sneak peek: xenia taler

by

xeniapeek1

ever since i first saw xenia taler‘s home i’ve been craving a mobile of my own. i love how they add a bit of fun and charm to her place, while still feeling sophisticated and appropriate for the space. and as an avid booklover, i’m also thoroughly intrigued by having a dining area completely surrounded by books, so be sure to click the jump below to see the full post and more images. check out more of xenia’s work right here, and if you’re looking for more inspiration for your home, you can find all of our sneak peeks here. [thanks, xenia!]anne

[above: All our bedroom furniture was originally Steven’s grandmother’s. That includes the Hudson’s Bay blanket (very Canadian). The owl mobile is by Skyflight Mobiles. ]

xeniapeek2
I think this living room best illustrates my basic design style which I would call ‘opportunistic’. The only thing in here I actually made an effort to get (besides the ceramics) is the glass coffee table which was a Goodwill find. Everything else just sort of arrived as cast-offs from friends and family over the years. The chairs I intend to re-upholster some day but for now they are wrapped in blankets – again from the Goodwill. The fantastic ceramic sculpture on the table is by Marc Egan.

xeniapeek3
The abstract tile in the bottom left corner is actually glass and is by Erica Rosenfeld. The little ceramic basket on the right is by Amy Adams of Perch.

xeniapeek4

Front hallway.

xeniapeek5
Our daughter’s bedroom. Bird mobile by Skyflight Mobiles.

xeniapeek6
The glass bottles are by Lynn Read of Vitreluxe

CLICK HERE for the rest of Xenia’s sneak peek– and additional, full-sized images– after the jump!

xeniapeek7
This is my wall of shame! Since I can have any tile I want for our backsplash I have been very slow in choosing. So after living with unfinished drywall for (I don’t want to say how many) years, I finally went to the dollar store, grabbed all they had of the ivy vynil shelf paper from 1980 and went to work. Although it’s cheap and cheerful it does not respond well to heat and has started to wrinkle above the stove. Very very soon, I will be deciding on the tile…

xeniapeek8

Ever since I was about eight years old and discovered the TV show Space 1999 I have wanted to live in a modern house with white plastic modular furniture. I remember having an argument at that time with a friend who insisted antiques were nicer while I claimed I would never live with such stuffy old things. I suppose over the years I have come to appreciate all eras of design and especially those eras that just land free of charge on your doorstep. So although I’m not crazy about crystal chandeliers and would prefer something more modern, this one came with the house and I have to admit adds some light and sparkle.

xeniapeek9

The masks are from Thailand. The large striped vase is by Alex Young. Small striped vase is by Joan McNeil and the matrushka is by Julie Moon.

xeniapeek10

Part of the dining room. The wrestling mask is by Julie Moon.

xeniapeek11

These puzzle shapes were prototypes for a very short -lived jewellery line. (They were going to be pendants.) We still love the shapes so we turned them into magnets.

1. Dana says:

Oh that little girl’s room, it’s gorgeous!

2. Amanda says:

This home is an excellent reminder that it is not what you spend, but your own personal style that makes your home beautiful.

3. I love the front hallway, it is such a great mix of practical, inviting, casual, funky and glam (with the chandelier!). I have been looking for some ideas for my entry way and this is now my inspiration!

4. gretchen says:

I love your house. . . because the style is so similar to mine. I always wonder if people think it’s too . . . I dunno. . . treasure-filled, whimsical, unusual. . . and it’s so nice to see this similar style and feel that I’m not the only one.

Love it.

5. My favorite image is og the one with the sparklely chandelier, the dining table and the wall of books. It’s just amazing!!!♥

6. ashley says:

I love the curtains in your daughter’s room. Did you make them or buy them? If bought, from where?

7. Magchunk says:

My parents collect Hudson’s Bay blankets, and I love how it fits your style and looks in your room. Maybe I should swipe one next time I’m home…

8. Beth H says:

i love that giraffe painting! it’s so cool! the whole house is wonderful & cozy & cheerful, but that giraffe just knocks my socks off.

