sneak peek: barbara rourke

barbarapeek1
i always love seeing into the home of designers and today we’re getting a special peek into the home of barbara rourke, part of the three-person design team at all the bells and whistles. i’ve been a fan of their team’s work for a few years now and was excited to see behind the curtain at one of their private homes. today barabara has been kind enough to welcome us into her california home, which is full of her beautiful collections of glass, arts & craft pottery and natural ‘curiosities’. i hope you’ll enjoy barbara’s home as much as i did. be sure to click “read more” at the bottom of the post to see additional, full-sized images of barbara’s home. click here for more about barbara, and here for more on all the bells and whistles.

barbarapeek21
[image above: I love my glass orbs (on my coffee table and in the bedroom) by Brittt Neubacher from Tend Living]

barbarapeek3
barbarapeek4
barbarapeek5
barbarapeek6
barbarapeek7

CLICK HERE for additional, full-sized images of barbara’s home after the jump!

1. Ariana says:

I love those beautiful metal owls! Where are they from?

2. Bette's Bags says:

I spend too much time viewing your blog when I should be working! Thanks for all the loveliness! Now to my sewing machine!

3. maeve says:

Wow! What a lush home. I love all of your glassware.

4. I want one of those glass orbs!! Thanks for giving the link, -susan

5. Marie says:

Absolutely gorgeous

6. Mackenzi says:

such an amazing color palatte….*swoon*…i love the mood it creates!

7. Kristin says:

Barbara has exquisite taste. What a talented young lady!

8. arin says:

Lovely house. Is your sofa from Urban Outfitters? Is it comfortable? Thanks!

9. nancy mims says:

I love houses that feature beautiful plants!

10. janete says:

those owls are right up my alley. so great!

11. Bonnie says:

The color combination of green dark wood and white is so fresh and yet cozy kind of like a earthly womb . . . is that weird to say? I love it and would really enjoy living in a space like that

Thank you so much for sharing!

12. Shannon says:

Agreed, those owls are awesome! Would be great to know where they’re from…

13. Julia says:

Love this. Just Beautiful.

14. kiki says:

wow! so many dark colors…but still so light and lovely! i love the glassware collection…beautiful!

15. Barbara says:

thank you for all the compliments ;-) the owls are a thrift store score. i was so excited when i found them since i had fallen in love with them after seeing them used in an interior by jonathan adler. xoxo.

16. gina says:

love everything about your home! can you tell me what color you used for your bedroom walls?

17. elizabeth says:

Where is the big white faceted rock thing from?
    Thanks

18. Shawnawho says:

I have the exact same avocado green walls and have recently been trying to decide if I was tired of them. No way-they are fresh and so welcoming! Green rules.

19. Anne-Claire says:

Gorgeous collection of carafes… i am soothed by only watching this house on a screen, i can imagine how peaceful it must be to live in it!

20. erinpeace says:

I love everything! Especially the dresser – where is it from?

21. Kristy says:

Whoa, owls and glass orbs. I think I’m so excited that I can’t even hide it. Simply divine!

22. Kate says:

Wow, that green desk is amazing! What kind of desk is it, and where is it from??

23. Corey says:

Looks great… Wondering where you found that pot that the mother in laws tounge is sitting in. Quite nice.

24. Soft Spoken says:

Those owls are very cute, but I especially like the circular accents throughout the house. The glass orbs, spherical jars, and the round Chinese hanging lanterns all tie in very well and make a very comforting interior.

25. I’ve been pining after those wire frame Bertoia chairs for a couple years now. Sigh. Such a beautiful home!

26. Barbara says:

hi friends,
    to answer some of your questions… couch is from urban. it is comfortable enough ;-) faceted vase is by frank gehry from tiffany & co (bought by my mother with a note that said “not everything has to be thrift store”) the desk is from a vintage shop. it is from a california designer from the 60’s but i can’t remember the name. the pot and dresser are also thrift. the dresser was a mess when i got it so i spent some time refinishing and now it looks great. and, i happen to find a matching smaller version at the same store a few months later. yay! you can find the pots new from gainy pottery- http://www.gaineyceramics.com

thanks for the support! xoxo.

27. Jenn Juckett says:

fantastic! The place looks phenom! Love you Babs. xoxo JJ

28. zoe says:

I would love to know the brand and color of the bedroom walls (and the living room!). THANKS! z

29. britton says:

Every space Barbara creates is like a gift to your soul. We all need some of that, don’t you think? Go Babs!

30. abs says:

beautiful home. i’m wondering if you could tell us where the bed is from.

31. Mary Rex says:

Barbara~I just heard the owls a few nights ago. hooo-hoo-hoo. they were right above me in my yard. They look like such happy spirits in your home.
    elizabeth – To me that lovely white rock looks like a paper over wire creation… like a Noguchi lamp shade. ? Barbara.

32. Julie says:

Hi… looking for this exact bedroom paint color. Is it chalkboard paint?

33. Barbara says:

trying to find the paint chip for the bedroom. i know it’s ralph lauren and i think it’s called “cafe on the riviera”. the living room is sherwin-williams “verdant”.
    abs- i made the bed at my studio ;-)

34. rachel says:

I love love love the frames over the couch. Such a nice touch!

35. Thea says:

what are the names of the colours on the walls both the one in the room and the one with the couch cause those are the exact colors we want for our new bedroom?

36. Joan says:

Great pics! I am especially interested in the glass panels in the diningroom behind the table. Are those glass…or plexi…or what? They are just marvelous!

37. Jesse says:

Such an awesome well decorated home!

38. zoe says:

love it. thank you for the paint names… am off to Ralph now. The color will look perfect in my living room. YAY.

39. Scott says:

Lovely lovely lovely… I had an opportunity to photograph Babs apt. The light, color, and objects made my job easy. Such a welcoming and comfortable place. Top notch!

40. Allie says:

I love this. It’s modern yet lacks the stiffness that most Danish modern design carries. The use of green paint and plants bring a tropical feeling to the room without the use of bright neon colors.

41. steph says:

i want to go to there. again.

42. rebecca says:

i love how i got bored so i started typing my familys name in google and then this comes up! barbie your so talented and i love your house! and i wanna come visit soon :) haha you’ll probably never read this but i felt like leaving a comment. when i get my own house (in like ten years) i deff want you furnishing it!