diy project: kate’s vintage wine clips

this week’s diy borders on the frivolous…but all the more reason to make this little trinkets yourself, as opposed to spending money on ones that don’t have your personal touch! we want to have more dinner parties (who doesn’t) and i thought these would add that perfect hostess detail. i used a mix of single earrings i had left over from losing the mate and some vintage clip-ons i found at the flea market. these take two minutes and you are ready to throw a party. happy crafting! – kate

CLICK HERE for the full project instructions…

What You’ll Need:
1. earrings, all kinds
2. earring hoops (you can buy these in packs at bead stores or craft stores)
3. ribbon
4. scissors
5. pliers
6. exacto blades

Instructions:
1. cut your ribbon pieces and snip triangle out to form the pointed edges.
2. fold your ribbons in half and then cut a small slit in the top with the exacto blade so that it can be threaded onto the hoop.
3. thread your ribbons onto the hoops.
4. thread the earrings onto the hoop. for clip-on earrings, you can just thread closed clip-ons onto the hoop and they will stay put. for post earrings, take the pliers and bend the post down to the base of the earrings to form a loop.
5. use the pliers to bend the straight end of the hoop earring to form a hook that will latch into the other side.

VOILA!

1. Lisa says:

Great idea!

2. Sigrid says:

Those look like a blast…could also be a great wedding favor!

3. Chelsea says:

These are perfect as shower favors! Use them on wine glasses during, and then give them to the guests! You can always find jars of mismatched jewelry at Goodwill – perfect for charms!

4. These are so whimsical! My girlfriends would love these for our parties…

5. Mouse says:

Cute idea! I have a bunch of old earrings that belonged to my grandmother–they’re too big to wear, but perfect for this project!

6. Audra says:

I love this! Of course, I love most of your projects. Think I’m off to forage in my jewelery box now!

7. LPC says:

So pretty but the last thing I need is something that makes my wineglass look EVEN BETTER. I did a mockup of charms I need, amused myself to no end. BTW I hope it’s OK to put your images on my blog if I credit them. Couldn’t find any language saying otherwise.

8. Gina says:

I love these! I can’t wait to make some for my friend. It’s her birthday next week.

9. Adorable….I agree with Sigrid, these would be great as wedding favors, or a great way to personalize any party.

10. LuluMae says:

I love this idea!!!! totally adorable!!!!!!!!!

11. Shannon says:

These are great! They would be perfect for a wedding also. What a fun way to throw in your guests name or initials for a place setting and a favor(let each guest take home their wine glass and cool embellishment!)

12. Bridget says:

Not to bring down the classiness of this post, but if you are serving beverages in bottles, you can reuse the larger rubberbands that you get from the grocery store (around broccoli and such), put it around the bottle, and write the person’s name in permanent marker (one of the smaller sharpies). No more lost bottles!

(note: this idea isn’t mine–I think it’s from Lifehacker? –I don’t mean to step on anyone’s toes).

13. Jodi says:

Now these are fierce and clever. Must have!

14. Amanda says:

I loved this idea so much I decided to “do-it-myself” but with my own twist. I didn’t have any earrings that I was willing to use but I did have a bag of vintage buttons. These are my results: http://bit.ly/77SaEi

These are going to be great at my next party. Thanks for the great idea!