sneak peek: christie chase’s loft

by

christiestudiopeek1
chances are you probably remember christie chase‘s first sneak peek on d*s. i emailed her a few months ago after a friend of mine had written to tell me she saw the sneak peek inspired feature in the houston chronicle, at which time christie wrote back to me telling me about a loft space she was working on. ok, i’m thinking, a small little loft. turns out this dilapidated garage that was about to cave in just needed a new support stucture and a little TLC! it seriously looks like a million dollar space, but christie and tyler did most of the work themselves. christie even notes that in the current economy she got extra creative with lots of DIY efforts (noted here in the flickr set, along with many more amazing images of this space). the space is totally perfect for the art and sewing studio, media area and guest room. i don’t know about you, but i’m ready to move in! thanks so much, christy! ( and don’t forget to visit her etsy shop here). –anne

[above: Guest room. This guest room is small and very open to the rest of the space, so to keep the bed as tucked inside its space as possible, I painted a headboard on the wall and used nickel plated upholstery tacks to give it some detail. There was no room for bedside tables, so old metal window boxes with white holiday string lights inside serve as a small table for guests and light the space.  These former end tables serve as a bench and storage at the end of the guest bed. I refinished the drawer fronts in the same stain as the floor, and painted the cabinets similar to the dresser in my studio space.]

christiestudiopeek2

christiestudiopeek3
Screening space. The mid-section of the room faces a blank wall, which Tyler’s projector TV shows on.

christiestudiopeek4
A freshly painted vintage file cabinet got little caster feet, and holds a molded plastic fern leaf pattern tray, my Diana camera, a Carl Zeiss field camera that my Opa brought from Germany in the 1950’s, and an ilee papergoods 2009 silkscreen desk calendar. I made the small sillouettes of my pets hanging above from instructions I found on Design Sponge in the DIY section

CLICK HERE for the rest of Christie’s loft tour after the jump!

christiestudiopeek5
This is my studio space for art and sewing. We built the work table from a sheet of plywood, 4×4’s and casters.

christiestudiopeek6

christiestudiopeek7

This is a view of the rest of our loft space from my studio side. The mid-section of the room faces a blank wall, which Tyler’s projector TV shows on. The entry to the loft and the door to the bathroom are just past the TV area, and a guest room is tucked behind a half wall at the far end. The Napolean painting is a copy I did of a Charles Santore lithograph

christiestudiopeek8

christiestudiopeek9

This dresser was in bad shape, so I painted the exterior, sanded and restained the drawers and had the original pulls replated in satin nickel finish.  The lamp was formerly gold, and I covered the long, boring plastic neck leading to the shade with some wrapping paper

christiestudiopeek10

Since my iron is out all the time, I took off the criss-cross legs and made it a more functional base. A discarded coffee table from my parents, some paint and some plumbing pipe and viola! … This floor to ceiling built-in storage holds all of my fabric and art supplies. The ladder was the original attic ladder inside our 1919 bungalow. We had to replace the attic ladder in the house, as it did not meet code, but were able to repurpose it for my studio. We had to cut the ladder down, paint it, add wheels to the bottom and install hooks on the top to keep it on the plumbing pipe rail that it slides along.

1. visualingual says:

Awesomeness! I love that the over all effect of the space is high-end but, when you look at what the interior is actually made of, in terms of finishes, furniture and accessories, there are so few of the expected touches that typically make up a high-end look. The effect is very personalized and funky.

2. Bethany Rose Hildenbrandi says:

I just love it! You mix materials/colors/patterns so well!!

3. Katy says:

Wow, this loft is simply beautiful.

4. Joanna says:

Is that Merlin sitting on one of the chairs? Love it!

5. deanna says:

I love this space. It looks comfy and classy and cozy, all in one. great colors too!

6. Elizabeth says:

Truthfully, I have been feeling kind of indifferent to all the sneak peeks shown today. I like this one pretty well; but I feel like there are usually more that I go ‘Ooh!’ over.
    But oh well! :)

1. grace says:

elizabeth

i’m curious to see if you like dave’s next ;)

grace

7. visualingual says:

Ooh, I just noticed the print in the first photo, which was designed by Office for the 826 Valencia pirate shop. I have another one from that series; they’re really funny, well-designed and very affordable. Love it!

8. Ashley says:

These sneak peeks make my Monday’s so much brighter. Especially this one. Love love love everything – especially the iron! That’s amazing!

9. Beth says:

Amazing!!! This is the most inspirational loft ever!!! I want my future place to look like that!!

10. Jayme says:

This is honestly a dream apartment for me. The color scheme is remarkable!

11. Jayme says:

Also, where is the wood grain wallpaper from??

12. Katherine says:

Ok, I’m officially drooling. I always love the Sneak Peak feature, but this home is truly perfect… just heavenly!! Thank you for sharing!

13. Amanda says:

So many fabulous patterns. My head is exploding!

14. i love the shelves over the couch and the color of the wall – that blue is perfect!

15. Tamstyles says:

I love that dresser. I need to keep that in mind.

