design on a dime 2009

img_0297
last week, after my mom-hair cut (which was later fixed), i stopped by housingworks’ design on a dime event. i have a bit of a phobia about large spaces tightly packed with people, so i thought it would be fun to stop by and meet everyone as they set up and hear a bit about each space. i’m a few days late, but i wanted to share some of my favorite pictures from the event- which asks designers to create rooms, from which people buy items. 100% of the profits go to housingworks, which provides lifesaving services to homeless and low-income new yorkers living with HIV and AIDS. the rooms i loved the most were created by the visual display teams from housingworks (below), who decorated using items that had been donated to housingworks shops across the city. i hope you’ll enjoy this little tour through this year’s design on a dime, be sure to click “read more” below to see additional, full-sized images after the jump!

*unfortunately my map of the show has escaped me- i’ll add designer names to all of these as soon as i can find it. hunting now…

img_0293
img_0232
img_0233
img_0234
img_0238
[images above: booths designed by the housingworks team]

img_0257
[hable construction]

img_0277

CLICK HERE to see additional, full-sized images after the jump!

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL FLICKR SET OF IMAGES, SHOWN FULL-SIZED WITH ADDITIONAL SHOTS NOT FEATURED HERE.

img_0260
[hable construction]

img_0266
[vintage photo hangers at the country living magazine booth]

img_0270
[i loved this chair and the wallpaper behind the couch]

img_0295
[these white chairs were fantastic]

img_0299
img_0300
[money tree and entryway florals]

img_0241
[all about obama]

img_0247
[spongebob square pants room]

img_0248
[loved this red fireplace against the dark navy walls]

img_0252
[the textiles in this booth were fantastic]

1. Cool fabrics. Love that plant growing from from the frame on the wall. What is that???

Tricia – Avolli

1. grace says:

tricia

i’m not quite sure- it was gorgeous though! it was growing out of that little wall they installed.

g

2. Jamie says:

wow! so great and inspiring! thanks!

3. Mouse says:

I love the clipboards idea! What a fun way to display rotating art, or things sent from small kiddos, or latest inspiring images!

4. alex sunday says:

yeah, love those clipboards too!

5. Liz says:

The plant is a staghorn fern.

6. Andrea says:

great and inspiring!

7. Andrea says:

these are beautiful

8. I especially like the clipboards and the clothes line displays. Great for kid art!
    But the vintage photo displays….I have a holiday one from Pottery Barn for Christmas cards. I should leave it out and just put up pictures from all year!
    Thanks!

9. Kristin says:

Loving that stool!

10. i love all of it. great job!!!!

11. Wow.. the clipboards are an amazing idea for displaying art! I may have to use that in my studio!

12. Shandell's says:

The wall of clip boards are simply divine.

13. LeeAnn says:

The plant is a stag’s head fern.

14. Joddie says:

I love all of it.. it’ so.. wonderfull.. strong character and great idea.. thanks for inspired me.. good job..

15. gnomeangel says:

OMG – I love that cabinet with the sliding nine square glass panels!

16. Love the clipboards too, I’ve been using them to display pics of my grandson. easy way to switch out pictures without the hassle of frames.

17. ditto the clipboards. Genius and cheap!

18. lisa h says:

I’d like to know more about those antique photo hangers, they’re great. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

19. Saunders says:

Wow. Thanks for posting. This is great! Definitely some unique ideas!

20. Grace says:

Very unique ideas! Thanks for sharing.