sneak peek: molly of life + limb

by

portland, oregon has some of the best shops around. one of those is LIFE + LIMB, an indoor plant and modern home accessories shop run by graphic design trained molly quan. luckily for those of us not in portland, molly just opened an online shop, but today is all about her home. i’m just bummed that this time around we don’t get to see her skateboard ramp that was hit hard by a december storm. in the meantime, we’ll just have to enjoy the great photos below (and a few extras here). [thanks, molly and congrats on having the site up!]anne

[Molly on her house: I skateboard and had to have a house with a yard big enough to build a miniramp. I spent 8 months looking for it and once I found my 1954 ranch, I thought I’d be here forever. As soon as I got the keys, I called my friend Louis to help build the ramp. Long story short, it’s been 4 and half years and he’s still here. Louis had his own house too, but we sold it, put most of his stuff in storage and have been looking for a place that’s “ours”. So for now, this is our home…]

Living room: couch & chair were a sweeeeet deal on eBay. Heywood Wakefield coffee table from my uncle who collects lots of old stuff too. Bookshelf, Ikea of course. Lots of things on display from various garage and estate sales and thrift stores. All artwork from friends. Books… we have a lot, many more in boxes.

A lot of people ask about the mantle, I don’t know much about it, it was there when I moved in.

Dining room: Louis got the Eames chairs on eBay and table from an office supply store. Buffet from a garage sale. Jean Pelle candlesticks and various vintage items on buffet. Rickshaw painting by Adam Haynes – as well as painting above bookshelf in living room. Small painting by Mark Warren Jacques. Photos I shot on a trip to Joshua Tree.

Bedroom: side tables from my uncle. Bed from Hive Modern. Credenza, another estate sale find. Assortment of art including some from garage sales and some from friends.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Molly’s home tour…

Office: Ikea desks, various vintage items. Prints by Mark Warren Jacques, El Camino painting by my good friend Roger Seliner. Maybe someday I’ll have a real El Camino.

Bikini girls, old friends I shot one day at the pool.

1. grace says:

Hi everyone!

Well, the good news is- we managed to switch servers today without too many hitches.

The bad news is- we lost everything that was posted today- including comments.

That said, I copied everyone’s comments in a screengrab before the switch so I’ll be reposting them manually here.

I’m so sorry- we didn’t know this would happen, so from now on things should be working normally.

Thanks for your patience and understanding

Grace :)

2. grace says:

batch one of comments the server ate:

gk2829:

CUTE DOG!

Emily

that bright blue couch is just the perfect color. and what a cute story about the skateboard ramp!

Dallas

a-mazing couch

Magchunk

That gray wall is divine!

queenpretty:

where are the large pots from that sit around the mantle? they are really great.

maureen:

wow. i wanna live here!

3. grace says:

batch two:

Kristan

What a fabulous fireplace! And couch. And dog! :P

Jenny

I want that turquise couch!!!!

jackie kersh

love it all!

Lisa

I love your dog and your home! I love all the little vignettes you have around and the mix of old and new. Where is the task lamp on your desk from? Love the color.

elissa

Wow, great place! Especially the couch. I have the same coffee table except that a previous owner stained it dark (and not in a good way). Seeing it blonde makes me want to strip it down again.

Joanna

The little pops of color are genius. I could so wile away an afternoon here….especially if the pup can keep me company.

4. grace says:

batch three:

The Other Tiffany

Really lovely home. Just the right amount of color and some very nice vintage pieces!

KC:

What’s the name of the gray accent wall color?

Christina @ Pardon My Vintage

I’m drooling over this home! Great peeks today! Love the chess set and all the pottery … it all works together so well. :-)

Does anyone knows who makes the black and white clock shown on her desk in the picture third from the bottom?

Lauren:

Hey Molly! Love your place and your photography. I live in PDX too – will definitely be by to check out Life+Limb soon! Can I ask you where you got your puppy? I am looking for a Frenchie and was just curious as to where you found yours. Thanks!

Marieke McArthur

I am greeeen with envy. Thanks for sharing!

Leah Hennen

Love it!

5. grace says:

one more:

jean

congrats on having the site up! looks fantastic and so does your home! :)

6. alli bozeman says:

i’m not sure of the difference between a couch and a sofa. but either way – i want it!

7. Grover says:

Holy carp! That couch is perfection on four little couch feet! Love it!

