in the kitchen with: jewels of new york (part 2)

last week we shared sabra krock’s delicious maple sour cream muffins (and beautiful photos) and this week we’re keeping the brunch theme going with another fantastic recipe from diana and lisel of the jewels of new york. today they’re sharing a savory farmhouse breakfast: chicken hash with fried eggs, a citrus melody and a seriously temping mango apricot sparklers. this is a great recipe if you’ve got some leftovers sitting around- diana and lisel say they’ve even done this recipe with leftover thanksgiving turkey or corned beef after st. patrick’s day. so gather up some ingredients, a few lucky friends and enjoy this delicious farmhouse meal from the jewels of new york.

also, if you’re looking for something sweet for the end of brunch, diana and lisel have a beautiful new collection of cameo-inspired mother’s day cookies (available through may 4th) and earth day cupcakes! you can pick up the cupcakes and a box of 4 cookies (perfect for mother’s day) right here (you can also pick up the cookies at blue apron in park slope!)

ps: if you missed the jewels’ first recipe (crab soufflés, spring salad with lemon tarragon dressing, classic beignets, and pink grapefruit cocktail) click here to get shopping. here for a sneak peek into diana and lisel’s beautiful homes.

Photographs by Julie Ho

CLICK HERE for the full recipe after the jump!

Farmhouse Breakfast

Chicken Hash with Fried Eggs

Serves 6

1 whole rotisserie chicken, shredded and chopped into bite sized pieces
2 beets, boiled until tender, peeled, and cubed
2 large russet potatoes, boiled until tender and cubed
2 carrots, peeled and cubed
1 onion, finely chopped
6 large eggs
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
herbs to garnish

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, saute carrots and onions until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Then add in chicken, beets, potatoes, salt and pepper and continue to cook until golden and crispy on the edges. Divide hash mixture onto 6 dishes.

In a small skillet, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat, fry eggs one by one and set onto hash mixture.

*Rotisserie chicken can be found in prepared foods section of grocery store.

Citrus  Medley

2 pink grapefruits
3 oranges
2 small blood oranges
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1 sprig of mint, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons honey

With a small sharp knife, remove peel and pith from grapefruit, oranges and blood oranges. Working over a bowl, cut the segments out from in between each wall. Squeeze juice into the bowl before discarding. Mix in honey and mint. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour. Sprinkle with pine nuts before serving.

Mango Apricot Sparklers

3 cups apricot juice
3 cups mango juice
1 bottle sparkling water
1 bunch mint leaves

Gently mash mint leaves to release flavor, add fruit juice and sparkling water to taste.

*Ceres brand preferred.

[diana and lisel have a beautiful new collection of earth day cupcakes and cameo-inspired mother’s day cookies available through may 4th. you can pick up a box of 4 cookies (perfect for mother’s day) right here for $25 (you can also pick them up at blue apron in park slope!)]

1. Sam says:

I love how they set the table. I wonder what the drinks are?

Sam @PrettyLovely

2. Put an egg atop pretty much anything, and I’ll devour. Pretty.

3. Gina says:

OOHH this recipe sounds so good! I would love to make this for my mom for mother’s day!

4. no1uno says:

simple recipe with a surprise addition – beets! I was looking for something to do with the beautiful beets I bought this week.

5. Erin says:

That egg dish looks yummy. My husband has been looking for an excuse to make beets. We’ll have to try this!

6. Stacey says:

I don’t even like eggs but that image makes me want one. :)

7. Johnny P says:

I work with Diana at The Betesh Group. I just got off the phone with her telling her I am going to engulf this this weekend out at the beach house. I will report back on taste.

8. Catherine says:

All of this makes me hungry! So beautiful!

9. anne says:

looking amazing again!!

10. Joyce says:

That breakfast looks delish!! Definitely going to try it out one weekend. Yummm…

11. Check out my personal recipe & photographs for a yummy breakfast consisting of DIY Whole Wheat Pancakes.

12. Johnny P says:

Ok I made it. Was most delicious. Photos at

13. elissa ehlin says:

That table is so spot on in so many ways.

14. Jen Herr says:

I just made this tonight for dinner. SO delicious. I’ve never cooked with fresh beets before, so it was a welcome challenge!