sneak peek: spartan home

last week alyson fox sent me an email about her favorite shop in austin, spartan home. i posted some of my favorite accessories from their new e-shop and was tempted to ask their owner, currie person, if she would be so kind as to share a little peek into her home. and lucky for us, she was! currie shares her sunny austin home with her boyfriend patric, and their 9 month old pup, greta. i love the minimalist interiors and the way the windows just flood each room with sunlight. as a dark-apartment-dweller i’m truly envious. thanks so much to currie and patrick for sharing their home with us! click “read more” at the bottom of the post for additional and full-sized images of currie and patrick’s home.

[image above: this is our bedroom. it was was converted from a porch into an inside room at some point. (photo by sarah wilson)]

[image above: our enclosed back porch]

[image above: our 9 month old, sweet as honey pup, greta – a bench by george from screech owl design– and one of a set of three pieces by our close friend claire oswalt]

[image above: the little shed we built to house patrick’s bikes and the overflow from the shop

[image above: a piece by bread & buttershop, who’s cards & artwork i sell in the shop]

CLICK HERE for the rest of currie and patrick’s sneak peek (and additional, full-sized images) after the jump…

[image above: the kitchen with the back door slung open, $20 pendant lamp from home depot]

[image above, left to right: one more piece by claire and the toolbox. right, our bathroom. i am a sucker for claw-footed tubs – i had one as big as a swimming pool when i lived in paris]

1. Kristan says:

What a lovely home! (And Grace, I’m loving these thumbnail things at the bottom.) The house feels so airy and contemporary, but so Texas and comfortable too. :)

2. Miss B. says:

The light in that place is AMAZING! Love the soothing wall color…

3. Yoli says:

I love the lack of clutter the way a single item fills the space and imbues it with a modern yet vintage feel. Lovely.

4. Kate says:

Oh my goodness, what kind of dog is Greta? She looks *exactly* like my friends’ dog.

5. lauren says:

Hi…what kind of puppy is greta? Where did you get her? She looks IDENTICAL to our dog agnes!

6. Claire says:

I swooned out loud when I saw the pic of the tall windows looking out into the backyard. Soooooo jealous!!

7. sandra says:

i love this. i love this! that shed is just the cutest.

8. late night intruder says:

the place looks great in the light of day!!

especially like that Sarah Wilson print in the bedroom – i’d like to make off with it like a thief in the ni… never mind.

i think you can see more of Sarah’s stuff here:

9. Elizabeth says:

Lovely dog. I’m with everybody else; what breed is she?
    Also, does anybody know how to get the breadandbutter print larger? They only have the card size in their etsy store, it seems.

10. nique says:

wow. great place! calms me just looking at it. i’m loving that shed. can i ask… did you design and build it yourself, or was it from a plan? if from a plan, would you mind sharing the source? thank you!

11. Kelly says:

Thank you for your interest in the Good Luck I Love You piece! Deb just posted the large cut paper version in the shop.

12. Currie says:

Thanks for all of the lovely comments.

Greta is a good old mixed breed mutt of unknown origins. We have been trying to think of a fitting imaginary name for her breed…

I adopted her from Blue Dog Rescue, if you are in Austin, they are amazing:

As is Sarah Wilson’s photograpy…

13. Elizabeth says:

Thanks for adding it; but 350 dollars it about 300 dollars to steep for this college girl. :).
    Oh well, lovely house!

14. e.b. says:

great to see someone else rockin the ikea mandal bed with the pine backboard! (looking especially good in the photo up against the painted exterior siding) i love mine.

15. Currie says:

the “good luck, I love you” card is also beautiful framed and affordable… i have given it as a gift and it was very well received.

16. lindseyt. says:

spartan is by far my favorite store in austin (my boyfriend and i bought all our christmas gifts here.. seriously, all). so fun to see the owner’s space.

17. Maya says:

Beautiful home! Do you have room for two grown ups and one 3 year-old? Will walk dog.

18. Vicki says:

Thank you for a peak inside of some of the most amazing homes, Grace. :) I like how Katarina makes great use of the history and architecture of her home. Also, the bright splashes of color are pretty cool, too!

19. Betty says:

Sooo jealous of the fantastic tub! I dream of finding a place with one someday! Lovely home!

20. Nicole S. says:

I’m very impressed with the inexpensive Home Depot pendant light in the kitchen – I would have bet it cost a lot more than that. Any more details on it?

21. beth says:

wow! i love this space so much! i too love the shed. is it prefab or designed by you?

22. Currie says:

the shed we designed ourselves – very simple design executed by a carpenter friend.

if you have a small house it is a godsend to have a separate space for storage: winter blankets, bikes, garden tools, etc.

the covered porch was patrick’s idea and it was ingenious – we use it almost everyday.

23. E-Lo says:

I LOVE that shed. It is the creme de la creme (or should that be the beer de la beer?) of sheds.

24. katherine says:

Gorgeous! So relaxing. And it definitely provokes some nostalgia in this former (South) Austinite! May I ask what the wall color is? Heavenly blue?

25. sofia says:

this is amazing!! i love how there’s a little bit of outside in every inside. i am so jealous of the enclosed porch. and the shed is super, duper cute!!!

26. Catherine says:

Love Spartan! My favorite purchase of 2008 was an incredibly useful and good looking leash that hooks around my waist. Hands-free dog-walking is fabulous. And I believe proceeds go to a doggie-helping non-profit.

And I love your home. In what part of town is it?

p.s. Our little guy was from Blue Dog too. They are wondeful.

27. Peter M says:

Oh no… I sense an onslaught of those “Good Luck I Love You” prints, just as I began to recover from seeing the “Keep Calm Carry On” everyone.

28. Catherine says:

And I love your home. In what part of town is it?

p.s. Our little guy was from Blue Dog too. They are wondeful.
    Oops…forgot to say great post! Looking forward to your next one.

29. Brian says:

That shed is the coolest thing! I’m planning on building one for my backyard this summer, so this is inspiring!

30. reminds me a little of alyson fox’s sneak peek of her home…love them both

31. ALB says:

Hi there. Thanks for sharing your lovely home! Can you tell me who makes the iPod player/dock? It looks like wood… Thanks!

32. Currie says:

Vers audio makes the dock, and you can find it at my shop (among others):

33. Justine says:

Currie, would you be so kind as to share the name/make of your lovely blue walls? I have doug fir floors of a similar colour and have been dreaming of contrasting, airy blue walls. Your wall colour is exactly the shade I’m after. Thank you!

34. Jinhee says:

Hi Grace, Do you know what paint brand/color was used for the walls? I absolutely love it.

35. Grace says:

i hope you posted more pictures of this house , so cute and calm and absolutely beautiful

36. lece says:

Excellent web site! I’m loving it! I’ll appear once again for sure!!