

hi dana! i saw the pix of us… lol. were on the internet! ;] this is nice love you. (and i saw the socktopus, dont think i missed it. :])

16. natalie. says:

that credenza is to die for – what a find!

17. Jenn says:

Yes! That Mirror! where is it from? do tell :)

18. Eileen says:

Amazing bargain on the credenza. I’ve got to stop into the second-hand office furniture store in my city. Now, what about the wall art behind the crdenza? Are those framed mini-photos of some coach or athlete or something?

19. Marge says:

Lilacs. I can almost smell them. Also agree with Sea Sea about the socktopus. Noticed it right away. Love the family photos in your work space, also textured vases. Can I order one?

20. Renae says:

I love the little ‘fun’ elements you’ve incorporated into your rooms…the sock octopus on the bed, the coloful map in the kitchen, the skateboard…

21. Cat says:

Ahhh. I feel so relaxed looking at your home. Refreshing and lovely!

22. Carl says:

Wow! The place looks so great! I have to say, for someone who has a ton of stuff, you did an amazing job at storing it all! I LOVE the new vases!!! You are so talented…come help me when I get my new house!!! xoxo

23. Lisa Archambault says:

Dana, I love your place! It is nice to see where you work on your projects for me! Thanks for sharing, Lisa

24. Colleen says:

I’d love a skateboard bookshelf for my son! I could use shelf mounting pieces & have it up on the wall. I’ll be looking for some supplies at the thrift store! Thanks for the ideas!