in the kitchen with: sabra krock

Today’s recipe comes from food photographer and blogger, Sabra Krock. Her delicious recipe for maple sour cream walnut muffins has been staring at me from my desktop all week, begging to be made. So in a few minutes I’m off to buy the ingredients and bake my own batch for the weekend. If you’re looking for a tasty way to wake up your family or loved ones this weekend, Sabra’s muffin recipe is just the ticket. Thanks so much to Sabra for sharing her recipe with us- and these beautiful photos! Click here for the full recipe (and more photos) after the jump, or just click “read more” below. Happy Baking!

About Sabra: I am a Manhattan-based food photographer, food blogger and owner of a small dog product business. I have enormous passion not only for photographing food, but also for cooking (and eating!) it. I do all of my own cooking and styling for my shoots. I love baking in particular, with muffins among my favorite things to create. These muffins are moist and have a wonderful, subtle maple flavor. Feel free to spice them up as they would be great with a 1/2 tsp of allspice or a pinch of clove. I have a weakness for pretty baking vessels and have a large collection of ramekins, custard cups, bundt pans and moulds. I also love paper baking cups and pick up unusual shapes, sizes and patterns whenever I see them. One of the photographs shows a snippet of my “brown” collection. I love using different shapes in a single recipe to shake things up – just watch your baking time.

CLICK HERE for sabra’s maple sour cream walnut muffin recipe after the jump!

Maple Sour Cream Walnut Muffins

(makes approximately 12 standard sized muffins)

For the batter:

For the topping:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 Tbs butter, chopped
Scant 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped small
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Whip butter in an electric mixer. Slowly add maple syrup to combine. Add eggs, one at a time. Add sour cream. Add vanilla extract. Combine dry ingredients (except nuts). Add to butter mixture. Stir to combine. Stir in walnuts. Fill muffin cups approximately half full with batter.

Combine ingredients for the topping. Use your fingers to pinch butter and break into pea-sized pieces well-combined into rest of ingredients. Generously spoon topping over muffin batter.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.

1. This post is like an analogy for my dream home, lol. Not only do I adore the recipe (who doesn’t LOVE maple and walnuts) and subsequent sweet scents that would waft through my home, but also the style in which these photos were taken are equally delectable…and, in the styling to which I’d love to build my dream home someday. Lovingly rustic and comfy :)

2. Michael in Placitas NM says:

Stumbled onto Sabra’s photography and was wowed. I totally get it! I live in the mountains and bake almost every day. At 7k feet it ‘s challanging.

3. rose fanucci says:

I would like to bbeput on your mailing list

4. Chez Us says:

GORGEOUS photos! I love the muffin papers. Where do you find them??? Thanks!

5. yogurt sauce says:

Simply want to say your article is as astounding. The clarity in your post is simply cool and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work

6. Dianne Unterbrink says:

Funny….so many comments about the baking pan in the photos. I have one that was given to me by my grandmother. Never thought much about the pattern at all until I read these comments. I have quite the treasure it seems.
    But the real amazement is the muffins themselves. My favorite ingredients, all combined into my favorite breakfast. How delightful! I’m making these tomorrow and probably too often afterwards! Can’t wait for that first taste….ahhh…..

7. Briana says:

The flavors here are good; however, far too much leavener!!! The batter puffed so much that I had a lot of excess that was wasted. They then puffed up even further in the oven, so much so that they nearly overflowed the pan. I would reduce to 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda.

8. Shannon says:

I made these muffins, as well, which was a bit of a leap of faith, as I have been avoiding maple things since accidentally spilling maple extract in my kitchen about 9 years ago (that smell haunted me forever). I didn’t have any issues with the salt (though, i admittedly like things a bit less sweet), and I was fine with the amount of leavener. Very full, as well, and came out super light and fluffy. My husband (whom i have made into a very tough critic over the years) said this is the ONLY muffin recipe we should use. And my 3 year old loved them, as well, and she’s normally a bit snobby about nuts. I also had to bake for much longer, so the convection oven makes sense.

9. Barbara says:

I just made these muffins today… delicious!!!! All twelve were gone in a second… I followed the recipe step by step.. no corrections needed…next time (most likely tomorrow – my family loved it) I will add a small piece of white chocolate in the middle. Thank you for sharing the recipe!