diy project: gold leaf rocks

i’ve always had a soft spot for rock art. there’s something about it that reminds of of summer camp west virginia and drawing with paint on river rocks. so when kate did a linocut stamp project with rocks the other week i started looking around for great rock-related projects. one of the projects i loved came from claire chauvin, a photography teacher in texas. her gold leaf river rock project is elevates rock-art to a whole new level and sure beats the painted rocks i made when i was younger. this would be such a fun way to personalize a tabletop, give a quirky gift to a friend (monogrammed?), or just spend an afternoon making something pretty for your home.

CLICK HERE for the full project instructions.

[ps: emergency wedding project help– does anyone know a place in manhattan where i can buy fabric for an ink jet printer? i need to print on some asap for a wedding project and the place i ordered from just told me they’re back-ordered. ack!] (found some at city quilter near ac’s office! thanks twitter friends and everyone here!)

1. Chela says:

For the printer fabric try Pearl art supplies on canal, they have everything

2. laura says:

They are beautiful!

3. kim says:

hi… you might just want to try ironing some butcher paper to cotton or canvas and feeding that directly into your printer (be sure to trim the butcher paper/cloth sandwich edges after ironing, so they are even). i do this all the time and it works great. feel free to email me if you need add’l instructions… good luck with your project!

4. kim says:

follow up to earlier post:
    you can buy butcher paper in the grocery store (it has wax on just one side; do not use wax paper, which has wax on both sides). also, once printed, the butcher paper can be easily removed from your printed fabric :)

5. Casey says:

These are gorgeous! I also painted rocks at summer camp every year and now have a soft spot for anything rock-related. I’ll have to try this out!

6. Dana says:

Aaaa they’re lovely!

7. enhabiten says:

Oh, this is a project I will definitely be doing! I love the mix of an earthy rock and fancy gold leaf. Nice find.

8. Julie says:

You have fulfilled my love and devotion to beach stones and also how to incorporate them as tasteful wedding decor. Thank you!

9. Allegra says:

so simple and pretty. I love them.

10. Kara says:

Eeeeeeeeek! So so pretty!
    I love them!

11. reanna says:

FYI, that gold line has got to be inspired by nature artist Andy Goldsworthy, except that he would line up rocks with existing mineral seams to get this effect.
    I guess it’s a different effect, but to me, having seen his work, this version seems a little faked.

1. grace says:

if you read the post on her site you’ll see mention of andy goldsworthy- i don’t think she’s trying to pull one over on anybody. i think any version that’s not his is going to technically be “faked” but i’m a fan of projects inspired by artists. i don’t think it’s necessarily someone copying or faking something, just creating their own version, like she has here.

12. debbie says:

these are so pretty.

13. this really fulfills my love of odd juxtapositions, I love it, and I don’t think its anything like Andy Goldsworthy. Except if one accepts that all good stuff feeds us all on some level.

14. ae says:

Would you recommend something to cover the rocks so that they’re maybe a little more durable and to make sure the gold leaf stays put for a while?

15. Rachel says:

Those rock are so lovely. I might have to give it a try. Thanks…

16. elisenda says:

I LOVE this idea! It’s a pity that I haven’t got any wedding in view, otherwise I would suggest it as a “casual” gift for the guests (I’m thinking about rocks decorated with the initials of the bride and the groom).

17. jess says:

I love these! Smaller rocks would make wonderful necklaces and pebbles for earrings – oh, the gears are turning with tons of ideas!

18. Lupe says:

This is it. After months of looking at diy’s projects with fear and desire, I will make this one.
    Wish me luck!!!

19. Lauren says:

these are gorgeous and will so be used (in pewter) for my wedding! :)

20. aron says:

that is so great!
    its cute and pretty and clever!

21. conn says:

lovely. simple. elegant.

22. Tonni says:

Beautiful and original!

23. Ana says:

soooo pretty ! :)

24. natalie says:

Think I can put the gold leaf in my cricut

25. Inga says:

These are so beautiful! Unfortunately, the link isn’t working anymore :(

26. bella says:

Inga if you type in gold lead rocks on Google etc it will come up with a link.. it’s poop something.. you’ll find it there. I think they’ve just moved it :)