diy wednesdays: wallpapered medicine cabinet

diymedcab1
No one wants visitors snooping in their medicine cabinet- but hey, if they’re going to do it (and they are) you might as well give them something pretty to look at. Introducing color and pattern into this normally bland, antiseptic spot might even distract them from scrutinizing your personal stuff.

CLICK HERE for the full project* after the jump!

*This project is an excerpt from Lauren and Derek’s new book, Wallpaper Projects: More Than 50 Craft Ideas for Your Home, from Accents to Art.

Materials:
Cabinet
Wallpaper

Tools:
Measuring tape
Pencil
X-Acto knife
Metal ruler
Spray adhesive

How-to:

1. Remove the shelves and measure the back and bottom of the cabinet.

2. Measure the tops, fronts, and bottoms of the shelves. Add up the total measurements for one piece of wallpaper that will wrap around each shelf.

3. Transfer your measurements onto the back side of your wallpaper, and cut out your pieces using an X-Acto knife and metal ruler as a guide.

4. Apply an even layer of spray adhesive to the back side of the wallpaper pieces and carefully line the back and bottom of the cabinet.

5. Apply adhesive to the shelf pieces and wrap them around the shelves.
Place the shelves back into the cabinet, and let them dry overnight.

1. Ry says:

Wow! What a great idea. So simple I can’t believe I never thought to do this before….

Thanks for sharing!

2. Ginger says:

I love it! The perfect way to transform an ugly cabinet! Better start looking for the perfect wallpaper now . . .

3. Kara says:

Ok, this might be a dumb question…but what the heck does “after the jump” mean?? You say that all the time, and I have no idea what you’re talking about.

By the way I love the medicine cabinet. Especially the green color of the wallpaper.

4. Kara says:

Gorgeous! I’ve seen so many creative uses for wallpaper, I have got to get me some!

5. anne says:

kara – we write “after the jump” when we have long posts that will take up too much room on the main page. so you have to click “read more” [the “jump”] in order to view/read the entire post :)

anne

6. Kara says:

Ooooooooh ok.
    Thanks. :)

7. sarah says:

I did this a year or two ago with a pretty sheet of paper and it’s held up great. I was actually inspired by a post on design*sponge about lining drawers with patterned paper instead of boring contact paper.

8. CoCo says:

Hi there! This looks fabulous! However, when I clicked read more it took me to an error page. Just thought you should know. Thanks!

9. Shelley says:

So cute!!! I love the whole thing!

10. I have always been a fan of doing this, it’s always a pleasant surprise.

11. Whitney says:

Is there a way to make the wallpaper shelves easy to clean? I feel like some of my eye makeup remover spills down the side or contact solution would ruin the wall paper.

12. Lauren says:

Hi Whitney-

Most wallpapers are coated and are able to withstand an occasional wipe-down. Otherwise you could cover the shelves with a layer of clear contact paper.

13. jessica says:

Where is that wallpaper from? I love it!

14. kay* says:

i did this using pretty wrapping paper and double sided tape. it looks wonderful and has held up great.

15. Rosebud says:

Such a great project. And beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

16. jess says:

LOVE that cabinet! I’m feeling somewhat inspired to take on my hideous bathroom.

17. christiana says:

Hi Lauren and Derek – So exciting! I can’t wait to see all your fabulous projects in the book! Love the cover :) Congratulations!

18. Britt says:

Where is the wall paper from cause I LOVE IT!!!!

19. Kelle says:

I love this idea. It’s really gorgeous. And what a great way to refurbish an old, rusty medicine cabinet rather than purchasing a new one!!

20. Tilli says:

all of these inspiring wall paper ideas makes me want to get my hands on some wallpaper! Love this idea, totally transforms the cabinet.

21. Amy says:

That wallpaper is gorgeous – perfect for a project like this! The cabinet looks like it belongs in a spa now.

22. okay…we need to do this at the shop!!! at least customers will see lovely wallpaper along with first aid and deodorant!! hee hee..thanks guys.

23. scseattle says:

Please tell us where you found this wallpaper- it is exactly what i have been looking for for my kitchen cabinets!

24. Lisa Falzon says:

*giggles*
    Lovely cabinet

But as a tip the way to stop guests getting peeks at your cabinet what you can do is fill up the cabinet with marbles before a dinner. Then if they swing the door open… whoosh! Embarassment. :P And it’ll teach them not to snoop!

Hehe :P

25. Love this! We’re starting to plan for a bathroom renovation, and I hadn’t considered revamping a medicine cabinet, but now I’m on the search for an older cabinet that I can dress up. Thanks!

26. Karen says:

For the people who asked about the wallpaper, I’m pretty sure that it’s the Green Wild Flower paper by Ferm.

27. Karen says:

Here’s a link where you can see a bigger picture of the wallpaper

28. MJ says:

Can you tell me where the cabinet is from? I’ve been looking for something cute and unique. Thanks!

29. Betty819 says:

What a nifty idea! You’ve been peeking into my medicine cabinet, haven’t you? Will that wallpaper stick to glass shelves?

30. elizabeth says:

i love this idea! i want to do this in my medicine cabinet and also line the shelving in my apartment, but i have a feeling my landlord will want me to take it down when i move. do you know if there is anyway to remove paper that’s been applied with adhesive spray? thanks for your help!

31. Katherine says:

I’m thinking of doing this in the of a built in bookcase I have…question, how difficult will it be to take it up in the future in case I don’t want to have it forever?