Before & After: Out-dated clothing become throw pillows

monday_2before-clothing
In the attic, or the garage, if you’ve got a box (or two, or five) of old clothing (grandma’s wedding dress? mom’s patchwork summer-of-love skirt? that Mexican embroidered shirt you wore almost every day in 10th grade?), raise your hand.

I thought so.

Let’s be honest: The only time you have nostalgic moments with those items are when you’re moving and can’t remember what’s in those dusty boxes in the corner.

But they’re in good shape, you say. And they’re too precious to give away. Okay, ask yourself this: How would that skirt pattern look as a pillow? After you get over the idea of taking scissors to clothing, you just might love it.

monday_2after-pillows
Check out the project Sunset style editor Miranda Jones and I crafted for a Sunset May issue story appropriately titled “I found it in my garage!”. We profile five items someone might think they have no use for (thus garage-stricken) and reinvented them to bare new function.

Check out the full story here.

And for more ideas on how to repurpose your furnishings check this out.

Next, we’ll have “virtual coffee” with one of my favorite décor re-inventors. Stay tuned.

“Before” photograph by Rob D. Brodman
“After” photograph by Thomas J. Story for Sunset Magazine

1. Callie says:

love it. I’m actually propping up on a pillow this very moment that I made from a ombre-eyelet top that didn’t fit right. it doesn’t have to be fancy… and a lot of the work may be done for you already if the piece is a standard pillow size (or if you’re using polyfill)

love!

2. kim says:

I made a cherry-stone pillow from an old tshirt (I wore religiously in 8th grade) too bad my sewing skills suck and stones keep spilling out :/

3. Shanon says:

I’ve thought about this idea many times, but I’ve never seen it done so well! Awesome pillows!

4. Shanon says:

Should say excellent post. Looking forward to seeing your next one!

5. Kirsten says:

I’m going to rummage through my closet right now for those nostalgic pieces. Beautiful!

6. jan says:

love this idea!

7. What a great idea-inspires me to get going on some new deocrative pillows with those older clothes.

8. kelly says:

love this idea! so glad to see read sunset goodness on design sponge, and looking forward to the rest of the week’s posts.

9. Love this idea. I have pieces from two shirts from Anthropologie I don’t wear any more and this idea is perfect.

10. renee anne says:

” The only time you have nostalgic moments with those items are when you’re moving and can’t remember what’s in those dusty boxes in the corner.”

Totally love that line. I have just moved house and my partner and I are going through those kinds of boxes.

He says “This stuff is great and totally worth keeping, only for the fact that next time we move we can open up the boxes again and look at them and go awww”

I guess he has a point. hahaha

But thanks for the great idea!!

11. Karena says:

What a great idea. These are beautiful!! Another idea is to use scarves you might find at the vintage or Goodwill!

12. I have that Mexican embroidered shirt.I love the pillow idea…after I wear it one more time

13. janete says:

such a great idea! thanks for sharing!

14. Kaley says:

I Recently purchased a beautiful Indian skirt at Goodwill. When I wore it for the first time my grandmother pulled me aside and said “honey, that skirt makes you look so fat!” I looked in the mirror when I got the chance and realized she was sadly correct. I ripped the skirt off and turned it into a pillowcase! Now I can show off it’s beautiful design every day!