in the kitchen with: yaling hou of flowie

fried-cheese_06
I think this week’s “Cheese Fry” submission by Yaling Hou of Flowie Style wins for the simplest and fewest ingredients we’ve ever posted here in the column, and probably ever will. Even if you’re scared of frying things, this is so easy, you can’t go wrong, really. Yaling mentioned that her husband, who is Japanese, says you can find this food in Japanese bars and he eats them simply sprinkled with salt, no dipping sauce required. I personally think of mustard or some spicy chutney whenever I think of cheeses. And while I am too “healthy” to eat cheese on even a semi-regular basis, I think if you’re going to eat or serve fried cheese, you may as well make it a night and have all those other things you know you shouldn’t eat too much of, but they taste so good you have to indulge every so often. Enhance your fried food free for all by varying the types of cheeses. -Kristina

yaling-head-shot
About Yaling: Yaling Hou is the designer and the founder of the lifestyle design company, Flowie. Launched in 2007, Flowie designs and manufactures refreshing fabrics, bags, home accessories and other fashion accessories. Yaling Hou was born and raised in Taiwan. She currently lives in Redwood City, California, with her Japanese husband and their adorable Maltese dog. [Click Here for a Sneak Peek of Yaling’s home!]

CLICK HERE for the full recipe after the jump!

fried-cheese_26

Cheese Fry

Ingredients

• 1 pack of Dumpling wraps

• 1 block of Monterey Jack cheese (or Mozzarella cheese)

Vegetable oil for deep-frying

Salt

fried-cheese_17

Cut cheese into ½ inch thick, 2 ½ long sticks. Layer two dumpling wraps together. Dab water on the edge. Wrap a cheese stick inside two dumpling wraps. Heat oil to a hot temperature (356 to 374°F). Fry the wrapped cheese sticks for about 30~45 seconds until the wrap becomes golden brown and before cheese melts. Sprinkle a little salt over the cheese fries before serving. And, enjoy!

Note from Yaling: The particular type of dumpling wraps I use are thin so I use two wraps together. If the dumpling wraps you purchase are thicker, you may use just one layer. Also, the cheese doesn’t have to be Monterey Jack or Mozzarella cheese. Try different kinds to find the taste and texture you like.

Note from Kristina: If you are a first time fryer, please never ever ever leave hot oil unattended, not even for one second. Resist any and all temptations to be distracted! Since the frying is so quick, it should be easy to prepare all your wraps, heat the oil, fry right away and remove the oil from the heat. If a fire does occur, do not try to put it out with water. Cover it with a damp towel. (click here for an instructional frying video on youtube)

{photography by Kristina Gill, all porcelain by mud australia.}

1. Aneta says:

Ha! Cheese fry! I might just try it… it sounds delicious :)

2. Kristan says:

Um, unrelated to the dish: how cute is she in that photo?! Adorable. I love her hair and scarf.

3. Shanon says:

Cheese, glorious cheese! Now I’m so hungry. This is a perfect idea for a Friday night.

4. Mindy says:

I’ve done something similar but wrapped the cheese in philo dough which works great too. Then I topped the stick with honey and chopped figs.

5. Orchid64 says:

This sounds great (but very naughty). It must be regional because I’ve lived in Tokyo for 20 years and I have never seen anything like this on a menu here. Perhaps it’s more popular in places like Hokkaido where there is a lot of milk production. I can’t even find Monterey Jack cheese in regular markets!

6. The ultimate indulgence!

7. Twinkle says:

Nice alternative to the batter-dipped/breaded fried cheese. I’m not above eating it as it’s not something on my everyday menu!

8. Muoi says:

Gret recipe! I lived in Nagoya for a year and had fried cheese all the time. It was so delicious and a bit decadent. Oh, how I miss it!

Thanks!

9. Amanda says:

I too am in love with her scarf and wondering if it’s from this season and from where!?

10. Anna @ D16 says:

FRIED CHEESE. I think I could eat this for every meal, every day.

11. Tiffany says:

Yu-um! Fried cheese anything is awesome, and this is so simple. I can’t wait to try it!

12. Gina says:

Yum! I love cheese, I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

13. My good friend and I have a “cheese party” once a week (counter balanced by days of “green juice”), this will be so fun to try! The endless combinations! I’m thinking something moldy on the inside with something sweet to dip it in. btw… does anyone know of a good cheese themed blog?

14. small clever rooms says:

I will never be too healthy for cheese. ESPECIALLY fried cheese. In fact, I might need to follow Treehouse Collective’s idea and start having some cheese parties. Great idea!

15. Twinkle says:

@Treehouse Collective: There’s “Curd Nerds” but that’s the only one I know of…

16. Erica says:

I had something just like this last night with the addition of some spinach thrown in! It was ridiculously good…

17. kristina says:

haha I meant “healthy” in the Hefty Hideaway Girl sense…

18. Erolf says:

I like your blog, I am french and it’s so funny when you bring cheese for a japanese food? I don’t anderstand everything, but I look your picture and designs. It’s so beautiful :D

19. Rona says:

I personally love “queso para freir,” it’s a white cheese that you fry in a little bit of oil. You can find in just about any supermarket in Queens and it’s salty and delicious.

20. geekdetails says:

I love these! I used to eat them at the “cheese roll noodle” near Misawa AFB in Japan. They’re fantastically bad for you and yet oh so yummy. Thanks for sharing the way to make them

21. alex sunday says:

i believe everything is improved by frying and salting, and as cheese is my weakness, these can only be heaven.

22. Raii says:

omg. cheese is like my favorite food… but fried cheese?!… I’ve died and gone to heaven!

23. stellaQuinn says:

the website for Flowie is amazing, love her products! Also- I found her adorable scarf on her site…be sure to check it out!

24. katie says:

I ate these in my 2.5 years in Misawa Japan as well, I missed it so much that my husband had our old pastor in japan ask one of the japanese members to send us the recipe. I have introduced so many people to them including a local restraunt in North Carolina that will now cook them for anyone who requests it… Try them– WARNING You WILL get addicted!

1. Ray says:

Do they taste like the ones in Misawa? That’s exactly what I’ve looking for? What cheese??
      Plus the cheese roll noodle used soy sauce and another brown sauce, so you know what that was?
      Thank you! I left Misawa 16 years ago and still dream of the good there! Thanks!
      Ray

25. alaa says:

We eat fried Arab cheese but without a wrapper and fry in in a shallow pan with olive oil.

26. lil_mimiluv says:

We have this all the time & another option is to use dip instead of salt (mayo + catsup) and you’re good to go.

27. Nicole says:

I used to eat cheese rolls at Cheese Roll and Noodle in Misawa too about 10 years ago. I miss that place soo much and actually have dreams where I go back and eat the cheese rolls, yakisoba and beef donburi. Katie, do you know what kind of cheese they used at Cheese Roll and Noodle? When I asked that at the restaurant they just said “Japanese Cheese”. Also, if you have any other recipes from there I would love have them!! :-)

28. Rachel says:

Nicole- you can’t get the chesee here inthe U.S. I have been searching for it for 6 years. However; it is a regtangular block, clear wrapping, with red stripes around it. Remember the chicken lady outside of Red Dawgs? The best Yakitori ever.

29. Christin says:

I lived in Misawa for 7 years and cheese rolls were my favorite!! I miss them, plus all the other awsome food..will have to try it and see how it ocmes out:)