sneak peek: enormous champion

grace and i were both instantly smitten when the sneak peek from jordan provost (photographer and letterpress printer) and jason wong (graphic designer) of enormous champion arrived in our inbox. enormous champion was officially started last may as an avenue for creative collaboration between the couple. their crown heights, brooklyn home is clearly an extension of this wonderful collaboration. stay tuned for some new wooden pieces, tea towels and gift wrap in their collection, but for now enjoy their gorgeous sneak peek. and don’t forget to CLICK HERE for the full peek and additional images. [thanks jason and jordan!] anne

[above: Our dining room. The dining room set was given to us by Jason’s parents. Coincidentally, the same year (1972) that Jason’s parent’s bought their dining room set in California, my parents bought the exact same one in New Jersey. We had the chairs recovered in Maharam Paul Smith fabric. Print on the back wall is by Margaret Kilgallen. Painting on the left wall is by Seonna Hong.]

We got the sideboard on ebay. Photograph is by one of my favorite photographers, Seydou Keita.

Gink-go’s favorite spot in winter, as close to the radiator as she can get. Over the summer, we painted all of our radiators a shiny off white enamel- a vast improvement over the 100 year old dull iron that was exposed before. Above Gink-go is a silk screen print that we did based on one of our card designs.

Our apartment is not big, when coming from a house perspective, but I guess it isn’t tiny for a NYC apartment either. Prior to this, we lived in a studio in another part of Brooklyn- so we are chuffed to actually have halls and more than 4 walls! The coffee table is from a great shop in Dallas which we found driving across country 2 years ago. We fell in love with it- the longest table I’ve come across- 99 inches! The saw on the wall was painted by a friend- Neil O’Brien and inspired one of our card designs. The two chairs were both found on the street. We had the grey one recovered in Eames fabric, which, if you ever find yourself in Zeeland, Michigan, there is an amazing factory outlet, housed in the original Herman Miller offices and factory. They have many of the patterns for $15 yard! The Lego castle on the bookshelves from 1978 is a love of Jason’s and was given to him by my sister which was hers when she was young.

Cabinets and counter tops are from Ikea. In the bottom left of the photo is a coal safe- one of the pre-war details that we love. (We now use it for gardening supplies.). The insulated coffee pot was found in a flea market in Germany.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Enormous Champion sneak peek (and full-sized images) after the jump!

This small section of countertop is pretty much useless for cooking anything other than toast, so it has become a place for plants, bowls of fruit, and music.enormchampeek7
Close up view of living room- Factory Records cassette boxes for New Order & Joy Division. We adore the label and the packaging. Eames mini elephant.

Our version of the hallway console table (but with more storage). Our keys and mail get dropped here. I used to have this dresser (and the one in our bedroom) in my bedroom as a child. Thank goodness for the 70’s love of Danish Modern. The painting is by Amy Rathbone.

These built-in babies were just what the doctor ordered to two folks who love to collect things.

bedroom by enormouschampion.
Our twirly cat, Pia, loves the mellow light in the bedroom. We painted it with an ‘under the ocean’ shade of blue. Photographs on left wall are mine from a trip to Ecuador. Print above bed is a German biology teaching print.

Our office pretty much just comprises of our desk (and shared computer). It is located in the corner of our dining room. designs and inspiration taped to the wall using removable tape- (they change frequently).

Lego: Jason’s guilty pleasure. Vintage cameras: mine. 2 silk screened prints by the late Charley Harper. Morning sunlight comes in brightly here… Buddhas and figures collected while traveling.  Portable typewriter, for travelers of yore.

1. jordan says:

yes- Tokion put out the McGee and Kilgallen figures as part of their Neo Graffiti 3-D series about 8 or 9 years ago.

2. jordan says:

Julie & Julia- I just noticed that you both made the same comment- but I forgot to respond- yes, I shot the photos of our apartment for ds*.

thanks anne & grace!

3. Natalie says:

that is my dream dining room!!!

4. S. Cubberley says:

So cool..It reminds me of a combination of my grandmother’s apartment in Denmark, and a summer cottage I would love to spend the week in. So Scandinavian; great colors.

5. jmuhj says:

Gorgeous and creative living space! and absolutely adore Pia and Ging-ko. Cats are not only love made visible, they are living art. ;)

6. Chibi says:

your home is beautiful!

do you have any more information on the herman miller outlet store in zeeland? i’m having trouble locating it and would love to check it out.

7. jason says:

thanks for the compliments. gink-go and pia are the true champions.

the herman miller outlet is located at 455 west washington in zeeland. it’s run by a company called office outlet who handles the inventory. they have a monthly drawing on their site to buy items at super low prices. ask for a tour and you can see the chair graveyard with loads of anomalies as well as dj dupree’s old office. geeky stuff if you’re into it.

8. Sslaxx says:

I see we have an Optimus Prime here!

And very cute kitties, too.

9. Cristina says:

Where did you get the Darth Vader pillow? I’d REALLY like to get it!!

10. BP says:

I could get lost in that house for a few hours and never get bored of looking at things….proof that ‘things’ don’t equal clutter. Awesome!

11. Jenny says:

My bedroom is Iron Mountain! It’s the most beautiful, complex and sophisticated color. My room used have this awful feeling like, “am I in a dorm room or am I in a nursury?”- it was light blue. But once we pained it Iron Mountain it transformed into a tranquil space that I adore.

12. Nicky says:

Such a fantastic house. I could move in tomorrow and not change a single glass bottle placement. Really inspirational. So much stuff but it looks so open and airy.

13. Molly says:

I live IN Zeeland, MI and never knew about the outlet at Herman Miller. I drive by everyday. I’m definately checking it out. You’d be surprised, I would think living in Zeeland there would be more of their pieces around, but sadly there isn’t. It gets scooped up so quickly!

14. Kristen says:

That dining room is perfection. I love the gray, the buffet, the art… sigh. Love.

15. love everything in this home.. the colors, furniture, decor. all wonderful!

16. Loved going through this. Keep it up!

17. Bree says:

Hey, love your home. What do you know about the artist that did your “Revolver” painting near your doorway built-ins? We have painting of three Lenins with the caption “Running from Russian” and I think it’s the same guy.