before & after: leslie’s chair

this fun chair before & after comes from designer and artist leslie lewis sigler. she had a hand-me-down chair from her mother-in-law that needed an update so she decided to give it a facelift with some glossy spray paint and fabric from hitmoi kimura. i love that glossy black look and think it really elevates the chairs from frumpy to fresh and modern. thanks, leslie!

[have a before & after project you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your pictures!]

[ps: i’m talking about wedding invite addressing over at ms weddings. apparently some people don’t like informally addressed envelopes- wanna weigh in? click here to join the discussion]

1. un-bride says:

Wow! This looks fabulous. What a gorgeous update.

2. Love the change. That chair looked like a 70’s disaster, but looks modern and cool now

3. jamie says:

Gorgeous! I love that fabric.

4. Amy says:

My awesome friend LESLIE made this chair, not Leah!! :) Thanks for posting this. She always does great work!

5. made sweet says:

love it love it love it

6. Love it!!! I just featured Hitomi’s amazing fabrics in my post on the Top 10 Modern, Eco-friendly, Printed Fabrics on Etsy: http://craftingagreenworld.com/2009/02/10/top-10-modern-eco-friendly-printed-fabrics-on-etsy/

7. Marlene says:

Great update! The black works very well with that pattern.

8. Sofia says:

Truly stunning. I wish I had the imagination to see the “after” while looking at the “before.” Amazing.

9. Ooh and Ahh! This is utter perfection! I adore the glossy black finish—just perfect for the faux bamboo detailing!

This makes me seriously think about which objects in my own house could use a little TLC…

10. Jenna says:

Glossy black spray paint is a godsend. Black+white+1 color is a never-fail combination. Awesome chair!

11. sabrina says:

How inspiring! Awesome work.

12. paula says:

i love the fabric! so fun. i would love for you to check out my blog today!

13. Mica says:

Excellent idea! I need Leslie to come to my house!

14. carol says:

the black really brings out the great lines of the chair! fab transformation…

15. Wow!! Great result.. The combination of the chair and fabric color is nice.

16. Emily says:

This is a fabulous redo. I love the simplicity. This chair would look lovely in my apartment. :)

17. jenny says:

I have a question? did you have to sand down the chair at all prior to spray painting? I have a lil table I might want to try this on.

look forward to hearing tips.

18. Leslie says:

Hi Jenny. Yes, I sanded the chair first. It roughens the surface so the paint will stick. Have fun with your project!

19. Morena says:

good job!!! excellent, i enjoy your blog so much

20. Simon says:

Nice, but the paint on the woven wicker back is gonna peel off.

21. Lauren says:

What needs to be done differently to avoid peeling?
    Love the chair! I want to do something like this for my kitchen table chairs.

22. I love Kalla’s fabrics. Really put to good use here, looks fly.