weddings: crystal’s ohio wedding

now that i’m in the home stretch of wedding planning (i am so excited, it’s all starting to feel real!) i’m really looking to creative weddings for inspiration. these gorgeous pictures are from the rural ohio wedding of graphic designer crystal madrilejos. along with her husband and friends, crystal made almost every aspect of her big day herself, which i find incredibly inspirational. from the wooden table numbers to the organic centerpieces made with succulents it truly looks like a day to remember. thanks to crystal for sharing her big day with us! (all photos by lauren crew)

[in other wedding news, my new martha post (on wedding flowers) will be right here at noon today]

[love this idea!: a typewriter was on display so guests could type a note for the happy couple. and table numbers and names were typed onto sheets of paper]

[i love the little jar luminaries in the trees]

[crystal’s rsvp cards]

1. michelle says:

wow. those place holder twigs are SUCH a great idea. The centerpieces in general are just fantastic.

2. blake says:

This is absoutely beautiful, NOW that’s my idea of a Wedding. There is so much attention to detail in the centerpieces, I’m sure the whole she-bang was as detailed. Lovely

3. Kristan says:

The whole thing looks stunning. I cannot even begin to imagine the work she put into that… Heck, I’d want her to do mine!

Also, she looks gorgeous!

4. Stacey says:

Everything is just lovely, I especially like the centerpieces.

5. Leah says:

You’d never know that wedding was a DIY wedding. It’s beautiful! Is that a photobooth?! I have to say I might steal that idea for my wedding…

6. So many great details! I love the typewriter idea – so fun!

7. so beautiful! I love the look of the natural leaves and greenery without all of the flowers – it’s very pretty.

8. cjh says:

Bookmarking. Love the centerpieces. I had The Fiance go around picking up felled trees after our hurricane in September so I could have free wood for this exact purpose. Hey, something good has to come from disaster…

9. Kat says:

Love it! Everything has such an organic feel.

10. Catherine says:

Absolutely beautiful, classy, natural. It looks so effortless, which always takes the most effort to achieve.

11. Jamie says:

how lovely! Love red velvet cupcakes and the potted plants!

12. laura says:

This is gorgeous.

13. Lola says:

You might like http://www.thisyounghouse.com/wedding-album/

they had an elegant budge diy wedding in their backyard.

14. Courtney says:

Those table numbers are fabulous!

15. that typewriter idea is genius!

16. Get Togetha says:

The cupcakes are a fun touch! Tent weddings always seem so dreamy!

17. romy says:

that is really adorable. love the red velvet cupcake, the table #s and the photo booth…how much do you suppose it is to rent one of those for a day anyway?? :)

18. tasha says:

wow!!!

I love this wedding. I wish I was a guest there.

19. .amanda. says:

oh le siiiiiigh. this wedding looks perfect~looks a lot like mine too!

I also had the hanging glass jars at my wedding, they were a huge hit. I even used milk glass vases like crystal did. I wish I had thought of those centerpieces, lovely!

I adore the simplicity of it all!

20. erin says:

the couple looks beautiful!

I love all the DIY aspects of this wedding! I love the twig holders and table numbers, as well as the typewriter! so smart! my hubby and i never had a real wedding (it was sort of last-minute thing between his military training sessions for his tour of iraq) but are going to renew our vows in the next couple years so i will be bookmarking some of these ideas for that! i love the simple ideas- but they look amazing, and all the natural elements!

21. donna says:

I spy Paula Deen’s red velvet cupcakes! Cool

22. bussbuss says:

now i want to get married all over again (um, to the same guy!) just so i can use that typewriter idea – so cute and clever!

23. Bess says:

so inspiring! i love the tree trunk center pieces, and of course the typewriter too. it has a warm and simple feel, just like i would hope my wedding day would be. happy planning Grace!

24. allison burt-tilden says:

i dd the typewriter thing at my wedding. found a cool vintage one and set it up with a stack of paper and now we have some very cool messages in old typewriter font to add to the wedding album.

25. shelbey says:

oh my fabulous

26. Connie says:

Wow. Absolutely wonderful.

27. Esther says:

Wow back to the future, for my daughter’s wedding we did wormwood, herbs, and lots of beautiful hawthorn twigs, candles and hand painted banners, even cupcakes from Citizen Cake in San Francisco, very fun wedding and beautiful too. Wedding was at Old Post Chapel in the Presidio. Thanks for sharing

28. Esther says:

I should have included a link, page 41 is the reception, almost everything we did was hand made, except of course for the cupcakes, Judi our good friend from SLO a florist took flowers from our garden and even made the bride’s arrangement and all the other little accessories, loads of fun and leaves, petals and all sorts flying all over the place.

29. Rebecca says:

Lovely, lovely wedding! Can I ask where the event took place in Ohio?

30. wow! great attention to detail. Those cupcakes, the table tops and all the greenery are so delightful!

31. Crystal says:

Hi Everyone! Thank you so much for the amazing compliments. We worked so hard to make this wedding happen, it feels good to share it with even more people! To address some of the questions:

Romy: Almost everything we made or repurposed ourselves but the photobooth was our one big splurge. We used Photobooth Scrapbooks and it was $1700 for unlimited photos for 4 hours. We definitely couldn’t afford it, but we said what the heck?!

Rebecca: The wedding took place in Medina, Ohio (NE Ohio) and it was held in my in-law’s backyard.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or if you want any wedding help.

32. Nessa says:

Love the photo booth feature and the jar luminaries … also the wedding dress! That is the vision I have for mine, but have not had any luck finding a dress yet. If I may ask, who is the designer or where did you purchased it?

33. Crystal says:

Hi Nessa,
    Thank You! The wedding dress was made by a Brooklyn designer named Laura Budde. She is amazingly talented!