before & after: serena’s living room

well hello, beautiful built-ins. i always wish we had the space (and budget) to have custom shelves built and d*s reader serena from the farm chicks is currently living with my dream arrangement- floor-to-ceiling storage. we have more books in our home than anything else so the ability to have so much storage like this is such a treat. i love the way serena’s shelves are so functional, but also add tons of tiny spots to create more decorative vignettes. thanks to serena for sharing! (ps: serena has a gorgeous book coming out this april!)

1. Stephanie says:

That is gorgeous. Everyone should be given the room for those.

2. visualingual says:

These built-ins look amazing — really functional [with nooks for decorative objects, as you pointed out], but also very elegant and well-integrated. Who designed them? Who built them?

3. Warren says:

Wow, I agree with you. All of that storage is a dream come true. Someday…

4. alice says:

Oh wow it looks great!

5. molly says:

Fabulous built-ins! I’d have no excuse but to be orgainzed in a lovely space like that with so much storate!

6. Chris says:

We have a library in our Inn to be that needs built ins and these are pretty much the dream–oh yeah. always helpful to see images of beautiful things.

7. lucky says:

wow. perfection.

8. Coco says:

Nice! Though if they were mine there’d be no room for knickknacks – those shelves would be stuffed with books in no time.

9. Jo says:

All I can say is thank heavens she got rid of that odd carpeted corner thingy. And Hooray! for amazing storage. I’m jealous.

10. Alix says:

I. Am. Drooling.

11. Best shelves ever! I am so bookmarking this page for when we add shelving in our living room…

12. Laura says:

its my dream organization set-up! I have floor to ceiling storage in my kitchen…but not enough space for my books!

13. Wow!! It is so beautiful (and I am SO jealous)!!

14. tara says:

A-FREAKING-MAZING! so jealous!

15. samantha says:

Love this, its very neat. A great use of the space.

16. Incredible makeover— built-ins are my achilles heel too!

17. This is my DREAM organization system. Way to go!

18. carina says:

Just gorgeous! The wrap around is a brilliant transition from one area to the next.

19. This transformation is just TOP!!! very good use of the space, sometimes it is hard to image how things will look after but thins one is truly well done.

20. jessamyn says:

ooh! I have been dreaming about built ins too… lovely.

21. elizabeth says:

Stunning!
    This is an excellent way to put dead space to good use. Serena, did you “design” the storage arrangement yourself?

22. chez shoes says:

Oh, man, this is so good. I was really happy with my white Ikea Expedit shelves until I saw this!

23. Jisun says:

My jaw just dropped to the floor! This is beautiful!

24. Kristan says:

Oh how I dream of built-ins…

25. Himlarum says:

Such a difference! Just lovely!

26. Susana says:

I love how beautifully organized everything is <3

27. the.mediatrix says:

I’m curious about the vignettes in the cubbies…it seems like a lot of effort to got to just to take shots for d*s…like swapping out the magazine files for the photos. Is one your regular look and the other not? Also, I’d LOVE to see a long shot of this showing more of the room. They really look great.

28. Thanks so much for such nice comments about my built-in. I am so happy with the way it turned out. My house has a really open lay-out, so I really like how on the living room side, it makes the living room feel like a room of it’s own and then on the kitchen side, it makes a nice transition into that space.
    Yes, I did design it and worked with a great local handy-man who built it for me.
    The pictures showing the built-in on the living room side are different because they were taken about a month apart. My books, pictures, and whatever else I choose to add in are constantly changing, based on my mood. :)

29. calypsogirl says:

i love this! and really want to do something similar in my living room. can anyone recommend a company that will do this in manhattan? there are so many, i know, but i thought i’d start with recs. thanks!

30. josashimi says:

I’m in love!!! Love the white, love the pigeon hole shelving, love the cute things on display… oh my heart!

31. Melissa says:

Wow, this is soooo beautiful. I love built-ins! I just stumbled on The Farm Chicks website last night. Great stuff there.

32. christina says:

what a dream! I love, love, love this! I need this done in my family room! It is just beautiful!

33. nicoleigh says:

This is great! Every girls dream corner. Thanks for sharing. I love the bright, cheery colors.

34. Amy says:

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!!!!
    That’s all i can muster up. I have to go wipe the drool off my chin. Just GORGEOUS!!!!

35. mark says:

How much did this cost? Where are you located? Who is this handy man? Did they build it all from scratch? Or is it ready made pieces that are assembled? I have to know? Please tell us.