weeder’s digest: valentine’s flowers decoded

Good afternoon everyone! It is I, she who gives a whooty-who-wait-wha(?) about Valentines day on the outside, but secretly on the inside wants my boyfriend to deliver to me one of the following:

1. flowers (even though I am a florist)
2. diamonds and pearls
3. a live beating heart

And maybe you can relate to this… perhaps you’re all nonchalant with a spiel about how V-day is an over-marketed holiday involving underpaid rose farmers in South America and cheap (albeit delicious) chocolate candies in a heart shape box with a flavor map. YES. I mean, NO. Truth is, expectations run amok on Valentine’s Day and most of us need a little something to remember why we’ve started or stayed in a Relationship, whether it’s a dozen red roses or a chocolate bust of Stevie Nicks.*

During the victorian era most folks were studied in in the art of floriography, or what was known as The Language of Flowers. Different flowers indicated different intentions; most obviously and well know, red roses infer passion and true love… pink roses…eh, not so much. There are over 250 species of roses, and rose fossils have been found in the Oligocene deposits in modern-day Colorado; roses have graced the earth for at least 35 million years. Every rose has it’s thorn. It is said that cupid, while shooting arrows at bees that had stung him, created thorns on rose stems where his arrows missed. When Venus was trying to save her dying lover Adonis, she shed a few drops of blood creating the first red roses. If only she knew they’d be grown year-round south of the equator (roses are indigenous only in the Northern Hemisphere) with formaldehyde, stored for weeks after cut, and mixed with baby’s breath…all for $100 a dozen. But enough! After all, it is the thought that counts with flowers. And that thought may run deeper than you think. If we backtrack and consult the Victorian text we soon discover that each individual flower has a unique meaning. I’ve always enjoyed reading into things…and so I give you:

Anything with red roses indicates TRUE LOVE; truer that true, passion, the realest, the sizzler blue plate special, “Girl I’m gonna take you out for dinner and dancing. And you can order the steak tonight.” type of deal. I like steak, so that’s good I guess. NEXT!

Anything with orchids to me reads “Girl I understand that your are exotic and unusual and have needs like a delicate flower. Because I am sensitive. And I know that luxury is important to you. And that is why I spent an obscene amount of money on these. So much in fact, that I have been forced to give up my spot at Treasure Island Self Storage, and that is why you are surrounded by my model car collection.”

Hot pink reads HOT in general to me, like the Cosmo quizzes that embarrass you but you take them anyway. (You don’t blog about these things.) With flowers, hot pink feels very sexy to me. But also reminds me of a Juicy Couture Charm Bracelet and a Champagne Rain. In a good way I think. Like this…”Girl I wanna see you work, see you dance. With out that shirt, without those pants.”

A woodsy, romantic mix like this with ranunculus, peonies, and anemones says let’s take this to the next level. “Girl, I WILL help you move out of your 5-floor walk up.”

Poppies and yellow in general is commitment and friendship. “Thank you for always cleaning the cat box. I love you, and your italian stuffed peppers with sausage. We would both look so good together behind the wheel of a ’73 El Camino.”

Last but not least stands the single stem. A single flower given is the best (and it pains me to say this as a florist, but I’m practicing honesty lately) romantic gift. Especially on Valentines Day. Because it says you thought about me, about the fact that it was, in fact, Valentines day. But you didn’t feel that you needed an expensive bouquet to tell me how much you love me. –Sarah

*DOES NOT EXIST to my knowledge.

1. Alix says:

Love, love love the column and the pix! But please: “it’s” = “it is”; “its” (no apostrophe) is the possessive form. I have yet to read a blog that gets this right.

2. rachel says:

absolutely hysterical!!

3. grace says:

hi guys!

sorry for the comments being turned off last night- i’m not sure what happened, but they’re back on now. sorry!

4. Alix says:

Sarah has a blog? Could somebody remind me where? I love people who quote Liz Lemon.

5. Norine says:

Awwww. this post made me smile and drag my husband over to the computer.

6. danielle says:

i love this new column!

7. grace says:

sarah’s name at the end of the post links to her blog, but the link is:

8. Anjuli says:

Hahaha! I love it! Also I totally agree with your assessment of how girls feel on v-day (too cool but secretly hoping for a surprise). Yes!

9. redddooread says:

this is a fantastic post. happy v day.

10. Karyn says:

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Happy Valentine’s Day! D*S and Weeder’s Digest make it that much more fun! You all are awesome.

11. senseandsounds says:

you do the best yellows I’ve ever seen.

12. adwoa says:

love. this. column; i JUST started buying myself weekly flowers and the notion of them talking to me in faux-thug voices is making me even more excited to branch out!

13. Heather H says:

Great post! I ordinarily would never read about flowers but this was so cute! I’m even allergic to most flowers so I’ve never been given any on Valentine’s Day, but this makes me wish I wasn’t allergic!

14. Mallory says:

happy valentine’s day! thanks for the wonderful post and beautiful photos!

15. Jade says:

Thank you for decoding the meaning of flowers. And a lone stem is definitely more meaningful :)

16. Lisa says:

I was also a skimmer, then got hooked by ”Girl I wanna see you work, see you dance. With out that shirt, without those pants.”. Rad.

17. sarah, girl, that’s some pure awesomeness right there. i’m sending you a virtual arrangement in golden hues.

my boyfriend totally went for the orchid deal, and with him it was transformers not model cars…

18. kareina says:

i know it’s been said, but i LOVE your style. so refreshing! thanks for joining design sponge. good stuff.

19. Miss Blossom says:

Your flowers are gorgeous! My husband goes for chocolate on valentines day, but I get blush pink roses from my daughter and husband at times when I need some softness. I think that at the end of the day, as long as the flowers are old carnations from the local gas station, it’s all good.

20. donna says:

i like the way you write,
    very much.

21. jennifer in sf says:

I know this is a little old, but oh my god so funny. I am loving your columns!

22. Justin says:

Amazing Read I just had. What a great article

23. Roses says:

Beautiful flowers

24. Andrea says:

i love these posts!

Now, was that “diamonds and pearls” valentines wish really referring to a Prince song? I think maybe it was….

25. Chuck says:

I was just going to say that DALI had a mechanical Heart brooch that was made of Ruby, diamond, gold and Pearls, and stuff. two birds with one stone. lol

26. Ich würde müssen lesen mit Ihnen hier. Was nicht etwas I oft zu tun! I Freude an lesen a Aufmachungen das wird die Leute denken. Auch , vielen Dank für zulässt mir comment !