Textiles from the British Isles

Today I thought I’d share a handful of British textile designers whose work I enjoy. Classic, playful, sophisticated, inventive – I’ve tried to collect a little bit of everything. Enjoy.

Donna Wilson‘s ‘Cuddly Clouds’ made from lamb’s wool (what else?). Donna’s work makes me laugh – check out her ‘blah blah’ cushion (that’s pillow in American speak).

A gorgeous dragonfly pattern from the extraordinary Alice Stevenson. Seriously – how did she only graduate 4 years ago!?

A hand knitted cuckoo clock from Andrea Williamson (you can special order the clock here) Totally bonkers – but brilliant. And it actually works!

A quirky yet sophisticated ‘Mousse Star’ scarf from Hikaru Noguchi. I love her work – they’re the kinds of pieces you’ll have forever.

Crafty illustrator Emily Sutton‘s incredibly popular songbird sculptures. I think we can expect big things from her in the near future, she’s still in college!

Hand woven woolen blankets by Eleanor Pritchard. These are so lovely and warm. We have the one on the top called ‘Quail’s Egg’ and it is a prized possession.

‘Par Avion’ cushion from Caitlin Hinshelwood (who is now collaborating with Rose de Borman). It’s retro and contemporary at the same time, is that possible?

Mischievous dolls from Naori Priestly. Shame she forgot their arms.

An embroidered Battersea cushion from Snowden Flood. With a name like that – she was destined for success.

Angie Lewin’s timeless Dandelion print in collaboration with the fantastic folks at St. Judes in Norfolk.

1. trinsch says:

very inspiring. absolute adored the armless dolls and the cuddly clouds.

2. Devi says:

Awwww!!! The clock, the clouds and the dolls are my faves! Love Alice’ work!

3. wow wow wow! What extraordinary things. The embroidered bird is simply exquisite, and as for the bonkers clock… well, just marvellous!

4. Mithi says:

Yay! Go British designers ! …

Erm, Emily Sutton graduated out of ECA last summer …

5. Guy says:

Hi Mithi – Doh! Her website says ‘I am currently in my final year at Edinburgh College of Art’. Well – she’s still young!

6. Vicki says:

I really like Naori Priestly’s work. But if you’re going to feature someone’s work, please show it some respect.

7. Mr. Peacock says:

So many interesting pieces!!!
    Thank you!

8. a says:

vicki – i agree
    guy – i’m sure priestly makes her work with intent

9. Guy says:

I was being sarcastic! Naori knows that too – so don’t worry. Her minimalist approach is what makes these dolls so special.