sneak peek: ann wood

by

annewoodpeek1
the super talented ann wood was sweet enough to share a special diy project with us, but now she’s back with an incredible sneak peek into her brooklyn home/studio near prospect park. ann typically works with vintage or salvaged materials for her work, describing the certain tenderness in the re-use and re-purposing of things that were once personal and perhaps treasured possessions. funny how the same can definitely be said for her home as well. i don’t know how you all feel, but to me, this peek into her home feels like a look into a mythical dream world (complete with castle!), so don’t miss additional images here. [thanks so much, ann!]anne

[above: I started pinning lace and dissected antique garments to the linen drapes about a year ago, to keep track of tiny pieces and be aware of and inspired by what I have.  It has grown sort of accidentally into something I love.]

annewoodpeek2

I live and work  in a small place in Park Slope Brooklyn that I like very much. It is an ideal place for making birds and owls and bats and ships, cardboard castles and other things.

annewoodpeek3

The chest of drawers  was part of my father’s workshop.

annewoodpeek41

A  shipwreck on  a roiling, boiling, frothy sea of antique wedding gowns!  And a very old table, I found it last year at the Park Slope flea market  ( 7th Ave and between 1st and 2nd ) I love the curly legs and it was almost free.

annewoodpeek51

annewoodpeek6

The paper snowflakes  over my bed were cut by my friend David Doernberg .

annewoodpeek7

I can’t function without  a big bulletin board for reminders,  plans and  experiments.  The little pile of fabrics are wonderful vintage and antique kimono sleeves, a gift from Stephen Szczepanek.  The cake stand is made from  paper mache over an armature of cardboard and a bleach bottle..

annewoodpeek8

I store my patterns, buttons, tiny pine cones,  acorn caps and other important little things in business card boxes.

annewoodpeek9

I’ve had the little velvet lamb my whole life.

img_8182

1. Catherine Wood says:

A documented account of your creative genious!!

2. Ev says:

Ann, Pure, pure magic. You are such an inspiration. Now I’m going to make one of your horses. Thanks so much for your generosity.

3. alex says:

im in love .. ! dreamy, takes me back to my childhood. Enchanting to say the least.

4. oh my! Those ship chandeliers remind me of the antique crystal ships on a budget. Well done.

5. Jojo says:

Dunno what people find so magical…and I’m not even a neat freak.

6. Bev Schwark says:

I love your place! Your definately my kind of people….Thank you for sharing your horsies, love them too. The ships and the birds are sooo cool.

7. jen says:

this is totally freaky but i wanted to comment b/c i was going to say that something about ann’s place reminds me of the movie “the science of sleep” and upon peeking at the comments discovered a few others said the same thing!!

anyway, this apartment is the home of my dreams!! i love places that really show someone’s creativity, personality and love. so inspiring!

8. Shelley says:

So many wonderful things! The curtain is absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing this look!

9. efia says:

It feels like one of those places I always wanted to be in. so many nitches to explore, so many places for my eyes to roam.

10. rayne says:

this aches with goodness.

11. jenny says:

this is absolutely lovely. it is so nice to see a space that oozes with creativity, projects, and inspiration all in one. i much prefer this sneak peak over the oh-so-neat, composed spaces that could never look that way from day to do. thank you for sharing!

12. Hilary says:

Those ships are amazing and so fantastical!

13. susanna says:

Oh my gosh, your place is amazing, beautiful, magical. Who needs to buy a home decor magazine when there are photographs such as these online?!

14. san says:

Wow! Ghostly enchanting, loved it all, it’s like walking through a concrete awesome dream!

15. I stumbled upon your site and fell in love with your work. I was wondering if you sell your paper creations such as the ships. Please contact me. Thank you so,
    Lauren

16. emma says:

Absolutely amazing!

17. Colette says:

This is like stepping into a magical world, dreamy, ethereal, yet solid. absolutely beautiful.

18. Inger says:

I love this! I am at the moment renovating my appartment in an old house – and I have so much stuff myself.
    Happy to see a contrast to the minimalism – Got a lot of inspiration now!

19. Lisa says:

Oh Ann,

How I love this sneak peek into your world. It makes me more comfortable with my own place. Like you, I also have huge bulletin boards for notes and reminders and as I work with paper, I have sheets and sheets of paper hung up on trouser hangers so that I can be inspired by seeing them! Thank you for allows us a peek into your world!

Lisa

20. minten says:

i keep coming back to this wonder

21. kimmi siren says:

I think Ann has said it best. This is not a “style” of decorating ..it is her home, her place of work and creation…her soul. We ( as a public) are consistently marketed at..by the TV , magazines, the computer and the phone!! We are fed notions of what others believe will bring us happiness: Buy this ; wear that; if you want your neighbors to like you …put this kinda blue pillow on the couch and they’ll think you’re hip!! There’s so little honesty left in most of us as to who we really and we’ve become empty glasses waiting to be filled from someone else’s glass left on the table. How sad. I bet Ann couldn’t care less what we think of her home and she’d feel sorry for the person who’d try to copy it thinking they could then magically become Ann. Anyway, I guess what I’m trying to say is ..in looking through not only Ann’s home and work space, but also all the others on this site too…remember the homes hear are not yours, they never can be..they are extensions of their owners….spaces not to be copied or marketed as a look. By all means if you love Ann’s ships buy one or two or three..love it/them ’till you can no longer; but better yet make your own something or other. If you’re not so inclined I bet you’re a good baker, or gardener…reader or helper. Go do something real ..live your own life.It seems we have lost this ability in our society and we certainly will never find our lifes’ purpose trying to have someone elses life , home or talents.

22. theaxx says:

uh!!!!!!!!!! completely amazing… those drawers are insane…

thea.
    xx

23. Suella says:

I love both the building/room and the wonderful contents. They all work so well together. I’m considering using the linen curtain technique for some of my fabric scraps that I don’t want to lose track of.

24. jan says:

…..I only see creativity and inspiration here…thank
    you!!!

25. Shelley says:

love, love most all of these creative, timeless treasures… thank you~

26. Suzanne says:

They are absolutely the most beautiful rooms I have seen since a while.
    Of course the apartment on his own has a bone structure, which helps to create, but Ann for me has absolutely sensibility for composition.
    It’s not a disorder, as some people say, there is order and structure in a free composition,
    Suzanne, from Italy.

27. gebrichi says:

I’m so jealous of your talent that my teeth hurt. Put your boat tutorial link on my blog.

28. Dr. Scott Giles says:

What a happy, beautiful place. What a space for her fertile mind to work with. Energy!

29. Kathy says:

You are a kindred spirit —my twin sister of the crafty and artsy universe! Love it!

30. Lesley from Australia says:

I have to laugh at the people who commented that it was a mess, they must be very well organized or non artists as this house is very tidy for such a talented artist, a work of art in itself. Go Ann, love your work and your ability to change direction any ole time you like, lol please keep it up, very refreshing.

31. marina urbach says:

I would give anything for that chest of drawers …..

32. marina urbach says:

I would give anything for a chest of drawers like this one….

33. Sam says:

Everyone needs a piece of furniture from their dads shop. Great space. Love the old finger block parquet floors and the intricate inlay work.

34. Dina says:

Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from
    an established blog. Is it very hard to set up your own blog?
    I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick.
    I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start.

Do you have any tips or suggestions? Many thanks