biz ladies 2009: surviving + thriving in the recession

rosie_the_riveter1
[rosie the riveter geraldine doyle, updated by abigail friedman]

in 2006, i started the d*s biz ladies series because i felt that there was a real need for women running their own businesses to connect and create local support systems. over the past 2 years i’ve been traveling across the country to help these amazing women meet and provide them with free resources in the areas of pr and marketing, wholesaling, retailing, business and law.

and right now, i think the need to connect and support each other is stronger than ever.

the recession has been tough for all of us, and it’s limited my ability to travel and continue with the series. my goal for 2008 was to take the series online with an on-going webisode special that would deal with those topics and allow anyone anywhere to benefit from the advice. but sadly my budget for videos is on hold as well. so rather than be defeated, i’ve decided to turn the biz ladies series into a regular feature until the economy is back on its feet and we can all meet in person again.

every tuesday from now on, i’ll be inviting experts, artists, designers, shop owners and professionals to talk about not just surviving- but thriving- in the world of small business.

so many of us are trying to run our own businesses right now and i think it’s more important than ever to connect, share advice, share stories, and find a way to connect with people doing exactly what we are right now- making the best of things.

i have the first few experts lined up, but i wanted to reach out to you today to see what topics were most interesting to you. what would you like to hear/talk about? please vote below to help me determine the order in which we cover things, or leave a comment below if your topic isn’t covered in the poll. i promise we’ll get to everything and anything over the course of this column. and hopefully along the way we’ll all learn something, find someone to connect with, and help pick each other back up during these tough times. stay tuned for the first column next tuesday!

update: if you’re a professional in one of these fields, or feel that you have some advice that you’d like to share here, just shoot me an email right here!

[poll id=”1″]

1. This is brilliant!

As noted earlier–I DEF need help with the hiring/employees section. My business has been rising persistently by month through this first year (coming up on my 1st year anni!). I am at the point that I am at full capacity…working way too much. BUT I’m super scared to make that next leap into hiring someone. I was so willing to make the leap into starting the business, but this part seems so uncertain to me.

Can’t wait to hear all of the amazing advice. Yay, Design*Sponge!

2. Sondra's Ink says:

Love this idea! As a full time mom and busy designer/printer, I find it hard to get out and network as much as I’d like to with other small business owners. I’d love for my online community and education to grow!

3. Amy Rowan says:

I loved the meetup we had here in Chicago, thanks for putting it online Grace!

4. Gerry Puhara says:

I love this idea! My daughter sent me this page and I”m bookmarking it RIGHT NOW

5. Jen O says:

Thanks Grace,
    The guest speaker idea is great–I loved the Biz Ladies nite in my town, it was so inspiring. A continued topics presentation is a neat idea for those of us who own businesses and have questions about the many things that relate. (better to call it “Biz Folks” or something less gender specific tho)

6. I am really interested to read all the ideas and viewpoints. We are seeking out connections during these times. People connection has to be a good thing. :)

7. Liana Kabel says:

I’ve believed from the start that we should help eachother. We all know something worth sharing, and by doing so we all benefit, and get there that much quicker.

8. Leslie says:

Grace

This is fantastic. I always enjoy your guest blog posts on business & attended your Portland biz meetup. I took away great information and new friendships. Am so looking forward to these posts. Thanks for all!
    And Lilla, thanks for being so positive! I agree that even in hard times, you need to have your glass half full.

9. sharon says:

What a wonderful idea. Looking forward to reading all of your articles.

10. Yay Grace! I’m looking forward to these topics! Maybe there’s a silver lining in the recession– for me it’s time to focus on what’s important & get real with the business side of my art. Thank you! :)

11. Kudos on recognizing the challenges of creatives in the business world. I often think we prioritize our craft acumen ahead of our business needs. For those of us making our living as creatives we must learn good business practices if we want our product/ideas to succeed in the market. When we approach business in the same spirit as we approach our creative process… wonderful things can happen. I look forward to Tuesdays. Thank You!

12. mary lynn says:

i’m so psyched for this! i’m a newbie and i could definitely use some help, as well as some contacts! this is awesome. screw the economy, let’s do this thing!

13. Debbie Sweren says:

Thank you so much! I can hardly wait for this series to begin! I have so enjoyed and learned a lot from your blog. The business side of art – seems to be a common thread here. I find it so difficult to switch between the two. More so lately I have been trying to compartmentalize my time between the two. I would love to hear from someone who has really gotten a handle on that! Whew what a wonderful world THAT would be!

14. Brassy Meg says:

wonderful! GIRL POWER!

I am excited! thank you thank you!!!

15. Heather says:

Also looking forward to this. Thanks so much!!!

16. Thank you Grace! What a wonderful idea! I’m really looking forward to this!

17. jules says:

Thanks for responding to the idea of a local meet up. i totally understand about not being able to think about any extra projects! I suspect that you may be right about things being different now, people may be craving more personal contact and support that comes from meeting face to face. I can’t wait to see how it all turns out. Thanks again for making this all happen!

18. Claire says:

This is brilliant! Looking forward to Tuesdays =)

19. Erin says:

Thanks for doing this, Grace. Small business is such an area of opportunity during economic downturns. There was a fascinating article in the Wash Post on this very topic…Would love to see something in your series about how to best participate in the Gov’t Stimulus Packages…http://tinyurl.com/dasfr5

20. Jen says:

Just as I was feeling the heavy clouds today, I got your e-mail. THANK YOU! And a special nod to comments by Lilla Rogers… I am hanging your list on my wall & in moments of insecurity, I will look up, remember, and rally on!

