Canadian Sneak Peek – Home of Sarah Hartill

This next Canadian Sneak Peek is another favourite! With ten years experience at House & Home magazine, Style Editor Sarah Hartill has definitely hit her stride. When producing inspirational stories such as Weekend Decorating, styling house shoots or scouring stores for new product, Sarah shows her knack for coming up with smart ideas and recognizing on-trend topics. But there is no rest for this busy mom of a three-year-old who is both in a continual state of renovation on her family’s own city house, and is also a freelance photographer specializing in her own fresh and simple style of children’s and family portraiture. Incidentally, I blogged about this homeowner’s laundry room last year (click here not even knowing it was hers, as it was featured in House and Home’s magazine a while back and fell in love with it. Now we get to see the whole place! All photographs taken by Sarah Hartill herself. -Jan of Poppytalk

1. Full Name: Sarah Hartill

2. Occupation: Style Editor

3. Location: Toronto, just outside The Beach

4. Type of Home: (e.g. Apartment/Condo/House/Loft) House – a bungalow to be exact!

5. Your style inspiration: I find this really hard to describe, as I truly love the mix. I love mid-century modern furniture and architecture, but I also love traditional elements mixed in. I would never deck out an entire space in one style. I am constantly pulling images from various sites and posting them on my inspiration board. When I look back the only element consistent in all the shots is usually a mid century modern piece.

6. Your favorite place to shop for your home in your city? – love the vintage shops @ Queen & Roncesvalles like Queen Antiques plus their sister store Filter @ Jarvis & Adelaide. I also love the Yonge st. Strip with Hollace Cluny –, Constantine –, L’Atelier and Chair, Table, Lamp –

7. Your favorite Canadian Designer?– Connie Braemer –

8. How often do you change the look in your home? Overall it remains the same, I’ll often sew new pillow covers to mix up the palette and I often change the photos in the builtins. Recently, I’ve been wanting to slipcover my sofa in the living room, but really haven’t decided what to do – all I know is I want a change!

9. Do you have one designer trick you could share with us? There’s nothing more boring than a room that’s matchy matchy, throw in a contrasting colour to mix it up. Even consider adding patterned fabric to shake it up. Don’t be afraid to mix it up!!!

When we bought the house the kitchen was in it;s original state. The first thing we did was overhauled the kitchen which happened to be just before Tate was born. (Why do expecting parents always decided to start major renovations within months of the baby due date?!?!?) By selecting the european sized Leibherr ( fridge it meant we could have a standard sized dishwasher and stove. The classic subway tiles for the backsplash was a must and we splurged on the Ceaserstone ( counter tops – I find the counters never stain or mark and look as beautiful as the day they were installed. We decided to install open shelving as I prefer to have plates and glasses at hand. We have such a small house so I’m constantly editing what we hang onto. Everything displayed is used at least once a week and larger platter etc are kept in the sideboard in the living room.

Living Room

My favourite element about our LR is our built-ins. It’s the perfect space to show off all our little finds and photos. Im constantly moving or adding books and flowers. It’s amazing how a simple bunch of flowers transforms the shelves.

The sideboard was a piece I required from my parents. I’ve always loved the simples lines of the sideboard and it holds all our extra platters/glasses + all things needed for entertaining. The Tracy Kendall ( piece over the sidebaord was a wedding gift. I was concerned w/ dust and little fingers ruining it so I has an acrylic frame made for it. As the piece is so large the acrylic frame is perfect as it doesn’t over power the piece. The Eames coffee table was found at one of my favourite stores Queen Antique Centre.

Dining Room

The Osborne & Little wallpaper (Sakura Collection available through Primavera in the DR was originally installed for a produced story I was working on for the magazine. It’s probably the only aspect of the room I truly love. The table & chairs function perfectly for the space but are not my ideal picks.

Tate’s Bedroom

When decorating Tate’s room I didn’t know I was having a boy. All I knew is I didn’t want the typical pink or blue colour scheme, but wanted to mix it up. I originally ordered the Angela Adams ( rug which has been layered up with the Dwell ( bedding and the fun velvet and linen fabric on the roman blind. Tate will be three in May so the crib ( will be leaving soon, but has definitely stood up to his love for jumping and horsing around.

Master Bedroom

For the most part we’ve kept this room quite clean and simple. We both have hectic schedules so having a serene space to come home to was a must. The birds on the wall we’re originally a test. I had photocopied the stencil and taped them up for my husband to see, well it’s been 4yrs and they’ve drooped a little but there still up!

Our basement had definitely come a long way since we purchased the house 4 years ago. We gutted the entire space and relocated the laundry room to the front corner of the basement. By installing front loaders it allowed me to finally have counter space where i can fold clothes. The original laundry tub was is good condition so we decided to keep it, but added the beautiful fabric (Misia Multicolore fabric bt Manuel Canovas available through Primavera skirt to mask the ugly plastic tub. It might be slightly over the top but the hit of color and the subtle reverse pleates are exactly what I envisioned. Overall the function of the laundry room is great. I have a space for all my ribbon and wrapping paper and the cabinet below the bulletin board houses all the extra household goods (light bulbs, car washing kit, etc.) – Oh how I love to be organized!

