sneak peek: oscar and emma

by

oscarandemma11
when my karly depew (of oscar and emma) and her husband, judd, moved to columbus, ohio from boston they knew they knew needed to be an area with downtown charm – historic german village with its brick streets lined with gas lamps was just the place for them. when house shopping there was long list of requirements which included good lighting, open floor plan, tall ceilings, a fireplace, and most of all it just had to feel right – this house had it all! it was the perfect base for karly to build from – starting with a white or muted palette while adding bold color and pattern (and a good way to mix and match several styles throughout the house to match their tastes). make sure you CLICK HERE to view the rest of the post where you’ll meet the real oscar and emma! thanks karly!-anne

[above: The painting above the mantle is by Jules Cannie, a dear friend of mine from my days living in Boston. It was my wedding gift from my husband. The pillows on the couch are by Dwell Studio and purchased online via Design Public]

oscarandemma2
The large beams are original to this 1850’s house. They used to be the floor to the very tight sleeping quarters above. The floors are new throughout the entire house, but each plank is a different width and length to maintain a more rustic aesthetic. I fell in love with the double-sided fireplace and skylights the moment I walked into the house.

oscarandemma3
To give the stairway to our master bedroom a more modern, open feeling, Judd knocked out the banister with a few strong karate kicks. The Nantucket ice bucket on the bottom shelf was handmade by my mother-in-law. The wood carving was purchased while on our honeymoon in Bali. We almost canceled our trip as the 2005 bombings took place 3 weeks before our honeymoon and were 500 yards from our hotel. We decided to go anyway and it ended up being the most amazing trip ever. The Balinese are the nicest people you will ever meet.

oscarandemma4
Our bedroom gets a lot of light which is very important to us. I love waking up on a sunny summer morning listening to the birds chirping outside our windows.

CLICK HERE for the rest of the Oscar and Emma sneak peek (including additional, full-sized images)

oscarandemma6
When we moved into the house, this bathroom was completely white and very sterile. We had the walls painted with stripes and replaced a large mirror with individual medicine cabinets and light fixtures from Restoration Hardware. We painted the vanity to match the walnut finish of the medicine cabinets.

oscarandemma7
This table was purchased at American Furnishings and is practically impossible to move. It is made from old industrial machine parts found in abandoned factories.

oscarandemma8
This is our little Emma in her favorite spot on our bed. . . I always have a notepad and pen at my bedside to jot down all of the design ideas that come to my mind right before I fall asleep. The best ideas sometimes come in the wee hours of the night. I made the coptic bound journal myself. I am usually not one to collect things, but I have found myself gradually building a collection of vintage earrings and brooches. The dogwood earrings on the journal are my absolute favorite find. Perfect for a spring wardrobe.

oscarandemma9
Oscar, in his favorite position.

oscarandemma10
A sampling of my favorite vintage jewelry. Whenever we travel I am always looking for a new pair to add to the collection.

1. JV says:

Nice pictures of your home, they do German Village justice. How come you didn’t feature the guest room or patio? Both of which are also excellent!

2. lizzie says:

thank you Karly! very helpful!

3. Meli lynn says:

LOVE! Excellent use of white

4. nique says:

Another to bookmark under “inspiring homes”. that makes three today! so fab! i love all the light with the punches of color. and that’s the most elegant use of that orla kiely wallpaper i’ve seen in awhile. nice to make that the statement and the rest of the room subdued. just lovely!

5. Martha says:

It seems like beautiful vintage, so you may not be able to point out a source, but where did you get the two smallish luggage pieces on the bottom shelf of the black table?

Your house is absolutely beautiful and calming!

6. sunny says:

Wow. *almost speechless here* I love the airiness, the colors, the patterns, the bedding…. pretty much everything.

beautiful.

7. Christine says:

Wow! So gorgeous!

8. I am in love.

If you check back in I’d love to know where the light over your dining table is from? I’m having a tough time finding something in a similar size (that’s not round).

9. Janet says:

Looks very sweet and homey. Love the lightness and brightness. Love the big fluffy white bed. Both my bed in my current place and my old house had a big fluffy white duvet. Currently the bedsheets are lilac – at the old house they were light greyish blue (both matching the walls). My roommate and her friends say it looks like I sleep on a cloud.

10. kate Endle says:

What a space! Thanks for sharing. I went to Columbus Collage of Art and Design and used to live in German Village- great neighborhood. Don’t forget to visit the most AMAZING sandwich shop- Katzinger’s. I used to work there in collage. Lindey’s is also a great eatery.

11. rhaya says:

This one definitely is getting bookmarked. Such a beautiful home.

12. catherine says:

oooooooh.

That is my articulate reaction to the open stairs and the amazing table. I love it.

13. caitlin says:

BEAUTIFUL!!!
    glad to see ohio in such gorgeous form.
    go buckeyes.

