sneak peek: sarah ridgely

by

sarahridg1
it’s not often that we get to travel to fort smith, arkansas for our sneak peeks, but that’s where we’re headed today with the home of letterpress designer, sarah ridgley. it’s a fun mix of traditional and modern, all while feeling oh so liveable and functional. don’t forget to check out additional images after the jump, and you can find all of our inspirational sneak peeks right here. [thanks, sarah!] -anne

[above: When we bought this house, the fireplace in our bedroom was hidden behind a wall of fake paneling. I was so happy when we pulled it down and saw this beautiful fireplace.]

sarahridg2
the maps on the wall came out of an antique plat map from a local county court. the table is from design within reach and the white chairs are from ikea. I bought the chandelier from an old house that was being torn down. Luckily Kevin had a tool kit in the car so we could take it with us. The irises on the table are from my garden. they are my favorite flower and I have tons of them in the spring.

sarahridg3
I love green dishes! Kevin and I spent hours measuring out the holes to put up all those cup hooks.

sarahridg14
When we remodeled the house we left the Frigidaire Flair intact. I love this stove! you can fold the cooktop up and hide it when guests come, in case you don’t have time to clean it off. We added the Dutch door to let more light into the kitchen. They were really expensive when I researched buying one, so we ended up making ours.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Sarah’s peek, including additional, full-sized images, after the jump!

sarahridg5

I love my bed. The backboard is from one of my favorite stores in Hot Springs. when we remolded our bedroom we didn’t have room for bedside tables, so we carved out two nooks from the wall. That’s our puppy Fiona. She’s a cavapoo (cavalier-poodle) but Kevin calls her our Serengeti Bush puppy. He has lots of fun stories about her times in the deserts of Africa chasing wild animals.

sarahridg6

My cousin Susannah Rodger of Art Nest made the lovely journal for me.  The clock is vintage from an old clock maker’s shop here in town. It’s an original radium clock, which I guess means I should put it away before we have kids.

sarahridg7

My dad bought this antique Steinway several years ago. After moving it to our house, we had it tuned.  The piano man said it was the oldest Steinway he knew of in Arkansas. Too cool! I love collecting old sheet music. The piano bench is stuffed with it. . . We went to Europe for Christmas and I was inspired by all the tea sets in our hotel rooms. So I put this together when I came home. My friend Susan brought the table runner to us from India.

1. amy says:

I got tears in my eyes when I came to the photo of the stove. My Grandmother had a very similar one in her narrow kitchen. I LOVED it–the dual ovens were very handy. I wish I could have brought it to my house! Grandma is still alive but moved out of the house a year ago.

2. Alix says:

I grew up with this stove in my mother’s kitchen. It brings back really great memories. Wish I could find one. Thank you for the memories. Who needs new stainless when you have a Frigidare Flair!!

3. Bena says:

OH my gosh, I thought I was the only one who had that stove! It came with the house and I can’t bear to get rid of it, even though the oven doesn’t work properly. How did you restore yours? I would love to know. thanks!

4. grapeshot says:

Those white mugs with the seasonal trees on them (mixed in with the green plates and cups)? I have a set of those, too. My mother got them in the sixties, and they are a favorite of mine from when I was growing up. Sometimes I use them for an afternoon cup of tea. I love looking at each of the little trees. I always thought that those mugs were sweet, and it’s nice to see that someone else thinks so too.

5. Melinda Ehrlich says:

We own a vintage Friidaire Custom Imperial Flair oven (circa 1960) that is clean and in good working condition except for one of the burners. It is a showpiece and we are heartbroken to part with it, but we are remodeling our kitchen and a new oven is being delivered this week. Is there anybody out there who wants to take this off our hands for a nominal fee? We live in Oyster Bay, Long island in New York.

6. Cecilia L Sloat says:

I LOVE everything about this home. I am so happy to know about this site. Will be watching AT HOME magazine and sure do hope it is included. Full of ideas. Love “down to earth” ideas for the consumer.