diy project: kate’s pretty paper coat rack

coat-rack
april showers bring may flowers, right? let’s hope so, even though oakland is still in the showers mode. I found some gorgeous spring floral papers from snow & graham at my local art store and have decided to make may the month of pretty paper diys. have fun! – kate

CLICK HERE for the full project after the jump!

What You’ll Need:
1. decorative paper
2. coat hooks (i found all of these vintage hooks on ebay and at flea markets, but i have seen nice new ones at home stores like anthropologie and target)
3. screws
4. piece of scrap wood (you can also buy cheap precut shelves at ikea which would work fine)
5. spray adhesive
6. scissors
7. ruler and pencil
8. drill

coat-rack-materials

Instructions:
1. lay out your paper face down on a clean, flat surface. spray the front of your piece of wood with a thin, even coat of spray adhesive.

2. lay the wood down on the paper. spray the sides and back of the wood and wrap the paper around and flatten on the back like you are wrapping a present. pull the sides tightly and flatten down one side at a time to prevent air bubbles or wrinkles.

3. you can finish the sides like a wrapped present, or you can cut slits in the four corners of the overhang, remove the flap on the back of the piece, fold in the two side flaps, and then fold the flap from the front to the back and glue shut. finish both sides and glue to close.

4. now your wood is cleanly covered with the paper. if you want to seal the whole thing with mod podge or sealant do this now. this will protect against stains and rips, but it also gives the surface a slight sheen. i left mine as just the paper because it won’t be in a place that gets too much wear and tear.

5. lay out your hooks to decide placement. once you have a general idea, use your ruler to make and mark exact measurements. it will look much more professional if the hooks are evenly spaced and level. i measured everything and put tiny pen dots where i planned to drill.

6. drill tiny guide holes through the holes in the hooks into the wood. then follow with your drill or screwdriver to screw the hooks down. if you want to paint any screws, use a small paint brush to paint screws to match hooks. let those dry before touching anything.

7. measure 1 inch in from the corners and drill small holes completely through the wood. these are for your nails or screws that will attach the coat rack to the wall/door.

8. use a level to hang the coat rack and hammer nails through the corner holes you drilled.

NOTE: if you don’t like the look of antique mismatched hooks, you can spray paint all your hooks one color for a more modern look, or use wooden pegs instead. you can find these materials at home stores and wooden pegs are available at craft stores.

YOU’RE DONE!!

1. Heather says:

I LOVE this! I’ve been looking for a fun and creative way to display my hats on the wall, and this is PERFECT!!

2. Beautiful paper and what a lovely idea! I think I have the perfect spot for that…
    Thank you!

3. alexis says:

i love it, i need this for my purses and coats!

4. Heather says:

I am now in love with Snow & Graham (just purchased 4 lovely sheets of wrapping paper). Sigh. :)

5. monica says:

Kate is so talented. I love ALL her ideas.

6. Deanna says:

LOVE this…it will SOOO be on the wall in my studio!

7. Love super 77, but watch the over-spray. Learned that the hard way. Love this project by the way…so cheery!

8. Annie says:

Can someone tell me the brand of the purse? I love it! Thanks.

9. Meg says:

Just gorgeous!!

10. Rach says:

oh oh oh! i was just telling my other half that i wanted to make a hat rack.
    now after i have painted the hall wall (i’m thinking burnt orange) this hat rack will finish it off!

11. Livi says:

i would also love to know where the purse is from, i have been looking for something just like that!

12. Lesia (aka) Polkadott says:

that is AWESOME!!! Great job!

13. Liz says:

what exactly is decorative paper and where can you find it?

14. Brandi says:

I can’t wait to do this! My husband’s already charging the drill for me! :)

15. Yvonne says:

The coat rack is great, the hat hanging on the rack is fabulous. Can you point me towards the pattern??? Thx :-)

16. jenn says:

oh my goodness… i’m obsessed with hangers! i make lots myself too. really… how many things do i need to hang? i love this one though. fantastic!

17. angie says:

this is great, i can’t wait to make one of these!

18. Carol says:

Please – tell us the manufacturer of that wonderful purse ! ! !

19. kate says:

hi everyone! sorry about the late response…the purse is by miu miu. it was a present from my boyfriend purchased on ebay over five years ago.

20. Ana says:

Need to know the hat pattern as well. Also, any big-box stores that have decent decorative paper??

21. Angela says:

love love love!!! I think i need to make three…one for scarves, one for purses, one for jackets!! PERRRFECT

22. Olive says:

That purse is tight. If I was a gal I’d rock it. Do have some hats to hang, thanks for the idea.

23. Jenn C. says:

I’m not sure where to get decorative paper that big. Scrapbooking stores only have up to 12×12… is it like wrapping paper?

24. Alli C says:

I made one and I love it! I used craft paper with a repeating pattern I could easily match up on the seams.

25. Madeline says:

I want to make this with fabric!!!!

26. barry says:

this is the first time i’ve seen your blog. i love it! and i love this idea! i have a feeling i’m going to be stealing many, many ideas from here. thanks!

27. Alyssa says:

So creative! Can you tell me the dimensions of the wood?