sneak peek: angela liguori

dettaglio-living-room_1
today’s second sneak peek belongs to designer angela liguori of carta inc. angela creates beautiful invitations, hand-bound books, and sells beautiful italian cotton ribbon among other products. i’ve been a fan of her work for some time so i was thrilled to get a peek into her family’s boston home. she’s also included a little peek into her office space so be sure to click “read more” below to see full-sized images of both spaces. thanks so much to angela for sharing her home with us!

[image above: My family and I moved just a few months ago to this apartment in the Boston area. For the first time, after several years in the US, I feel more at home. Everything was so new, with white, freshly painted walls, I didn’t think we needed to repaint with any colors, at least for now, as so much was already coming from surrounding elements in the apartment. The prints on the sofa are by Pablo Echaurren, and they were the first pieces in my collection of prints which started, without knowing, when I was 16 and worked in an art gallery in Rome! The red cabinet (see full sized image after the jump), even though seams an antique piece, we actually purchased it recently at Crate and Barrel. The lamp is one of the endless pieces I rescue from the street. (I’m always amazed by how much you can find abandoned here in America.) The silkscreen pillows on the sofa are by designer Valerie of Pikku and Elisabeth Bentz. All the Kilim rugs and textiles in our place were purchased by my husband on his last trip to Syria, where he is from. The vintage, side table is my latest addition, I bought during a trunk show at Pod, with no doubt, my favorite shop in Brookline. I also like to stack books in different parts of the house and be surrounded by them. Not only for reading, but as purely aesthetic.

tavolo-blue-ok-copia_1
[image above: This is our entry way. I bought the blue restaurant table with two chairs, years ago at an antique shop in Michigan, when we used to live there. Little did I know then how famous the same blue table would become through the beautiful photos by Maria Vettese. I was amazed when I realized I had the exact same table! Stack of a small collection of Japanese books, Ikea lamp, and tote bag by Susy Pilgrim Waters. I have several in different designs and I leave the bags everywhere around our home, to carry parcels on my almost daily trips to the post office. Luxury Apartments print by Julia Rothman, I acquired by trading with one of our limited edition book.]

hallway-copia_1
[image above: This is my studio and the hallway with prints, mostly wood engravings and etchings. They are by artist friends or products of collaboration, collected over the years; This image brings you to my studio, housed in our apartment, which allows me to work even with my small children! Also visible is the table top Kelsey Press from 1928, which sits under my working desk, until I find the proper location.]

desk-copia_1
[image above: My computer desk as it looks like this morning. I still have the Valentine card from Michael Osborne, with the perfect letterpress heart. With other letters and images that I like to keep close by when I work. They all keep changing frequently. The hand-painted tile, with a bird, is from the historic ceramic town of Caltagirone in Sicily, a present from Silvana I had for years and always on my desk. The pink and marigold cup is an antique piece by Richard Ginori, I found again at an antique shop in Michigan. I like to use it with my coffee to start my day!]

mensola-rossa-2copia_1
[image above: Red hand-painted wood shelf, rescued as it is, from a past NYC Stationery Show, from a nearby booth; now it is on top of my computer desk, almost as an inspiration board.]

CLICK HERE for the rest of Angela’s peek (and full-sized images) after the jump!

camera-da-letto-copia_1
[image above: In the bedroom the hand-embroidered bedspread is also from Syria. The display of origami was a housewarming present from my beloved.]

camera-bambini-2_1
[image above: This is a detail of my children’s room. In the big mix, are vintage wood toys and children books, I like to collect.]

origami-copia_1

1. jenn ski says:

Angela makes beautiful books!
    I took one of her classes last year, it was so much fun!

2. What a cute space! Inspiring.

3. Ella says:

I ADORE the small teal table in front of the couch!!! The stacks of books are great, makes each room very inviting. What a great and cozy home.

4. Iva says:

what a lovely place! I really love it – so sunny and full of colour, very pretty! I LOVE the blue print over the blue table :)

5. Bethany Rose Hildenbrandi says:

love the bed spread

6. Narineh says:

Love the blue desk/chair and the whole vintage yet contemporary look of this house. Beautiful and serene.

7. stacy di says:

what a beautiful home. love the table and chair…and your bedspread is dreamy!

8. karina says:

I love the place, I really like the wooden pieces painted in turquoise!

9. very cool, great light going on through out the house.

10. Krishna Lewis says:

Angela is a true artist, as one can tell from this peek into her home. Such a pleasurable and warm combination of colors, details, and shapes ! Can’t wait to see her latest products!

11. jHill says:

Beautiful! Angela has some great dinner party invites :)

12. rifferaff says:

so happy to see angela here! she’s so sweet and generous and i am obsessed with her ribbons. love the embroidered bedspread!

13. Erin says:

A pop of turquoise against a neutral background never fails to impress me.

14. All the personal objects really make this house special. I especially love that Syrian bedspread.

15. Does that letterpress underneath that desk need to be rescued?

16. angela says:

Thank you for all the great comments! I would invite you all for a cup of tea in my house!
    About the table top press, I’m sorry, but I just bought it a few months ago and I’m still thinking where it should go and how I will be able to use it. Most likely, I need to rent a studio and find more space somewhere else. This is the plan for next year! hopefully!

17. Angela says:

Oh, thank you so much for posting this! I had the pleasure of taking a bookbinding class with Angela about a year or two ago and she is just wonderful. I knew her home would be beautiful.

18. Oh it pains me to see that Kelsey under your table, then again my press sat on a hearth for a year.

19. unitb612 says:

thanks for posting this! the living room and entry way are so great! i love how it’s subtle with key colours that pop!

20. jill says:

these pictures of angela’s home are lovely! i love the way she combines bright colors and patterns against a white backdrop. everything just works so well together. congrats, angela on a great sneak peek!

21. ciao angela… casa dolce e sognante.. come te probabilmente… la stanza del tuo bimbo una vera coccola…..
    grazie per questa visita, sembra di essere un pò lì…
    ciao georgia

22. Antonio Liguori says:

Va bene, sono il fratello, ma questo non significa che sono meno critico nei suoi confronti! Anzi lo sono stato sempre molto…Anyway, la casa mi piace, e nonostante i suoi bellissimi figli (cioè miei nipoti) riesce a mantenerla in uno stato per lei ideale, passando da colore a colore, da forma ad essenza. Se continua così… ma ne riparliamo fra una decina d’anni. Intanto auguri. Toni

23. Sophie says:

Cara Angela,
    Alessandra showed me the photos… we both think they are just wonderful! I really love the splashes of color that are in each room — the teal table in front of the couch is so fun and inviting. Also, the light filters through your house beautifully! I can’t wait to visit one day…
    Sophie

24. tyler says:

love the splash of blues and reds. your backyard is gorgeous. and i share your passion for all things japanese and the well-deserved nod to aldus manutius. just lovely.

25. Karin Grow says:

Amazing! I love the little splash of turquoise here and there.

26. claudia says:

grazie dell’invito a casa tua. Molto carina, delicata e luminosa. Brava! …però io e Tommaso siamo convinti che hai eliminato le foto messy “after the kid’s play-time”
    Spero di venirmi a prendere un caffe’ da te presto.

27. Annie says:

I’ve admired Angela’s work for some time. The most beautiful books and cards! It is such a treasure to see her home.

28. Marie-Eve says:

I love the blue restaurant table and chair. I like when we find in houses some unexpected things.