sneak peek: lisa wong jackson

by

when we got sight of lisa wong jackson‘s home during her in the kitchen with recipe (individual fig, blackberry and pear crips – yum!), we knew we had to see more! today the designer behind good on paper design, opens up the doors to her berkeley, california home she shares with her husband and boston terrier, pixel. don’t forget to click here for the full peek of lisa’s home, or click “read more” below. and if that’s not enough, there are additional images here, and as always, you can find all of our sneak peeks right here[thanks a million, lisa!]anne

[above: My husband and I moved into our Cliff May—designed, mid-century modern house about 4 months ago. The house is located in North Berkeley near Tilden Park, and we love being surrounded by the trees, trails, and fresh air. It’s about a 10 minute drive to cute stores and restaurants in Berkeley’s Solano Avenue neighborhood. We were especially drawn to the house by its abundant windows, natural light, and open floor plan. The house needed several repairs and improvements when we purchased it, most of which have been completed, but there is still a bit of work to be done (particularly landscaping). My husband Nick loves gettings his hands dirty in the backyard and has been diligently demolishing and replacing retaining walls, moving dirt, and building doggie gates for our Boston Terrier, Pixel. We can’t wait to have a garden so we can put our compost to use. We recently had a concrete staircase and ipe wood handrail designed and constructed by landscape architecture firm 5 Elements Design. When we purchased the house, the front walkway was essentially a bare hillside, with a few wooden planks for steps. We’re looking forward to planting some native grasses and drought-resistant plants to accent the new walkway.]

Natural light enters the house in almost every room, but it’s especially nice in this corner, where we like to relax and read. Everyone tends to fall asleep in the blue chair, including Pixel. The print on the left is by The Small Stakes and the print on the right is by Cody Hudson. My favorite chair in the house is the NY Chair, designed by Takeshi Nii. It’s a cozy rocking chair with an added, practical feature of folding down to 5 inches in width..

This is a view of our couch and entryway, where I literally drop everything the minute I get home. (As you can see, Pixel is a camera hog). The pillows are by Hable Construction, Sharon Spain, and Area. The blanket is by bombdesign.

Our wedding photos are displayed in the front entrance of the house. The frames were purchased at Aaron Brothers, which has an annual “buy one frame, get the second for a penny” sale, so I stocked up. One of my favorite art pieces in the house is the stuffed “Pixel,” designed by Sian Keegan using vintage and recycled fabrics. We keep our loose change in the little red “owl-y bank.”

I love the dining area. Guests can sit here and enjoy the view of San Francisco or chat with me while I’m cooking. It’s an open, inviting space that is great for entertaining. The dining table is from Crate and Barrel, the end chairs are from Room and Board, and the Leaf Chairs are by Arper. The shelves are Lack from Ikea. The print on the left is by Wayne Pate and the print on the right is by Suzanne Lagasa.

CLICK HERE for more pictures of lisa’s home…

For the bedroom, I try to use neutral tones for a serene, relaxing atmosphere. The white picture frames above the bed (also purchased at the Aaron Brothers annual sale) display photographs of our family, close friends, my brother and I as kids, our favorite dogs, and my parents when they were young.

1. Diana says:

Love everything. Every little bit of it. But where are gray couch and blue chair from? Inquiring minds want to know…

2. Barbidahll says:

LOVE IT! Lisa, I worked with Paper Monkey on my wedding invites and I just drooled over your work when I was planning my wedding! Your home is gorgeous! I hope I run into you someday around the neighborhood.. My husband and I live in Rockridge. =D

3. erin says:

amazing! this is my dream home! its modern but comfortable and casual and so much light!

4. Lisa Jackson says:

Elisabeth/JW – the bed is the Malm bed from Ikea! It’s really affordable. I love that it’s low. The color is Oak Veneer I believe. The credenza is the Sussex credenza from Design Within Reach. I got a really great deal on it at the DWR Warehouse Sale because it was broken on the side but my husband was able to fix it. It’s also secretly crooked. Essoakland – yes! I totally forgot to mention that the cute smaller rectangular pillow is from Lena Corwin. Love her stuff and still have to get her book. Kathryn/Winnie – the side table is the Tablo table from Design House Stockholm. Becky – the low bookshelf is from Ikea too! I forget the name of it but it came in a whitewash and an unfinished wood which I thought I would like more, but my husband convinced me the whitewash would look good so we went for it.

5. bridget212323 says:

Beautiful home Lisa, what a treat to live in a Cliff May! I’ve been looking for that tray table by the blue chair for AGES! Where did you pick that up?

6. Felicia says:

What a beautiful home, Lisa! I’m a big fan of your work, and it’s such a treat to read about your home. Thanks D*S!

7. Lindsey says:

I have that Room & Board chair, the tray table next to it, the Camilla Engman print, Nelson bench, and covet the DWR side table! I’d say we have very similar taste, and I love how it all works together in your home. Lovely inspiration for mine, which is much less put together.

8. Lindsey says:

I forgot to mention that we also have the same Crate & Barrel couch!

9. Daniel says:

Wow, looks like she’s the master of creating several cosy areas in one room. Brilliant use of space!

10. Jo in NZ says:

Same as Erin ~ I bought the rocking chair in London and brought it all the way over to NZ with me, not knowing exactly who designed it, but simply loving it. So very comfy. And I smile every time I look at it. AT made mention a couple of months ago, too ….
    http://snurl.com/b7voc [www_apartmenttherapy_com]

Thanks for the tour!!!

11. Annika says:

What a beautiful home! Light, stylish and cosy. I also think that the pictures are hung a bit too high. When you do that you lower the ceiling height visually. Most people would like the opposite effect. Cute Bostonterrier! ♥

12. ana lemos de gusmaoi says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL HOUSE. WHT BEAUTIFUL WORKS!!!!!!
    I’M SORRY TO LIVE SO FAR FROM YOU OTHERWISE I WOULD ATTEMPT YOUR CLASSES.

ANA (FROM PORTUGAL)

13. Laura says:

Lovely home. Very serene and peaceful. Is your home one level?

14. jason says:

Cliff May houses are the best! so much natural light…and you have such a great style to make it a home!

15. margie says:

amazing house Lisa! love your aesthetics and taste level. Pixel is adorable, too!

16. heartj9 says:

I’m always jealous of spaces that enhance the daylight. In Seattle, where I live, that is impossible for 10 months of the year. Since we don’t have daylight access, see. I guess we could enhance the rain. It’s a design challenge that we Pacific Northwesterners need to take on. But, SAD prevents me from doing that. Also…your home is supergorgeous and everything but OMG your BT!!! And his little white face, it is melting my heart!

17. Jolie says:

lookin good you two!

18. Debrah says:

Just wondering – how do you keep your house warm without any window coverings. I too like the curtainless windows – but right now I’m freezing! or racking up the heating bill. Any suggestions?

19. Saskia says:

You have a beautiful house! It’s light, fresh and warm. Thank you for charing this with me. Can you please tell me what’s hanging above your bedside table? I don’t know if it’s a print or a painting.

20. joe Barthlow says:

I remember this house on the market a few months ago. nice job.

21. Lucy says:

I also love the print/painting in the black frame hanging above the bedside table! Who is the artist? A lovely home, thanks for sharing.

22. melanie says:

i love it when white homes are so homey, it looks so pretty! and i have the same duvet cover :)

23. Yip Yagoda says:

Where can one buy a NY Chair nowadays? Are they still being made? Thank you.