14. a says:

looks like pages out of a catalog for west elm

15. Debbie says:

Beautiful home! I love how white and fresh it looks.

16. Dana says:

Beautiful House Oscar & Emma!

Love the dining area especially the huge light hanging from the ceiiling between the old beams. very well set. and the yellow bedroom walls look cool and bright :) soothing to the eyes.

excellent work done.

17. wonderfull… i love the brightness of all these rooms

18. Love the white beams. And the earrings. And, the rug. Looks so fresh, so clean, so comfortable.

19. Mouse says:

There’s that orange carpet again! It’s haunting me.

20. BmoreKate says:

Thank you Karly!

21. Karly Depew says:

Martha, thanks for your question! The luggage was purchased at a little shop while on our honeymoon in Bali.

22. karen says:

gorgeous!!! i especially love the yellow-striped bathroom.

23. Heather says:

What a beautiful home! It’s so light and airy, chic, elegant and FUN!

24. colleen says:

Lovely. Added every photo to my inspiration folder.
    Wondering where you found the wonderful spinning rolodex?

25. heather says:

Karly – I’m in LOVE with your home! The kitties are just precious and make me want one! I love your table…you said it was from American Furnishings…which style is it? I couldn’t quite figure it out online. It looks fantastic. BTW, I grew up in Columbus and now live in Boston! I miss Ohio! Enjoy…thanks for sharing your gorgeous home.

26. macy dawn says:

I love the industrial dinner table! I am so jealous! :)

27. Angie K says:

Love the the ceilings! Gorgeous place, everything looks striking!

28. Karly Depew says:

Everyone has been so kind with their comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to post :)

heather, I don’t believe the table has a style name. The size was custom ordered so they just found the vintage parts and created the table based on our dimensions. So no two are exactly alike. We really had no idea what it would look like before we got it. We just knew from seeing the other items that it would be just right ;) Thanks for your question!

29. Can’t be 100% sure from the photo but the dining room table looks a lot like the stellar work from Jason Wein and his team at Cleveland Art. http://www.clevelandart.com/index.php. This company is definitely worth a look-see.

30. Jennifer Derrick says:

What paint and color is the Ivory/Cream color in the living room and dining room? It’s the most delicious neutral ever.

31. Karly Depew says:

Colleen, the rolodex is from Pottery Barn.

Cassidy, I think you might be right about the designer of the table. We were only given the first name of the designer and Jason sounds about right.

Jennifer, the paint color is linen white by Benjamin Moore. It really is delicious in person ;)

32. D says:

Hi,

Did you use Linen white in the room with the desk and lap top as well. I love love love that color and am about to repaint.

Thanks.

33. D says:

Also, what color did you use for the trim in the room with the desk?

34. Karly Depew says:

D, we used Linen White (Flat finish) throughout the studio, living room and dining room. The trim is also Linen White (Semi-gloss). Good luck with your project!

35. Sarah says:

Where is the Duvet cover on the white bed from?

36. Greta says:

I’d love to know where your couch is from in your living room. It is beautiful!

37. Heather says:

Beautiful! Where did you get the lights on the sides of your bed? The one’s that swivel out from the wall?

38. Karly Depew says:

Sarah, the duvet is from Pottery Barn.

Greta, the couch was purchased from a FrontRoom Furnishings in Ohio, but he couch is by Flexsteel. Not sure of the model no. or if it is still available.

39. Karen says:

Beautiful space! What is the paint color in the bedroom? It is a lovely warm shade that brightens up the room.

40. DesignerKim says:

LOVE! When can I move in?

41. Peter M says:

I had to squint to look at this. Is it just me, or the photos, or is this place impossibly bright? I can picture some old testament prophet sitting down with Lee Marvin in DEATH HUNT, wearing his grooved googles to prevent snow blindness.

42. Tonni says:

A truly stunning home! I love all the light and the subtle use of color. Thanks for sharing!

43. Karly,

I love your house, it is absolutely beautiful and very inspiring. Not surprising, given the gorgeous designs that you have submitted to us at Minted!

Mariam

44. Connie says:

Amazing!

45. chris says:

hey karly, do you know the name of the amy butler fabric hanging in the dining room? love it!!

46. Karin Grow says:

Ooooooh! So bright and airy. Those kitties are so adorable and lucky to be able to lounge in that abode.

47. Karly Depew says:

chris – the amy butler fabric hanging in the dining room is gold/morning glory from the Lotus collection ;)

48. Frances Conwell says:

Found your link on Moderncat. Love your home and your beautiful cats. I love the clock on your bedside table, can you tell me where you purchased it?

49. Renanne says:

Love the elegance and atmosphere of your place…not to mention your beautiful kitties. Thank you for sharing.

50. Karly Depew says:

Frances, thank you so much for checking out the post ;) Unfortunately, the clock was given to me as a gift. I am not quite sure where it was purchased and there is no brand name on the clock. Sorry!!