1. enhabiten says:

that laundry room is cute as the dickens. great guest posts, jan:)

2. veronique Mcaree says:

Love the whole house. Clean, lovely style. Where is the linen and velvet curtain fabric from? love it.

3. sharon says:

Charm City! I love the mix. I think you have it just right. It is so much more interesting when there is a little twist,when you take a chance and don’t match everything. Beau-T!

4. Virginia says:

Tate’s bedroom is so cute.

5. not to mention the laundry room. How could I forget to mention that? I want to skirt my old laundry tub now.

6. tschai says:

clean and fresh. yet the accents and details give the house a certain kind of warmth…

7. Allegra says:

This sneak peek is very timely for me — I need to make a skirt for our bathroom sink/vanity and this is just the inspiration I needed!!

8. Adam G says:

Does anyone know where the Heinz 57 piece in the kitchen came from?

9. Kathleen says:

beautiful home. love the rug in the living room. any idea where it is from?

10. Kate Stuart says:

Where did the beautiful wall haning piece come from outside of the dining room? Is that an agapanthus? Thanks!

11. sunny says:

You had me at the first photo.

12. Lisa says:

I want that geometric navy rug in the living room! Does anyone know where it is from?

13. A beautiful home where it feels good to live. I envy her laundry room and gift wrapping station.
    Like Adam G., I wish to know where Heinz 57 piece in the kitchen came from?

14. Bonnie says:

I love Tate’s bedroom! Does anyone know where those great prints above the crib came from?

15. The living room rug is the JORUN from IKEA. It is actually putty and charcoal. We have it in our dining room, and love it (as does our dog — it’s her favorite place to play with her toys)!

16. I love, love, love this home! It’s organized but has character, the prefect combination if you ask me!

17. Thanks for all the nice compliments!

Adam G. & Kim Vallee – the Heinz print is by Michael Alberstat a photographer/friend I’ve met through the magazine. Check out his site:

Kate Stuart: Are you referring to “Keep Clam Carry On”? If so, a variety of retailers in Toronto carry them (not sure where you live. Check out to buy direct.

Thanks to Vicki @ Piccolo Takes All for answering the living room rug question.

18. jan says:

Thanks for sharing these with us Sarah – definitely worth all the compliments!

19. Amy says:

Wow – another awesome Canadian sneak peek! Love all your sneak peeks (always save them for last cause I know they’ll be great)! Keep it up!

20. Samantha says:

tracy kendall link doesnt work!
    lovely home however…

21. So pretty! Does anyone know where to find the fabric that’s used in the laundry room? I’ve seen that fabric elsewhere on the web, and I’d really like to get a hold of it! Thanks!!

22. Claire says:

Although it looks lovely, I can’t help but think I’ve seen it all before on this site. These sneak peaks are all starting to look the same! Keep calm, carry on posters, eames chairs, etc. And every homeowner seeeming to think they are wonderfully original! To be honest I’m finding it a little boring; I come to this site for new inspiration, not the same style repeated over and over. These houses look great, but never feel authentic; they never give the feeling that items have been lovingly chosen over the years, or like there’s any character in the homes. It always feels like everything has been purchased in one go, and arranged to suit the latest trends, whether or not it suits you or your lifestyle.

Come on design sponge, you can do better than this!

1. grace says:

i agree with you on the keep calm front. i know when i see them in people’s homes i cringe in anticipation of the comments to come.

that said, we show many homes that are full of objects built up over the years. here are a few of my recent favorites that aren’t covered in of-the-moment items:

nary an eames chair in sight.

i agree, there is a definite feel to the majority of homes we show- but that’s because we, and the majority of readers, do enjoy a specific aesthetic. it’s not the only aesthetic we enjoy, but there is a definite look that i think many of us are drawn to.

that said, we’re making an effort to reach out to homeowners with a different look, but it’s tough to find a home without some piece of classic design that you’ll recognize. i hope that you’ll be able to see past an eames chair or two and catch the homes that are full of character- because there are a lot of them here.

23. SRB says:

Love your new laundry room! Love the organization! Can’t wait to see the rest of it for real in the summer!

24. Karen says:

Such a cute space! So clean and modern with fun pieces. I dig it!

25. Jenni says:

we have an agapanthus by tracy kendell as well and would love to know where you got your acrylic frame done for yours?
    love your house!

26. Erica says:

I’d love to know what paint color you used for the laundry room please!

27. Jen says:

Such a cute home!

Erica – my bathroom color is very similar if not the same color. I used waterfall by benjamin moore and I love it!

28. EP says:

Where are the stainless steel shelves (in the laundry area) from? I’d love to put some like that in my kitchen!

29. Jessica says:

Where are those white hanging cups (for lack of a better word) from?

30. Judy Nicholls says:

Saw your ideas about bringing cohesiveness to 900 square feet,loved the colourful bedding. Where can I purchace it?
    Thanks Judy