sneak peek: dutch door press {mara}

not only is mara murphy of dutch door press a talented letterpress printer, stationery connoisseur and business woman, but she also has an awesome home. her use of color is so warm and inviting, it must be wonderful to come home to from the chill of the san francisco air. i’m definitely feeling ready to move in! CLICK HERE for the full post (and more images!), and don’t forget to check out their studio peek as well (and their recently relaunched website). thanks, mara! anne

[above:  The stools are the comfiest bar stools ever. They are from Design Within Reach. ]

The art above the couch was a gift from my husbands sister for our wedding. It was purchased several years ago at a store called Den near our house in San Francisco. As funny as it is, the signature on the back of the painting is not legible so I am not sure of the artist. The chairs are vintage and were picked up at a little upholstery shop near my parents house in Pennsylvania.

The print above the stove was a gift that i received from a secret santa who knew me very well several years ago. It’s by Heather Amuny-Dey and you can purchase it at Velocity. The print on the right is one that I ordered just recently. It was printed by Roddy and Ginger.

The headboard is an antique candle mold that we had a friend who is a woodworker turn into a headboard for us. The birds above the bed we purchased from Anthropologie several years ago. The batik pillows on the bed are from Lotus Bleu.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Mara’s peek after the jump!

Most of the things on this shelf are vintage an collected along the years at flea markets or given to us as gifts. The frames above the shelves are made of reclaimed wood from barns.

The girl on the bike print above the rocker is by Etui. The matryoshka pillow is by Thomas Paul.

The fabric with bird squares hung above the bookshelf was a gift from my friends at my baby shower. All of the people invited were sent fabric and thread and were told to sew a bird on their square. It is by far my one of my favorite things in our house. My friends told me that if I wanted, they would make it into a quilt but I really like it as is! The elephant on the left is by Petit Collage. The framed print was a gift made by a friend for Dottie’s first birthday. She recently launched an Etsy site called Collect Red where she sells custom made prints like this.

Dottie’s room.  The art above the crib is a piece that was done by Thomas Campbell.  . . Our bathroom: This print is by our friend Janey who is the owner/designer of a greeting card and gift company called Foxy and Winston. We love her illustrations of creatures big and small.

1. Golly says:

Hi Mara! You have a lovely home. I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about your kitchen, in particular where you purchased your cabinets and what your countertop is. Thanks so much and thanks for sharing.

2. sue huey says:

I would love to know where the rocking chair is from in the kids room, we are looking for one for our little girl Iris’s room.

3. Laurie says:

I love your house Mara, I want to live in Dottie’s room, so so cute!

4. holly says:

Does anyone know what style the green chairs are? Guessing mid-century modern?

5. mara says:

golly…the cabinets are made by pedini and the countertops are made of caesarstone (in the color pebble with a 2″ lip)
    sue huey…the rocking chair is from design within reach (love the name iris!)
    shashi…our fridge is made by sub-zero

6. this is fantastic Mara, cool and cozy. love it!
    your fans in Kansas City

7. Natalie Hofffman says:

Everything so intereting and artistic–the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree. Now how on earth do you keep it this clean–and NO CLUTTER!

8. kristine says:

Lovely, lovely, lovely. I like your pops of color. Where is the crib from?

9. Karin Grow says:

What a dream kitchen. So simple and sleek. I also love the print by Roxy and Winston. I’ll have to check them out.

10. Marlies says:

I’m surprised no one has asked what color green you have on your bedroom wall yet? I’m searching for the elusive grass green color for my living room. What’s the name? and yes, I love your design and am using it as inspiration for my redecorating!

11. katie says:

where did you get the great dining room table and chairs. we are looking for a round table and having trouble finding just the right one. Your house is beautiful, clean and fresh. Love your ideas.

12. Marcela says:

Hi! congratulations! your home is beautiful, I was surprised to find the green chairs of the livingroom are a copy of one I have in my house, it´s not green, it is made of a white fabric. I just got it from an aunt´s house. I was wondering if it was made by a designer, the chair is old so we lost track of it´s first owner. I am from Mexico, is funny to find a copy of those unique looking chairs in another country. Do you know if they where made by a designer?

13. Susan Knight says:

Hello Mara: Since DWR was listed for the barstools, thought it might be O.K. to mention that your great kitchen cabinets came from Spencer Knight who is now with Korts & Knight Cabinetry in San Francisco. We love your work too Mara. The kitchen looks great! Susan Korts Knight

14. Felicia says:

I love the barstools and the green chairs in the first photo. Where are they both from?

15. Jennifer Avery says:

I am simply in love with this gorgeous home. What a brilliant mix of furnishings, art and color! I love every room!

16. Tracey says:

What a FABULOUS home!
    Mara (or anyone), thanks for all the info as well. I was wondering where you found the faux fur covering for the rocking chair in the nursery? I’ve been looking for something similar for my two Bertoia charis and I can’t seem to locate anything.
    Thanks for the great sneek peak! So many wonderful inspirations!

17. mara says:

We purchased it at Design Within Reach. It’s called the “sheepskin throw” and wasn’t to expensive!

18. Laura says:

Hi Mara,

Where did you get the white shelving unit in the nursery? I am looking for something like this for our room.
    Thank you!

19. ines says:

so cozy place! It´s a house ready to seat and be comfortable!love your house…congratulations.

20. Brittany says:

I’m speechless. This is like my dream home. What is the source/brand and color of your flooring? I can’t tell if its wood or laminate or sheet vinyl, but it’s lovely! I’ve been scouring the web for months to find something similar with no luck.

21. Ron says:

What a beautiful home. You have done an amazing job with your decorating. I love the crib. Is that made by Oeuf?