before & after: lucky’s headboard

d*s reader lucky’s beautiful grey bedroom really drew me to this simple before & after. everyone knows the power of a coat of white paint (though i’m feeling darker colors more myself these days) and against a gorgeous dark grey wall? as the welcome sign to brooklyn says, “fuhgeddaboudit“. thanks for sharing, lucky! click here to see larger versions of lucky’s photos.

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your pictures!]

[ps: click here to read sarah’s guest blog post on stationery this morning]

1. katrin says:

love it, expect of the “love”-pillow

2. Jess LC says:

Amazing! I love the crisp white details against the charcoal wall. And the all white linens definitely take the traditional style and modernize it quite a bit.

3. mandy says:

So much better!!

4. Jody says:

fabulous and very inspiring!

5. janelle says:

Never ceases to amaze me what a little paint can do. The headboard looks great!

6. stacy says:

beautiful! Did you hand stitch your pillow cases or buy them that way?

7. Sabrina says:

This is so beautiful! It is truly amazing what coats of white paint will do. And that charcoal wall? Stunning. Great inspiration!

8. Jo says:

what a change a little colour will make! i am always amazed! i need to do that with my old pieces, i am just a little lazy!

9. Marlene says:

A simple fix for a great result!

10. So simple!! And beautiful!

11. MsUnreliable says:

This looks so beautiful against the grey wall, but the red/pink and white cushions totally make the space!

12. Jo says:

Looks like a totally different headboard. Fabulous. The colors are awesome and the pillowcases are just the right amount of pop.

13. Stacey says:

Beautiful! Where are the pillows from??

14. What a charming transformation.

15. KC says:

What’s the exact paint color of the charoal wall and from where?

16. Wow, absolutely stunning! Love it against the charcoal wall.

17. Amanda says:

I too would like to know the color of the wall and brand of paint!

18. mandy says:

perfect – looks beautiful!

19. donna says:

Seriously, where did you find that?! It’s so Anthro. Love.

20. lucky says:

hi guys – thanks for the comments!

the headboard i got off CL for $40. primed and painted w/ painters touch spray paint. wall color is evening hush by behr. those throw pillows are vday dishtowels from walmart i sewed up for the holiday last week, and if u check out my slideshow i trimmed the sheets w/ “i love you” ribbon. normally it’s white sheets w/ black piping.

21. Shashi says:

It’s amazing. Nice job.

22. kk says:

See this is a case where tacky 70’s furniture looks GREAT with a paint job.

23. Janel says:

Wow… A gray wall… Interesting!

24. Elysia Lock says:

I totally noticed the “i love you” ribbon and came back just to comment on that great little touch. Nice work! I love what you’ve done with your bedroom.

25. nicole says:

love it love it love it! so simple, yet so beautiful.

26. Kimby says:

Who knew? I see these headboards at thrift stores all the time. Your transformation of this eyesore is too wonderful!! I also love ;o) the dishtowel pillows and the ribbon trim on the linens…WOW!

27. rhaya says:

Love it! A great shape regardless, but it looks especially stunning against the grey wall.

28. Kate says:

Would you somehow attach the headboard to the bed frame, or leave it freestanding?

29. If I saw this headboard at a yard sale or on Craigslist, I probably would have completely overlooked it, but a simple coat of white paint made it absolutely beautiful! And against the deep gray walls? I’m so envious right now :)

30. crazy what just a coat of paint can do