8. What a marvelous space down to every last detail! …. furniture, pottery, plants, collections, color palette, etc. And look at your very intelligent canine striking a pose, what a cutie! :~)

9. Amber V says:

What a lovely home! I have to confess though, it was the El Camino love that made me stop and comment. I have wanted one since I was 16 and people always look at me like I’m crazy when I say that. Your El Camino painting made me all warm and fuzzy inside :)

10. hi everyone, thanks for all the comments! I think my late night comments got lost… but here are some answers to questions…
    Pots by mantle: green and orange ones from estate sales. The white one is Gainey and we sell ’em at the shop, 5 sizes, and loads of colors.
    Lamp & Clock: both from the same garage sale. The clock is a Seiko Transistor.
    Grey Wall: Miller Paint 8705D Barn Rafter. Eggshell finish.
    French Bulldog: Lauren – please call or email me at the shop, would love to talk Frenchies! Or stop by, he is frequently with me at the shop during the week!
    PS. the couch came with a matching chair too! I think I lucked out because i only searched “couch” and a picked a distance when looking on Ebay, no other specifics.

thanks again! and thank you Grace and Anne!

11. p.s. must further the el camino chatter… a 1974 metallic teal blue variety was my first car @ age 16. wish i had realized how cool it was @ the time. (not as cool as the earlier generation in Roger’s painting though.) unfortunately, i was going through a short-lived geeky laura ashley stage. grief. oh well, a salut to *the road*… Roger’s work is fantastic & looks great in this space, Molly. :~)

12. oh, i think that my comment last night didn’t go through… anyways, hi molly! this is vanessa from everything gardens. i dropped into your shop when i was in portland this past summer. i got so excited to see you here (and you’re gorgeous home!) anyways, congrats on the site and the tour. my shop is up and running in los angeles, so if you ever make it down here stop by!

13. jackie kersh says:

love this house and all the wonderful details.

14. hey amy, i totally understand. i want an all white one with just a little fleck in the paint… someday…

and hi vanessa! i would love to stop by next time i’m in LA! thanks!

15. birda says:

your house is awesome! will be in pdx in april and will def go check out your shop. i love your bedspread. do you mind sharing the “where to buy” info with us? thanks!

16. thanks! and sure! the duvet is from Amenity, http://www.amenityhome.com. i don’t think they have that exact one anymore, but do have other cool ones!

17. Anne Ruthstrom says:

I really love the unmatched bedroom pics with similar frames, great visual.
    Where did you get the white owl on the mantle?

18. Emily says:

I too love the unmatched bedroom pics, as i have been trying to get this same effect in my bedroom. Question tho, Is that an ivory billed wood pecker hanging sideways?!?

19. the owl is Jonathan Adler. and yes, whatever kind of wood pecker it is, is hanging sideways. I liked it better that way! found it at a garage or estate sale.

20. kim says:

The colour of the couch is perfect, and the dog is perfect too.

21. seana marie says:

lovely home! I lived in ne pdx years ago, need to go back for a visit! I will take your beautiful dining area and doggie :) may I ask what type of ikea shelving you have in your lv? thanks!

22. susy says:

Wow! I love this comfortable, personal space.

Molly is one of my customers…and so for me, seeing this was really special. She has a wonderful, earthy and warm style…

23. Juli says:

Could you tell us where the chess set is from? My boyfriend was wanting a modern chess set and it would be perfect. Thanks!!!

btw, nice space!

24. thanks again!
    I can’t remember the name of the ikea shelving and i don’t see it online. i do think it’s something i have seen in the store though recently.
    We found the chess set at a thrift store…

25. Ithavee says:

Quiero ver el Gato!

26. liz r says:

i love your house, molly! you do an excellent job putting together gorgeous colors. it’s so refreshing!

27. Gabi says:

Wow, I loved that dining room! Want mine just like that!

28. Bethany Rose Hildenbrandi says:

I like your paint choices. Your house looks warm and inviting!

29. Lynn says:

I love your rug! Can you tell me where you got it and whether or not it sheds? Thanks!

30. hi Lynn! i got the rug at Urban Outfitters, probably 5 or more years ago. sheds some, not a lot… mostly from the dog playing on it.

Ithavee – i tried going to your site to send you a photo of the cat. no luck!

31. Susan says:

molly, i just saw your feature on readymade and went in search of your paint colors and happened to find your feature here. i love the colors, esp against the neutral background! i will be painting my place soon and was so happy to find inspiration in your home. luckily, someone already asked in the comments area. again, love the place…super cute dog too!

32. Marie says:

AMAZING mantle!!!

33. Dana says:

Beautiful wall colors and cool sofa color.
    Amazing wok..

34. Wow this house is awesome look. I like most that table design, its made something new and different style, I really glad to seen this house pictures.

35. Berni says:

I like a lot the skateboard deck on the wall. Very good taste.