9. Adrienne says:

I LOVE this house. The wrestling mask and all of the other little things in the dining room are really great. what a fun place!

10. Kristena says:

Oooh, I’m likin’ a lot about this interior: the owl mobile, the shield-shaped mirror in the hallway, everything in the second bedroom…

11. Kristena says:

Oh, and the wallpaper in the kitchen… Awesome!

12. kathy says:

hello.

lovely overall, but i especially love the rug in your living room! any details – please? thanks for sharing.

13. ann says:

i love the three ceramic heads!
    who made them?

14. JB says:

What a terrific place! I love the peacock, etc. under the masks from Thailand. Could you recommend a source for those?

15. Looks great guys! I love your collection of ceramics, so eclectic and colourful. Let’s have Hoppin’ John soon!

16. jen says:

i am jealous of all the julie moon in your place! [ann: the heads are julie moon: http://juliemoon.ca wish i had ceramics friends to give me their stuff!!

your house/decor is so homey & casually well designed. definitely feels like you could really LIVE there while also appreciating its beauty.

17. pergolina says:

I am thrilled to see that your home is as beautiful and delicious as your work i will always have your work in Pergolina
    see you in August.

18. Kristen says:

I love the how the vintage kitschiness is just enough, without being cheesy! Some awesome stuff, beautiful home!

19. i’m loving the mobiles… we want one so badly

20. arounna says:

looks beautiful xenia – great seeing your collections.

21. unigami says:

If you love mobiles, I’d like to invite you to visit my website to take a look at my original hand crafted mobiles. You can visit The Mobile Factory at http://www.the-mobile-factory.com

22. bea says:

hi-
    LOVE your place and especially the Gerhard Richter print. Can you tell me where you got that?

23. Yay! for clay people! What a beautiful space. And I love Julie Moon’s work as well.

24. amy says:

my kind of place. I love it all, especially the entryway hall with the floral (crewel?) upholstered vintage swivel chair.

25. Xenia says:

Thanks to everyone for all the kind comments. The Gerhard Richter poster was bought in London so long ago that I’m not sure if it was from an exhibition or not. The peacock tile is our own! Available on our website under ‘crochet’. The living room rug was a hand-me-down. The curtains in our daughter’s bedroom were from a company called ‘Home Comforts’ that I bought at least ten years ago. Thanks again Grace and Anne and everyone.

26. Karen says:

Haha, Xenia – you’re so self-deprecating, so typically Canadian! We love your home. And we’re glad we have ceramics friends too who give us stuff ; )

27. Sarah says:

Hello! Your house is just stunning. I think treasures make a house a home an d add so much sparkle….one question: where did you get the absolutely beautiful inlaid bird plaques that are on the wall above the striped vases and below the masks from Thailand? White on black is one of my favorite color combinations in art. Anyway, gorgeous and inspirational – thank you!

28. Sarah says:

Eek! Scratch that….I found them on your website! What a ding dong…..

29. shayne says:

I love the chairs wrapped in the red blankets I have a couch and chair set and the chairs look just like that (the fram anyway) would they happen to be made in Yugoslavia? our set was made in Yugoslavia they are in a tan appolstry now but in the 70’s it was a dark blue. this set for us was a hand-me-down from the parents and I LOVE the set.

30. sillysabrina says:

Wow! Very fun. What I do love most though is the owl’s. Can you say where you got them?

31. Kait says:

Such a lovely home! And lovely people too.

32. Kaarina says:

Your house is so refreshing- not too girly, but very unisex and calm. Love the ceramic heads! So fun. Only thing I have issues with are the masks- my parents used to have ones like them on their wall- freaked me out… but that’s my own issue :)

33. melanie says:

the daughter’s bedroom is absolutely perfect!