diy wednesdays: personalized wallpaper stationery

by

cards1

with all the endless emails, texts, tweets, and “pokes” flying around these days, we’ve found our appreciation for simple handmade cards growing stronger. we always keep a stock of blank stationery on hand so we can quickly whip up personalized little notes to send off to friends and family. mother’s day is the perfect excuse to send a handmade hello to the one person in your life who will appreciate it most. you can make and send a single special card, or create a whole matching set that she can use as a line of personalized stationery.

this project is adapted from our new book wallpaper projects, and is also an example of some of the fun things we’ve got planned for the two classes we’ll be teaching next month at squam art workshops in new hampshire. in addition to playing around with wallpaper, we’ll also be leading a workshop on nature-inspired crafts. we’ve always dreamed of going to creativity camp, and we can’t wait to spend a few days at beautiful squam lake making crafts and a whole bunch of new friends. hope you can join us!

happy mother’s day to all the crafty moms out there! (especially our moms, who taught us everything we know.)

derek & lauren

CLICK HERE for full instructions after the jump

cards2

here’s what you’ll need:
scraps of wallpaper (or giftwrap)
blank notecards and envelopes
scrap paper for template
pencil
metal ruler
rubber cement
x-acto blade and cutting mat

unfold a blank card and trace around it on the backside of your wallpaper. subtract 1/8” from each side and cut out.

apply rubber cement to both the backside of the wallpaper and the outside of the card and carefully adhere them together. place a heavy book on top while the glue sets.

to make the envelope liner, open the flap of the envelope and trace around it on a piece of scrap paper. subtract 1/8” from all sides and cut out your template.

trace around the template on the backside of your wallpaper, and cut out your piece.

apply rubber cement to both the backside of the wallpaper and the inside of the envelope and carefully adhere the wallpaper inside the envelope. place under a heavy book while the glue sets.

1. Laura Trevey says:

I agree, there is something very personal and special about a handwritten note.
    I am a big believer in Thank you notes!!

2. Renae says:

Um…I love these!

3. Jen says:

lovely idea!

4. Love home-made stationary…thinking about creating a card for my Mom….great idea thanks

5. amanda says:

i use those eames stamps, too!

6. rachel says:

any one have an resources for buying old wallpaper sample books? or scraps? thanks!!

7. Jenny Sun says:

This is perfect for wedding invitations! I have been trying to find decorative paper for the liners, and think wallpaper is a great idea! Thanks so much.

8. Lucie says:

I’m taking your class at Squam, really looking forward to it!

9. Chessa! says:

I love writing notes and receiving them. I love how personal it is and it makes me feel so good. these are simple and beautiful.

10. Monica says:

Those are really sweet, what a nice idea. : )

11. i just put the wallpaper book on my birthday wishlist. i’m crossing my fingers.

12. Barbara says:

These are great! Thanks for sharing!

13. This is quite an inspiring idea! How great would it be to use the left over wall paper from a room in your home. That way, when guest come over they think, wow! what an attention to detail… even her cards match!

14. Ann says:

Rubber cement tip… brush onto both pieces you are sticking together and let dry. Then, carefully, stick together to achieve a better bond.

contact interior design studios and inquire about discontinued books. they might appreciate them not ending up in a landfill.

15. cath says:

thanks – what a great idea!

16. I heart this idea….it works better then just using the wallpaper alone!

17. melita says:

oh my goodness, i love these! i am such a big fan of stationery.

18. Rhian says:

this is such an amazing idea, i absolutely love it and i know my mother would be THRILLED with a gift like this! Thank you for this post, it’s so great =)

Also, i hope it’s okay, i made a post about your site on my own blog, i just spent a ton of time here and love all of the ideas, i wanted to share it! my blog is new so i can’t say that it will bring in a lot of traffic but i just really loved this blog =)

thanks again!

19. Amanda – what eames stamps are these you speak of?!

I think I need some to fill my material void!!!

20. amanda says:

@mmv

oh! you can see them just above the coffee cup in the photo.

here they are: http://tinyurl.com/bn8asz

21. Shandell's says:

Wallpaper is so close to my heart, love to see the amazing ways to use it.

22. AC says:

where do you buy cool wallpaper?

23. amy says:

It is much easier to buy a little paper cutter than use an exacto blade! A paper cutter was seriously the best crafting investment I’ve ever made.

24. I just need more hours in my day!

25. Nancy says:

Hello,
    I love this idea!!!
    But the link for the instructions is not working.

I bought my cool wallpaper at Secondhand Rose in downtown NYC. Glad to know that I can put the extra to good use.

26. Peg says:

Love these. Can’t wait to try making them!

27. These are great! I just started making my own handmade envelopes from old children’s books and magazines. I’m so glad that people still write letters!

28. Nicole says:

Can you do a post on how to line envelopes? Or have you done that already?

29. heidi says:

if you are looking for a source for unique vintage wallpaper, check out variegated’s etsy shop….

30. Diane Davenport says:

I have used wallpaper book sample pieces another way. I make a template just for the front of a note card and then use decorative stiches from my sewing machine to attach the piece…..you can have all kinds of fun with different sewing threads and color.

31. art wave says:

i like ur handmadecard.I’ve not some papers.I’m from Burma.

32. Akrina says: