diy project: window message board

messageboard
i thought it would be fun to kick off diy day with this fun project from rebekah at orangepoppy. rebekah created a beautiful message board using an old window and a linen fabric with appliqued flowers. it’s such a great project with endless ways to customize the final look based on your own personal style. throw in some dry erase markers and you’re good to go.

CLICK HERE for the full instructions from rebekah after the jump!

messageboard2

What you’ll need:

1. An old window or picture frame
2. Fabric for background and fabric for appliqué (if using)
3. Fusible webbing such as steam a seam if adding an appliqué
4. Scissors
5. Staples and staple gun

window

What to do:

1. I already had this old window but you could use any sort of window or decorative frame – even spray paint it to add a splash of color. I like the rustic look and left mine as is. Measure the frame and add about a ½” to the dimensions and then cut your background fabric down to size.
2. Next cut out some interesting flowers or a piece of embroidery for your appliqués, I used a vintage bed linen and just cut around a few of the designs.
3. Now you are going to want to iron your appliqués to the fusible webbing, each product is a little different so follow the manufacturer’s instructions and then iron the appliqués onto the background fabric however you choose. You could also embroider around the appliqués for texture and security but I didn’t this time.
4. Now iron the entire piece of fabric as smooth as possible and clean the window glass with glass cleaner.
5. Lay the window face down on a flat surface and place the finished fabric face down on top. You’re going to begin stapling the fabric to the window by placing a staple at the top middle and then stretching the fabric and place one middle bottom. Next add a staple on the middle of each of the two sides; the idea is to simply secure the fabric evenly. Next stretch the fabric tight and work your way around the window stapling the entire piece of fabric onto your frame so that it looks tight. Trim any extra fabric.
6. Go crazy making notes with dry erase markers!

Enjoy your new message board!

1. Jnett says:

DIY is great, but I must know where the bird hook rack came from!

2. Joanna says:

I LOVE the fabric R- do you happen to know who makes that fabric?

3. erin says:

oh my! love this…and my goodness, i have the same little bird hook–found in an antique shop in wilmington, nc…wonder where the little guy came from!

4. MeanMillies says:

This is a great idea. I have a bunch of old windows laying around. This is a good way to utilize them. I’ve taken an old window screen and propped it up on my dresser. It now holds a decent amount of my earrings.

5. C.Alicia says:

That’s fantastic! Now I won’t be so scatter-brained and I can do it with style!

6. Rachel says:

I really love this… will add it to my arsenal of message-board making! What is the color green on the walls? It’s fantastic!

7. visualingual says:

Oh, that’s too cute!

8. angelune says:

I also have a bunch of old windows (well, 2) and have been thinking of making a memo board out of at least one of them.

9. Sydney says:

I believe the fabric R is from anthropologie!! I also LOVE it and have been trying to hold myself back from buying an S.

I love DIY Days!!!

10. Erin says:

I love this project.

And that bird hook! It would go so nicely in my own home!

11. jasmine says:

i love the green walls. what paint colour is it? i want that green in my kitchen- the green it is currently didnt turn out quite as i planned.

12. cjh says:

I think this is a cute idea but Oh. My. Gosh. The needlepoint in the second picture? We totally have that! My grandmother made it!

13. Amanda says:

I can’t wait to make one and hang in a guestroom that says “Welcome!” Seems like a fairly cheap and easy project!

14. Pretty. Right time to get my DIY gloves on!

15. Oh, how funny! I made something very similar last year- I painted an old window with chalkboard paint.

16. nefariouscupcake says:

Quick note; I tried the jump and wasn’t able to get to the page. Apparently the HTML is missing the H in HTTP. Just fyi :)

17. becky z-dub says:

love this idea! i have an old window laying around that i found on the street in clinton hill. been holding on to it for quite sometimes knowing SOME idea would come around for it! perfect idea! :)

18. erin from NC says:

I am the third Erin on here to speak of the bird hook but I own the same one! Mine needs a fresh coat of paint and I’m not entirely sure where it came from…Three of three Erins agree – it’s fantastic!

19. Sarah says:

I have a similar bird hook, actually, purchased at an antique shop. The hooks are made to look like small tree branches (more like tree nubs, I guess). I love it! Nice project too.

20. al says:

does it really erase ok off the glass?

21. Rebekah says:

Hi everyone, thanks for the sweet comments!!
    The bird hook (for the Erin’s :)) was found garage sailing last summer so I really have no idea where it originally came from..the wall color is Benjamin Moore #545 I love it in my little studio, it is so fresh and bright!
    Also the dry erase marker comes off super easily with a cloth!..I think that was it for the questions..you guys are so kind!
    xo

22. Emily says:

I’ve seen a bird hook similar to that one at Anthropologie

23. jenn says:

oh super cute… i’m certainly going to make one for my apt!

24. Amanda says:

I just purchased a window for $2 from a demolition salvage store here in Denver! What a steal and can’t wait to start my project this weekend.

25. Andrea says:

Just a quick warning…I’ve found many old or salvaged windows to be painted with lead paint. You may want to take this into consideration, especially if you have kids. I’ve used old windows for lots of projects…

26. Amanda says:

My project is completed and hopefully will post some pictures on my blog after this weekend- thanks for the inspiration on this project!

27. Michelle says:

Crap this is a great idea. I was wondering why I was saving that old window.

28. Crafters100 says:

What a great idea and far more attractive than a white board.

29. stacy bostrom says:

that rebekah gough is the most talented, amazing designer. i hope you feature her more, she always has so many great ideas!!!

30. Unindymed says:

Hi!
    New here and first post.
    I am boy, 21 years old from France
    I hope to enjoy here.

31. Amiguenum says:

Perhaps the most compelling sunless tanning products I’ve heard about are lotions and sprays containing dihydroxyacetone (DHA) as the acting ingredient.

Apparently the sugar interacts with the dead skin cells, a color change-over occurs. This change as a rule lasts close to five to seven days from the initial application.

I’m honestly wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to the best and cheapest option that’s known to work. I really don’t need to end up all Orange.

32. Bloodsnow says:

I am probably going to be buying a new desk for my home office. What do you think of this cool desk? Wife and I can’t get on the same side on desk for home office.

I think it is a cool looking desk but my spouse doesn’t think so. What do you people think? It is reconditioned and a quality desk for a professional office, but my spouse wishes for a new one from Staples. What do you all feel?

Thanks for your thoughts!

33. yea.thanx for sharing this blog post with me.i just found it buy google couse i was searching for
    more info about this.Ang BANG! i found your blog that was so use full for me.
    feel free to drop me email i will send small donation.
    regards noclegi krakow

34. justBOSS says:

For awhile I contemplated playing but I knew how much of a struggle it would be to
    have to begin from having nothing. Then I came across this website and decided take a risk although
    I thought it would not work out. You should buy neopoints cheap because they offer
    the best deals and are reliable and safe!

35. endoxydow says:

Just now examined the topic. Awesome work.

36. Ammabeth says:

Hi guys, I’m 21 from Sydney, just wanted to say hello! :)

37. flogrohe says:

Amtsgericht Bad Hersfeld Aktenzeichen: HRB 2126 Bekannt gemacht am: 18.02.2010 12:00 Uhr

Veröffentlichungen des Amtsgerichts Bad Hersfeld In () gesetzte Angaben der Anschrift und des Geschäftszweiges erfolgen ohne Gewähr.

Löschungen von Amts wegen

30.12.2009

Florian Grotehans Vermögensverwaltungs-GmbH, Bad Hersfeld, (Am Baumgarten 12, 36251 Bad Hersfeld).
    Die Gesellschaft ist gemäß § 394 Absatz 1 FamFG wegen Vermögenslosigkeit von Amts wegen gelöscht.

Florian Grotehans Vermögensverwaltungs GmbH vermögenslos!