in the kitchen with: nikko moy

I love naturally colorful foods and was really happy when Nikko Moy from Ashes & Milk sent over her version of a recipe for Miso Stew which she found on epicurious. The original Miso Stew was adapted from a recipe by Brooklyn-based Chef Alex Jamieson. It’s a great dish to have for winter months when you want something to warm you up, and as Nikko has shown you can easily adapt the ingredients to fit your own palate without losing out on flavor, texture, or beauty! Of course, if you’re like me and don’t know what dulse is, you might be forced to use your own ingredients! [A special thanks to Chef Alex Jamieson for granting us permission to print her recipe, and sharing her new blog about healthy green living on the cheap with us!] –Kristina

About Nikko: Born in the city of Chicago and raised in a little town next to a forest preserve, Nikko developed this sort of ubiquitous approach to design that is mixed with an earthy natural kind of aesthetic. She just launched the online gallery Ashes & Milk and devotes pretty much all of her time curating and writing about artwork from around the world. When she is not working, she cooks a lot mainly because she loves to eat a lot. She is a fan of fresh foods, mainly produce from local Midwest farmers or independently owned grocers. She currently lives in the very green Chicago neighborhood of Logan Square with her husband Adam, cat and two dogs.

CLICK HERE for the full recipe and instructions

Nikko Moy’s Miso Stew

2 tablespoons arame, soaked in 1 cup filtered water in a small bowl

2 ½ cups water

½ medium onion, chopped into large pieces

1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

1 large or 2 small purple potatoes, thinly sliced crosswise

½ lb firm tofu, cut into 1” cubes

1/2 carrot, halved lengthwise, grated into long strips with veggie peeler

5 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced

1 (1-inch) piece kombu

1 package of enoki mushrooms, stems discarded

½ – 1 tablespoon Shiromiso (white miso) to taste

1 cup very thinly sliced bok choy

1 teaspoon tamari to taste

1 scallion, thinly sliced

½ teaspoon dulse flakes

1. Cook purple potatoes in 1 tablespoon of oil in 3-quart saucepan over moderate heat till tender and crispy on the outside, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer into bowl and set aside.

2. Sauté onion in 2 teaspoons of oil in the same 3-quart saucepan over moderate heat. Stir frequently until it begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook just enough to emit a fragrance, about 30 seconds.

3. Add tofu, carrot, shiitakes, kombu and 2 ½ cups water. Simmer until carrot is tender, about 4 minutes. Turn off heat.

4. Put miso in a small bowl and add 1/4 cup (cooled) stew liquid, mixing until miso is more liquid. Stir into stew a little at time, to taste. Note: do not allow the miso to come to a full boil. Adding miso to preparations after they have cooled, preserves the flavor and nutritional value.

5. Drain and rinse arame and add to stew along with bok choy, tamari, enoki mushrooms stirring to combine.

6. Serve right away. Sprinkle with scallion, dulse flakes and a few slices of purple potato. Note: purple potatoes are naturally purple and contain the same antioxidant that give blueberries their brilliant color.

Why Nikko chose this recipe:

This hearty dish resembles a very thick miso soup prepared with vegetables such as arame and kombu, purple potatoes, shiitake and bok choy. It’s the perfect comfort food, easy to make and packed with nutrients.

The veggies are all available at any grocer and the specialty items can be found either at a local Korean or Japanese grocer, Whole Foods or online here:

Dulse Flakes

1. Yum, I love the vibrant colors of this dish! Miso soup’s been one of my comfort foods since I was very little… What a great way to dress it up.

2. gretchen says:

most gorgeous soup i’ve ever seen. a big fan of vegetables and japanese everything, i’ve got to try it right away. thanks!

3. julia says:

yummy! looks beautiful too!

4. Nikko Moy says:

Funny! I just made this soup for lunch and finished slurping it down minutes ago…and now here it is again.

Thank you for the opportunity to share this on D*S.

5. rebecca says:

beautiful, and that first cuttingboard/trivet is wonderful.

6. m says:

love this! I feel stupid since I’m a native Chicagoan living next to Logan Sq, and I’ve never been to wonderful her site haha. Thanks for sharing the links & recipe!

7. Jen Hamilton says:

Beautiful presentation. I can also say that Nikko is a great cook.

8. Lynn Stevens says:

Hey Nikko lives in my neighborhood! Good to know.

9. DesigngirlBrooklyn says:

(sigh, I used to live in logan square) That soup looks amazing!

10. Yellowgoat says:

That’s Vegan food. ;D I love making miso noddle soup in winter.
    And I remember watching Alex and Morgan togther in 30 Day’s first episode, there were some great moments there.

11. beckiwithani says:

One of your other readers sent me this way, and I’m glad she did. What a beautiful stew! Thanks for sharing.

12. Ana says:

this looks SO good- i love miso soup, but i never thought of adding potatoes to it. just when you thought it couldn’t get any better!

i can’t wait to try this, as soon as the v-day chocolate coma wears off.

13. Anne says:

I made this for dinner tonight for my fiance and it was a huge success! I substituted the tofu with chunks of white sable fish. Thanks again for sharing!

14. Chelsea Rose says:

This is beautiful! thanks so much

15. melanie says:

i want that soup! slurp slurp :-)
    misu among other things reminded me of my nice time in tokyo…
    will surely try your recipe, thank you for sharing ^_^

16. Max says:

Absolutely beautifll. Will try because it looks amazing! Love the natural colours. Am curious to how it tasts.