before and after: rachel’s chair

michellechairbefore
this before & after comes from rachel at vintage song bird- this was her first re-upholstery project and i’m just as excited about it as she is. it’s no small task to strip a chair, guts and all, so i’m happy that rachel was able to tackle her first project successfully. thanks, rachel!

[have a before & after you want to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your pictures!]

michellechairafter

1. Lovely! That fabric is so great. I luv!
    xo
    ~dee

2. jess says:

Wow! I love the “after” chair! Rachel did a great job for her first time, I’m certainly impressed!

3. Marlene says:

Big change! Very nice.

4. Ondine says:

What an amazing job she did. I have to say, I love the slightly shabby ‘before’ chair almost as much!

5. PeacockHead says:

What is the fabric on the second chair? I love the colors!

6. Caroline says:

Oh my! As a person trying DIY for the first time myself, I am impressed! PLus, I almost bought that fabric when I reupholstered my chair.

7. Hi there!
    I’m all for using what we already have! This is great! At a store I co-own with my daughter, we offer restyled vintage classics. I haven’t tried the upholstery myself, though. Maybe I will now….I’m inspired. cheers, -susan

8. Simply Amazing! You cannot tell that she doesn’t do reupholstery every day of her life, it looks spectacular

9. Rachel says:

Thanks everyone! It was fun!

Peacock: the fabric is Amy Butler’s Bright Buds in Grey, from her home dec line August Fields.

10. Fay says:

Who knew those little stuffed animals you made in Montessori school would someday lead to this?!! Looks fantastic…I totally believe you can do anything you set your mind to. Hugs and Kisses, mom

1. grace says:

it always makes my day when someone’s mom leaves a comment. it’s so sweet :)

grace

11. that chair went from old and dingy to modern and fresh. amazing!

12. This is exactly what I want to do to my chairs. How do you learn to upholster? Of find a good one in seattle?

13. so sweet! I can’t believe this is your first upholstery. Gives me hope for the street-found chair sitting in my bedroom, as of yet just as I found it.

14. byABPryor says:

Refreshingly Elegant!

15. Christina says:

These are fantastic makeovers!

16. Joy says:

I’m about to paint a chair that has that straw like mesh back and wondered if spray paint or brushed on paint is better/easier?

17. Merrell says:

Joy,
    I am doing a similar-type project right now. You may have already done your chairs, but just in case…. I was considering the same question and ended up using spray paint – so glad I did!! It covered the back perfectly.

I am still in the process, but I will post a finished picture on my new blog – overyonderyall.blogspot.com – in the next couple weeks.

18. Katy says:

Really nice after… but I loved the tufting!

19. Jordan says:

Such a beautiful chair it turned out to be! I’m a firm believer that with a little TLC any piece of furniture can be taken from drab to fab!

20. Donna says:

Can you put up instructions on how you did upolstry