21. Penney says:

I am just so excited about TUESDAYS! Can’t wait! I need help lots of areas, especially pricing these days.. I look forward to sharing with such a positive, upbeat group of ladies!! Lilla, THANK YOU TOO! Your very seasoned, wise words will go up over my work table in about 10 minutes..xo, Penney

22. ivie says:

Thanks for continuing biz ladies, Grace! It’s such a great way for those in the industry to get third-party, unbiased guidance. Looking forward to reading!

23. sharan says:

This sounds fantastic!!!

24. Looking forward to it. Thank you!

25. Jenna says:

I think this is a great idea. For me, the really big question is where to start. I’d love to hear from those who’ve been successful at getting a small business of the ground to find out how they took the plunge and their successful actions.

26. mandy says:

this is terrific and I can’t wait! Thanks so much for your initiative!

27. LeighS says:

Your meet up LA was excellent. Looking forward to the series

28. I will be soaking up all the information and advice you have to give! I work for a retailer and am trying to start up my own etsy shop right now so anything I can read on any of those topics will be much appreciated. Thanks for all your ingenuity!

29. Rachael says:

I love the fact that women mentor and share together so seamlessly. Thankyou for being the conduit! Can’t wait.

30. Moira says:

Thanks, Grace. You made my day with this announcement. Can’t wait!

31. Elizabeth says:

Hi Grace-

I love this idea – and if I could suggest a topic – I would love an interview with the Hable Construction sisters on how they got started and built their brand.

Thanks Grace!

1. grace says:

oh! if you’re in nyc- they gave a great talk at the apartment therapy event tonight!

g

32. Autumn/Sugarflower Design says:

Yeah! Forging ahead, remaining inspirational and informative. Thanks Grace!

And, if you are in Austin, check out http://stimulateaustin.ning.com/

33. susan says:

hey grace,
    just wanted to give you a thumbs up. not only do you have the best design blog around, you really are a great resource and support center for everyone in the retail/design biz. thanks again for all of your hard work.
    susan/loom

1. grace says:

thanks susan ;)

see you around the slope…

g

34. jessamyn says:

oh yay! I love the idea.

35. Jaime & Erin says:

Looking forward to it Grace!

36. andrea says:

i am sooooooo excited about this! so many business sites make me fall asleep without fail. it’s nice to know that there is a little angel out there named design sponge that is looking out for all of us ladies who need to brush up on those good ole business skills! thanks design sponge!

37. Sharra says:

Grace, this is very exciting! Thank you for doing this. I will be reading every word.

Perhaps another topic could be teaching classes.

I’ve been teaching mosaic classes for about six years. I’ve always had steady enrollment but my current classes are filling like crazy. I don’t know if it’s due to the recession but I think people are looking for something meaningful and hands on to do with their friends and family. It seems that students are almost always coming in pairs.

This is motivating me to get my class blog up in addition to an e book.

My personal work is usually custom based and not in the “impulse purchase” price range so the classes definitely take some of the pressure off.

I believe teaching classes can help many artists and designers supplement their incomes.

38. D. says:

Fantastic! I’m rethinking everything right now, not only with the state of the economy but also with the long term ramifications of the CPSIA for my original children’s clothing design business. I’m destashing, re-tooling and thinking laterally for fresh perspective. Thanks for this helpful feature!

39. This is very exciting. I’d love to participate, and would be willing to contribute if I can.

We opened a store last year (just at the start of the recession, but who knew!). And we are planning for a rough ride this year. But we are really excited and have lots of ideas.

We’ve been thinking a lot about our promotions and online marketing- and have been putting quite a bit of time into our website, though it is always a work in progress.

Looking forward to it!
    Sally
    Eli-phant.com
    Portland Maine

40. Erin says:

I’m so excited to check these posts out. You’re right, it’s more important than ever to band together – support each other. If there is any way at all that I can help, I’ll be in touch. Until then, I’m looking forward to reading more!!

Thanks, as always Grace.
    Erin

41. Can’t wait to get some business information… any is helpful for me. I’m very new to all of this so I am really needing to get my name out there.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Amy aka Chiquis

42. jennifer says:

What a fantastic resource! I am so excited to learn. I’ve just launched a new small business with my partner and still have so many questions about pricing, marketing, wholesaling, etc. – all the topics to be covered! What a wonderful opportunity for women to join forces, move forward and follow our dreams – with sound advice and encouragement! Thank you Grace. SO looking forward to it!
    Jennifer

43. No.25 says:

This is a really great idea, very empowering. I look forward to reading the series. I agree people need this type of inspiration/advice more than ever.

44. dolce chic says:

I’m really looking forward to this! I would love to learn how to come up with a good business name, picking a domain/url and product branding.

45. I love this idea. I can’t wait to read!

46. kari says:

this is a great idea! thanks grace!

i read an interesting article in the new york times a couple weeks ago about the small culinary businesses popping up in brooklyn and how it is such a tight knit community where everyone supports each other’s endeavors.

a very interesting thing that i think our community can learn from them — or at least explore the possibilities of — is how they barter. i think that’s an interesting concept and is more and more relevant as the economy keeps slipping. whether it’s with swapping design/crafty talents for a needed material or an abled body or whatever… i think it could be an interesting topic to explore in this forum. here is the article if you are interested: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/dining/25brooklyn.html

47. trendoffice says:

Great idea! I have been working on that, too. Read some encouraging words from Li Edelkoort in her latest interview on designers and crisis: “creativity will help us emerge. Creation is going to be the leading factor of new economies. Creativity is going to be the thing to bank on, I mean really banking on.”

48. I’m starting back at the first and reading through all the Biz Ladies posts. Thanks for archiving these articles!