before & after: amy’s louisiana home

this before & after is part makeover, part sneak peek. the lovely amy shutt of day lab was kind enough to share photos of her new home in southern louisianna and i couldn’t resist including the before shots so you could see how far she’s come in her new space. i’ll let amy do the rest of the talking, so i hope you’ll enjoy her home as much as i did. stay tuned for another sneak peek at 1pm (and more tomorrow)! (be sure to click “read more” at the bottom of the post to see full-sized images of amy’s home)

My daughter and I moved into our house in Southeast Louisiana three years ago. It is located on a street with an eighty year old oak allee in a neighborhood established on old plantation land in 1923. We just love it here. The house itself was built in 1939 by an English Professor at the state university here. It was later severely remodeled and added onto in the late 1960s. Aside from the lipstick and rouge type of alterations here and there the house had largely remained as it was in the late 1960s until we moved in (this includes flooring and wallpaper). The original family who built and lived in the house until the mid-1970s are still the owners. Before we moved in it had been rented to a couple who remained tenants for twenty years; it was not your typical rental house and had been well maintained over these years.

Because it was a rental I was limited in what I could do in trying to make it feel like as much of our home as possible. I was given permission to paint the walls and to pull up the old bright blue carpet in every room upstairs (it was covering the original wood floors). Just these two changes alone made a huge difference.

As a young single parent I was pretty limited in what furniture I did have and in some ways I was literally starting from scratch with this move. I constantly have to come up with new creative ideas for functional and affordable furnishings, in lieu of dropping several hundred dollars for whatever it is I may need. It has been a fun challenge so far.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Amy’s makeover/sneak peek after the jump (including additional, full-sized images)

1. Mac MgGivens says:

2. joe says:

Nice job- I enjoy your blog but have a question about the b/w zig-zag rug in your living room. I am looking for versions of this. Can you give me a clue?

3. Amy Shutt says:

Hey Joe-The zig zag rug is from West Elm.

Amy Shutt

4. Meli lynn says:

I love that wallpaper!

5. Suzanne says:

Congratulations! I especially love the mint green, white and brilliant yellow of the kitchen. You took a dark brown cave and made it an oasis. Painting the walls white leaves a fine pallette for your furnishings that makes everything pop! Fresh! I bet you are really enjoying what you made so beautiful.

6. Leah says:

I love how unique & nature-inspired your home is & it really makes me miss BR! (I went to LSU also). Thanks so much for sharing!

7. Kierstin says:

Wonderful home! Would you be willing to share where you got that marimekko fabric, or the name of it? I can’t seem to find it online and it’s just what i’ve been looking for. thanks!

8. Amy Shutt says:

Kierstin-The Marimekko fabric was a 2007 (I believe) fabric I got on sale at I don’t remember the name, you may want to try searching Marimekko on ebay though, I am sure it shows up over there from time to time. :)

9. Tatsu says:

I do like the bedroom; that yellow bed frame is inspired. Was it enamelled to start with and what sort of paint did you use please?

10. Joyce says:

Amazing makeover. I love how you’ve brighten up the place with colours and patterns. Beautiful!

11. Laurie V says:

Love what you did with the place!

12. Amy Shutt says:

Tatsu: I believe it was a powder-coated steel bed (gray in color). I sanded it down, primed it, 2 to 3 coats of latex paint, then did a couple coats of a protective poly finish.

13. Alyssa says:

Wow this is absolutely gorgeous!!
    I agree, I would also like to know how the bed frame was painted. I have the same bed and have been considering getting a new bed, but after seeing that it can be painted it would be a much cheaper solution! Can you please share how you did it?

14. Sigrid says:

I am really inspired by homes like these where the design grows out of someone’s personal style, their collections, their needs and even a limited budget!

15. Libby says:

OMG! Amy, I have that same magazine tear of the cat painting that you have on your bulletin board…that is too funny because I always think its so random (and I don’t even like cats), for some reason I am just drawn to it…

Your home is beautiful and makes me jealous that my landlord wont let me paint my wood molding and doors…it looks so clean and nice!

16. Viktor says:

Bright and beautiful home. I prefer rooms with anymore color/contrast. It is beautiful!

17. Putting books in the fireplace is inspired! I have a similar fireplace with no other use than taking up space.. might have to try this!

18. Miss Jess says:

I saw this a while back on Amy’s own blog I think? I can’t remember exactly, but her place has literally stuck with me – especially her bright yellow bed frame. Good job Amy! Your home is beautiful.

19. jordan says:

your home is absolutely lovely!

20. Dana says:

Before the makeover the rooms looked lifeless, But it came to life after the makeover. Really like the bed rod color changed to yellow. and the picture frame on the wall. the room loos so amazing. totally different.

Like the kitchen half window curtain too its hapy atmosphere there now. and the zig-zag black and white rug is stunning.

Your place rocks :)

21. Amy Shutt says:

Painting the bed: I sanded it down, primed it, 2 to 3 coats of latex paint, then did a couple coats of a protective poly finish. Easy, just takes a while b/c of the several coats applied….but can be finished in 2 days.

22. Robin Dodd says:

how FANTASTIC!!!! I’m now officially addicted to this blog..

23. Jen says:

this is gorgeous… and it’s also the same shade of grey as my living room!!!

24. Ginny says:

I love your home Amy! Where did you get your black and white rug?

25. Susan says:

OMG! Can I live with you? LOL I love EVERYThING in your house.

26. stacie says:

looks lovely…what color did you use in the living & bedrooms?

27. stacie says:

nevermind…just found it!

28. kixvix says:

What an amazing makeover! The black and white carpet did wonders to the living room! Great job! :)

29. carlitadee says:

This is perfectly beautiful and soothing. And I know what you mean about getting creative due to financial limitations. I’m learning, though, that this is not a bad thing at all.

30. Kortnee says:

Sending this to my boyfriend so he can understand what my version of the afterlife looks like.

31. Kortnee says:

Sorry for the double comment but wanted to let you know that I’m sharing a link to the website on my blog. :3