diy project: kate’s tin travel candle

i can’t get enough of these altoids tins! they are so useful. this week, there was a small earthquake in my area and it got me motivated to start getting prepared for emergencies. i covered this tin with pretty paper to make a nice travel candle (mint scented…get it??), but you could make a bunch of these quickly for emergency kits, camping, etc. enjoy! – kate

CLICK HERE for the full project instructions after the jump!

What You’ll Need:

1. altoids tins
2. candle wicks
3. wax (i used microwaveable soy wax from a craft store)
4. mod podge (a glue/sealant available at craft stores. it is non-toxic and non-flammable
5. decorative paper
6. pencil
7. scissors
8. paint brush
9. wax coloring or scents (optional)

1. clean the altoids tin thoroughly.
2. trace the top and bottom on your paper and carefully cut out shapes.

3. measure the width of the sides for the top and bottom. for the bottom, measure to the bumps on the front side where the top and bottom connect. (my altoids tin is .25 in and .5 in thick) and cut a long strip in each width.
4. separate the top and bottom of the tin. spread a layer of mod podge around the rim of the bottom tin and wrap the strip around. press down and cut off any excess paper. smooth down the edges with your fingers to wipe off any extra glue.

5. spread mod podge on the flat base of the tin and place the paper over it. smooth out any bumps and snip around the sides to clean the edges.
6. repeat with the top of the tin. you can cover the holes and bumps and then cut them off later.
7. when the papers are all attached, paint a thin layer of mod podge over all of the papered part of the the tins. this smooths the edges and seals the paper to protect it.
8. let dry completely and reattach the two pieces. clean any glue off the inside of the tin with a paper towel and soap.
9. glue the wicks onto the base.
10. heat the wax and pour to directly below the hinges in the back.
11. let the wax dry. trim the wicks.
12. if you want, you can attach a small pack of matches to the inside of the top lid so you always have a light!

1. rita says:

It was s o great o stumble upon this site. I loved the idea of using those cans!! Thanks for being so creative, I am a copy catter myself.

2. rita says:

LOVED your clock idea also.!!!!!!!

3. autumn says:

do the metal containers get hot when the candles are lit?

4. Stephanie says:

What a wonderful idea! I currently store metal letters in mine and I made a tiny jewelry box for my daughter. Would love to try out the candle. Makes a great gift!

5. Ashley says:

You might not want to make this with mod podge: Inflammable means that it IS flammable. look it up :-)

1. grace says:

thanks for spotting that- i looked it up to double check and mod podge is NON-flammable. so it’s safe to use for this. i changed the wording, thanks for catching it :)

6. What a wonderful idea.

7. Athena says:

That is a really good idea! I might try that one day soon. :)

8. Nathan says:

I took a thick stout Yankee candle. Cut out the wick. Crumbled the wax and did it with a second one (matching color and scent). Then I melted the wax to mold it and I stuck in the wicks at the last seconds of cooling so they’d be stuck in! Then I trimmed the wicks down and I always carry two. One in my pocket and my pack. With a BIC next to each. Great for some relaxation. Especially if I can’t fall asleep. I have about 10 of these made :O

9. Deb says:

If I bought a 10 pound bag of wax, would you know how many candles can be made from that?

1. Grace Bonney says:

it depends on the size of the candle/tin you want to use.