sneak peek: portland four-square

portland4square1
if i had the money to hire an interior designer, jessica helgerson would be at the top of my wish-list. her portland-based interior design firm always creates the most serene, welcoming environments and i’m still swooning over this incredible home she shared with us last year. so i was thrilled to hear from jessica about her latest project, a glamorous portland four-square. jessica and her team completed remodeled a turn of the century, south east portland home by gutting a small and disfunctional kitchen, back pantry and mud room to create a large and airy kitchen. they also added box beams to the dining room, separated the entry from the living room with deep cased opening, added a mantle, built-in shelves, and two windows at the fireplace, and a second window, and a wood ceiling and wainscoting to the upstairs bathroom. i just love the way jessica plays with light and dark so well- the bright white walls, dark wooden trim and pops of green everywhere make me instantly want to move in. there are also beautiful glass pieces by artist andy paiko incorporated throughout the home. want to see more of the home? just click “read more” at the bottom of the post for the rest of the home photos and full-sized images after the jump. thank you to jessica for sharing this home with us, and to photographer lincoln barbour for sharing these shots.

[ps: sarah is still traveling abroad this week and will be back with another weeder’s digest. apologies for the time out, but hard working girls like her definitely deserve a week off every now and then]

portland4square2
portland4square3
portland4square4
portland4square5

CLICK HERE for the rest of the home tour after the jump (as well as additional, full-sized images)

portland4square6
portland4square7
portland4square8

1. Ashley says:

Where can I find the big glass wine decanters shown next to the bed?

2. Stacey: The Zenza lights did not require conversion, but the canopies were too small to cover the US junction boxes so the installation was a little imperfect. They are so pretty though!

Ashley: the big glass wine decanters are called demi-johns and I find them online and at antique stores. They are usually around $150 – $200.

3. and Jaclyn: I designed the coffee table which was custom made with zelij tile for us in Morocco. It fits into the negative space created by the bay-window sofa. We got it through Tazi Designs in San Francisco. http://www.tazidesigns.com They were great to work with.

The ceiling light in the bathroom is by Hubbardton Forge and is called the ‘Acharn semi-flush mount’

4. Emily says:

Just lovely. Thanks for sharing!

5. melissa says:

jessica – i just visited your site. wow. floored. in two of your spaces there was a wallpaper(?) or is it custom painting? of what i can only describe as a starburst–it is in an office in a persimmon and a bedroom in a sage.

where do i get it?

6. JO says:

beautiful inside..interested in what colors you used on the exterior

7. Maya says:

You don’t normally see floor to ceiling drapes in a kitchen and what a wonderful idea — so elegant. I adore this kitchen.

8. Jacki says:

Please, can anyone tell me what type of kitchen range that is? And where it could be purchased?
    Thanks for any help…
    Jacki

9. Jacki says:

Oh my gosh this kitchen is sooooooo incredible! I can hardly stand it. I previously asked about the range, but also, is the countertop marble? Or is it granite? Thanks so much for any help. This is just the most incredible kitchen I’ve ever seen.

10. Lulu says:

what is the gray room color ? This looks more like Gray Mist … the blue room color does not look gray to me! I’d love to know what the blue room wall color is, looks great against all the green plants….

Beautiful color schemes & design, I’m stealing some ideas for my own 1914 Craftsman! ;-)

11. san says:

I will pretend that’s the House of my Mysterious Passionate Lover, a place where I would go to escape reality, to spend some loving hours, some dreamy moments… It’s magical, adorable, it balances the breathtaking strictness of black & white with the delightful lightness of glass bubbles and palm leaves and light laces and unpredictable butterflies and unexpected walls where dancing shadows recall the Thousand and One Nights tales.
    Jessica, Jessica… what a talent!

12. Sarah Hart says:

Oh, this makes my heart ache a little. So. beautiful. I want to go to there.

13. Robyn Hall says:

Such a beautiful house!

Will you please tell me how you did the living room ceilings? Were they painted two tones with the wall paint extending into the ceiling and/or were there wall mouldings? It’s difficult to tell from the web photo.

And if you don’t mind, what colour did you paint the living/dining rooms? My dng faces south, lvg north with 24 sunlight 6 mos and dark 6 mos.

Regards,
    Robyn Hall

14. christine rothenberg says:

hi !
    can i get the name/company/website of where you bought the CHANDELIER (bubbles) in the dining room?
    chris

15. CHRISTINA says:

Would you mind sharing what color white was used in the bathroom (with the light taupey grey wainscotting)?

16. Stunning house, love the kitchen in particular – reminds me of the kitchens in the Chateau Marmont suites. I really, really want those kitchen chairs/stools …..

17. Robyn says:

Can you please share where you got the beautiful white duvet cover (on the bed in the attic)?

18. Kim says:

Wow. Amazing! I am now a fan.
    Can you please let me know how I can get my hands on those light fixtures in the bedrooms and at the stairway? I think they are all the same, just different sizes? LOVE

19. Megan Leone says:

I love the dining room’s light fixture. I wish I could see it up close. Looks like they are glass jellyfish.

20. gorgeous house…i absolutely love the dark wood against pristine white walls…always the most elegant juxtaposition!! i spot e few pieces of inlaid furniture..i love it!! lovely post, Grace!! xx meenal

21. Kirsten says:

I’m now obsessed with that kitchen! It’s like you’re reading my mind! I do have to ask- did you paint all the cabinets and ceiling beadboard the same Marscapone color? They look amazing! I would die to see the before pics of that kitchen!

22. Gina says:

Beautiful!! Lots of love and time devoted to this house! Where could I get a tufted box type mattress (like the one shown in the picture with the Mexican cage doll)made or learn how to make one?

23. Amanda says:

Where are the wooden stools from at the island in the kitchen? Know anywhere that sells similar style??

24. Stephen Cox says:

Gorgeous Kitchen! I could cook there all day!