sneak peek: bjorg juto

i always love when we get to look into homes around the world and unexpected places. today we’re traveling to the home of the very talented icelandic product designer, björg juto. her family has been in the apartment for two years now, slowly remodeling it to their taste. it’s a wonderful blend of her background (icelandic mother and swedish father), full of delightful pieces with their own stories. their are great elements of fun throughout the home, just like in her own work.  click here for more images of björg‘s home, here to see her feature in the regional roundup: iceland, and here for more of her work. [thanks, björg!] anne

[above: This golden sofa was bought at an auction in Sweden about 30 years ago and has been in the family since. It can turn the most humble abode into a palace and looks good just about everywhere.]

This is a view of one of the living room corners.  From here you can usually hear a gentle guitar melody as one of our sons practices playing his guitar, entertaining the family at the same time.   The decoration on the balcony door is homemade, the picture of the cat is drawn by the guitarist and the pillow made by the childrens great grandmother, one for each child.  On the table is a cake dish that I flocked and can now be used for something quite different than serving cake.  Things of a similar nature will be sold on my website soon.

This is a view inside the kitchen.  I bought the fabric for the tablecloth in Sweden.  It is called Birdland and is designed by Ann-Cathrine Sigrid.  It is one of my favorite things, so colorful and lively that it always raises my spirit.  The bowl on the table is part of a set from Arabia. We needed something for this wall in the living room so we decided to take a picture of the whole family where each family member was engaged in a typical activity for their character. The picture was then printed on a large canvas. The chairs are from all over.  The white one is one of two chairs from a primary school in Sweden where my grandmother used to teach several decades ago.

This large hand-stitched wall carpet was given to me as a present by my grandmother when I got my first tooth.   She kept it for me for a long time and now I am finally in an apartment where I can place it in a location that does it justice.

This century old cabinet we inherited from a relative, the chair is from the primary school in Sweden and the teak desk was bought second hand on the internet.   The ceiling light is by Le Klint. The picture is by the swedish artist Evy Loos.

The shelves were built for our library of books.  They are great for storage and can store endless amounts of stuff.   The rug is from Droog design.  The ceiling light is a german Siemens light, made in the 1930’s that was once a ceiling fixture in a primary school  in Reykjavik where my grandfather used to work.   The stool belongs to the golden sofa.  The Ericofon telephone was bought through the internet. The chair in the back is from an estate and the monster on the wall above it is homemade.

CLICK HERE to see the rest of Bjorg Juto’s home after the jump…

We got a few old doors from an old house in downtown Reykjavik and this one is used as a decoration while it waits to serve its original purpose once again. The chair we inherited as well as the calfskin and the bucket that houses all of our excess electronic equipment cabling. . . I made a mold of Piccachu and made a few out of plaster.  They now decorate our piano which regrettably nobody knows how to play.

This dresser belonged to my grandparents.  It used to be filled with their tablecloths and now it contains mine.   It is built by my grandmothers brother around 1930.  The hanger is from a primary school in Reykjavik and the toys have been in the family since about 1920.   The dress is waiting for my one-year old daughter to be old enough to wear it.  It is a danish design from Ziestha.

This is a danish cabinet and in it we keep our cups and glasses.   I fell head over heals for the choice of colors, pitch black on the outside and bright yellow on the inside.  Just wonderful.

The jar and the little chair are homemade, the bird is a flute that I have never been able to play properly and the stones are from Iceland.  They are naturally covered in clay and soft and gentle to touch.  The picture is by the Icelandic artist Jóhanna Sveinsdóttir.

1. MER says:

Mhmmm, I’m looking for a cofeetable like that!

2. Stephanie says:

I love the bunny rug!

3. Jennette says:

Not only does it look all gorgeous and shabby-chic, but it also looks like someone actually LIVES there.

4. rob in chicago says:

Might be the best SP yet. Great space, touching mementos, stylish decor w/o going overboard.

This is how I hope to live, one day (when/if with family).

Four stars.

5. rob in chicago says:

This is how I hope to live, one day.

Four stars.

6. I love the pictures on the wall!

This is so fabulous overall.

7. what a great space! i especially loved all the little plaster piccachu’s! great idea..

8. Stacey says:

I love how it is such a real home with such a personal style, beautiful!

9. Maru Luarca says:

Gorgeous, but real!
    Nice done decor.

10. i love how cozy and simple it is..and still so stylish! one of my favorites…

11. Bess says:

Lovely space, so warm and simple. I adore the Ziestha dress, such a great print! thumbs up!

12. nina says:

Amazing… what a dream home!

13. Melissa says:

Beautiful home… I love the quirky little touches like the family picture and the little piccachu’s… I also really like the dining room table cloth and the choice of chairs… Really wonderful!

14. Kristy says:

My new favourite home!

15. rhaya says:

I absolutely LOVE the family photo. LOVE IT.

16. Marlene says:

All the furniture is spectacular.

17. I don’t know much about Iceland, but I am so impress with this interiors!!!
    I like the fact that they rescue family treasures and look back for inspiration!!!

18. Yellowgoat says:

For a second I was wondering if those are piccachu, and I have read the text to confirm it. It’s very fun.

19. Julie says:

This is AWESOME! I love all the family heirlooms. The old furniture has so much character. What a beautiful home.

20. Brandi says:

Love this house. So unique. The canvas of the family in the kitchen is great! The tablecloth is gorgeous. I want it. I love the sentimental touches you have with items from the past. Very meaningful, and very chic. Great job. Thanks for letting us in.

21. lori says:

Lovely home. I ADORE the fabric used for the tablecloth. Anyone know where I could purchase it outside of Sweden?

22. Nikki K says:

I LOVE the tablecloth fabric! Do you know if it’s still available? I searched for it online, but didn’t have much success.

23. Marie-Eve says:

love the different chairs (with one in blue color) and the bunny carpet. Perfect happiness!

24. sara says:

Wonderful! I also would love to know a source for the tablecloth fabric.

25. queenpretty says:

That family photo is the smartest thing I have seen this year. So cool! Love it.

26. björg says:

Thanks for all the nice comments !
    I searched the Birdland fabric on the internet and got a few results, but for some reason they are all in japaneese. Here are some of them:

27. crissy says:

“We needed something for this wall in the living room so we decided to take a picture of the whole family where each family member was engaged in a typical activity for their character.”

SO EXCELLENT!!! Might have to do this too. I love it! Very 1950’s how-to manual.

28. Kate says:

Perfect. So perfect. What a lovely, creative and peaceful home. Inspirational and aspirational!

29. Raj says:

A truly aspirational piece of work at home design. Wonder if bjorg would be keen to share some of that expertise with a wider audience through my website.

30. björg says:

Raj, I would love to !
    Thank you all again for the beutiful comments about my home !

31. Erica W says:

I NEED that sofa in the top picture!

32. Claudia says:

I know this is two years old, but I was just poking around the archives (and best of bookcases) and I have a little clay bird flute. It doesn’t look exactly like that, but it really only works if you put water in it. It makes a small reedy whistling noise without water, but with water it’s as loud as a gym teacher’s whistle!