diy idea: valentine’s day crafts

with valentine’s day right around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about ways to celebrate the special people in your life (if you haven’t already). i’m a fan of handmade gifts, especially when budgets are tight, and these ideas from twig & thistle are just perfect. emily at wide open spaces sent over their first idea (which she saw on rachel best’s site), which is a free valentine’s day design you can download and print onto a paper bag to house v-day baked goods. i don’t know many people who don’t enjoy a good brownie or cookie so this would be a great idea for anyone looking to bake their way into their loved one’s heart. click here for the free tutorial at twig and thistle.

twig and thistle also posted a free download for a v-day pie box- which i think is such a fun idea. they listed a recipe for making a delicious apple pie, too- what’s not to love? so click here to check out their pie tutorial and start cooking.

1. holly says:

thank you! i love this. so many of the freebies this year are for kiddie cards, but this is something the adults can use too :)

2. So sweet and wonderful type design. This is something I would definitely use.

3. LAurel says:

I love the brownie idea! how sweet!

4. Shannon says:

I’m a graphic designer and i’m swooning over these ideas! :)

5. Nikko Moy says:

CUTE! Great ideas for this Friday I am making some homemade chocolate truffles….

6. LEAH says:

the custom printed bags are such a great idea, the only hard part would be deciding what to make to put in them!

7. Erin says:

Yum! Such a cute idea for valentine’s day.

8. made sweet says:

bah!!! i want to make those bags!!

9. janeen says:

what cute ideas!!

10. Lizzy says:

I love your ideas. No better way to the heart than with some homemade goodies.

11. What great ideas! I just posted on my blog about how to do custom Valentine’s Day cupcakes!

12. jamie says:

Another great v-day idea! Thank you for sharing.

13. Jean says:

Yay Kathleen! Your DIY stuff is always so inspiring. I love reading Twig&Thistle!

14. I love all the Valentine’s Day DIY projects on your site! One of the reasons I love Valentine’s Day is because it has the potential to NOT be a crazy-commercial holiday. It can really be a crafty holiday — construction paper, baking, sewing. I wish people would see V-day that way and make pink and red things for all of their friends!!!

15. Newbie says:

I made the brownies and bags for my friends for Valentines and they absolutely loved the thought! It is a really inexpensive way of saying that you care. Thanks so much for the WONDEFUL ideas! I only just found this blog and am not addicted.

16. Happy early Valentine’s Day for 2010! Since these were such a big hit last year I’ve recently updated them for 2010. Please feel free to check them out here: xoxo

17. Caryl Lyons says:

I did the bags last year and modified it slightly so I could personalize each bag. Loved them!! I also did them for Halloween last year.

18. Jen Parker says:

My son and I just made some great cards with his photo and candy. I love DIY projects that mean more because you make them yourself.

19. Maria says:

I love this idea – thank you. I was trying to print this on a 6 x 11 inch brown paper bag and I couldn’t get it to center. I tried every page setup on the PDF print set-up. Any suggestions?

20. Marianne says:

Maria, did you try setting your page size to match that of your bag? I haven’t done this, but would like to, and I figure I’ll have to adjust the page size to make it work.

21. Barbara O'Brien says:

I just love home baking, Love shabby chic brown gift bags and newspaper gift wraps tied up with string and finished off with a hand crafted gift tags, Gisela Graham does it too!Fab,, (Iron newspapers first folks!) and most of all i love Chocolate Shop Wine seems to go with anything yummy and every occasion! xx

22. Barbara O'Brien says:

I love the brown gift bag idea, you can aslo use newspapers like our very own Gisela Graham does too! (Iron newspaper first folks), Parcels tied up with string and finished off with a home made gift tag look FAB and very shabby chic,, Chocolate Shop wine goes with absolutely anything yummy and is fitting for any occasion, Chocolate Shop Wine warms you up a bit like a cozy mitten worn against the biting winter weather. Well it does me! xx