16. nath says:

So many amazingly clever touches, very inspiring!

17. melany says:

i LOVE the polka dot ottoman. i love the dark/light balance throughout the space.

18. Courtney says:

I love all the little touches like the ‘hand made love’ wall display, and the blue wall color reflected in the bathroom mirror is incredible!

19. Sonia says:

ohhh! your place is gorgeous! :D love the little owl on top of your closet! nice detail. Love the whole place! its has a very nice personality and great use of space and color!!! totally one of my fav!.

20. melissa says:

this makes my heart go pitter patter!

21. Shashi says:

I love the grey couch and polka dotted ottoman – where is it from? And that fabulous lamp on the vintage file cabinet. Love.

22. Loris Saprid says:

I am in love with every single detail put into this loft! AHHHH. I died a little inside just looking through this. <3

23. marymary says:

The library ladder in the studio is killing me. Well, the whole studio, really.

24. Coco says:

Please tell me about the wall shelves in the TV room – I’ve been looking for something similar for ages.

25. Karene says:

What is the name and brand of the paint color you used in the guest bedroom? I truly love it.

26. Suzanne Barbero says:

Hi – I love the loft too. I am in the middle of converting a portion of my bedroom into a studio too. I have wall i want to set up with a bulletin board but it looks like you did that and more. Can you tell me what is on those 2 walls?

27. What an adorable home. love the mixing and matching.

28. Sheeni says:

Oh, I love it! The dresser and coordinating one at the foot of the bed have such a great color scheme! It’s so hard to pick my favorite things about this — so lovely and inspiring!

29. Christina says:

Love it! Could you tell me where you got those silver metal birds on the wall?thanks

30. Christie Chase says:

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments about my loft.

Joanna:
    The “merlin” is actually Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter. It is a gourd that my little sister painted for me when she was in middle school : )

Jayme:
    The “wood grain” wallpaper that you referred to is not actually wallpaper, but faux bois paneling. I was inspired by “something’s hiding in here” sneak peek. It is pretty easy to do and less costly than wallpaper.

Shashi:
    The grey couch and ottoman are both thrift store finds that I tweaked. For the couch I put Ikea legs on it and stitched the dark armcovers and the dark center cushion panels directly to the couch to hide some faded sun spots from the previous owner. The ottoman I covered in the polka dot fabric (which was a remnant I found at JoAnn fabrics a few years back) and changed the former bun feet to wheels from Home Depot.

Coco:
    The wall shelves in the TV space are Elfa from The Container Store. We bought all of the brackets and rails from there, however, we opted not to buy their laminate shelves and instead bought wood planks from Home Depot that we stained and put up on the Elfa system. It actually was less expensive to use the wood vs. buying the shelves that Elfa offers.

Karene:
    The dark blue wall behind the bed is Sullivan by Ralph Lauren. The faux bois paneled wall is Baltic Green by Ralph Lauren and Pale Grey by Ralph Lauren

Suzanne: My studio walls are actually magnetic boards and not bullien boards. To make them, I bought rolls of metal sheeting at Home Depot and glued them to the wall, framed them with wood molding, and painted wide white stripes on them.

31. Christie Chase says:

Christina:
    The silver birds I found at a thrift store. They were formerly wood and I painted them silver and constructed the multi-canvas background that they hang on. You could probably find similar 1970’s birds on ebay.

32. Amber Jo says:

its so pretty. i kept saying to my self how darling on every picture!

33. megan says:

love love loooove it.

34. funky and lively…. I love the images and creativity.

35. Tonni says:

I love your loft! It’s so bright and cheerful and the yellow touches really pop! Very creative!

36. Joanna says:

OMG, Christie! I love the little guy even more. Albus Dumbledore rocks. And you have a very talented sister!

37. Heather says:

oh dear. I’m afraid I’ve developed a strong case of loft envy! :)

38. Meli says:

You are so very talented!

39. Teresa says:

The furniture and the colors are so bold yet they go together so well!

40. Dana says:

Christie you did an excellent job the the makeover of that garage space.

I have fallen in love with that yellow piece! :) Mmmm… love it

41. AJ says:

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous…any idea what the square footage of this place is?

42. mandy says:

oy, this is one of my recent faves for sure – bookmarking it *now*

43. alexandra says:

LOVE. so creative!

44. The dark wood floor looks amazing with the dresser. You have a touch of genius creativity.

45. bob says:

hi christy,

where did you find the hardware for your moving ladder? looks amazing!

46. mosey says:

I’m blown away. There’s nothing more I can say but WOW!

47. Jes says:

I love this space and am currently on the hunt for pendant light fixtures. Can you tell me where the silver ones in your studio came from? The shape is beautiful!

48. I love this space and especially the studio! Thanks for sharing!

49. Mardy Flanagan says:

Hi Christie,
    I have subbed for your mom at Willow Creek and Lorrie Forgey, one of the other third grade teachers there told me to look you up because you are so talented. I think you should apply for the next HGTV Design Star. You are amazing!

Mardy F.