sneak peek: karyn millet

by

today’s second incredible sneak peek comes from photographer karyn millet. after living in her santa monica apartment for 10 years she figured rather than move she’d take over the apartment next door. she put a hole in the wall, and voila, now has a large laundry room (the former kitchen), the office (former living room), guestroom and bath. if karyn ever decides to leave photography (keep your eye out for her work in all sorts of magazines fromo at home to house beautiful), i think she has a fallback career in interior design. click here for more images. [thanks, karyn!]anne

[above: Since the new apartment was getting so much attention, I decided to spruce up the original space as well. The formerly pale yellow dining room got a fresh coat of chalky brown and pillows were changed on the sofa.]

Joe Ruggiero’s outdoor bamboo chairs for Terra in white powder-coasted metal with cushions in his chocolate brown velvet (again Sunbrella) were perfect for around the table. Most everything else is custom, including the L-shaped desk in warm grey with leather pulls for the drawers.

The office also has two classic side chairs I designed myself and had upholstered in a Kelly Wearstler fabric. The drapes in the office are Ikea with fancy trim added.

I used Joe Ruggiero’s Sunbrella collection of fabrics as drapes, shower curtains, sink skirts and daybed cover and bolsters. Mail order was great for West Elm’s day bed and Parson’s Desk for the guestroom and DWR’s Saarinen table in the original dining room.

Master bedroom

Living room

Details in master and guest bathrooms.

Laundry room and office. Since I’m a photographer, almost all the art is mine – pieces left over from my last show that needed a temporary home.

1. visualingual says:

Gorgeous! I love these softer tones after seeing so many highly saturated colors in people’s homes last year.

2. J.lee says:

This post is great. Crisp clean lines in a home create clarity like nothing else.. Props for dressing up a laundry room! I wish more people did that!

3. Victoria says:

so gorgeous karyn congrats!

4. Kristan says:

Amazing! I LOVE how she mixes prints in with the softer solid colors, and the whole palette is very soothing and comfy. I do think the dining room is probably my favorite.

Thank you for sharing!

5. Lily says:

Lovely! Thank you for showing us your beautiful home!

6. wow – beautiful! I especially love those chairs, you said you designed them yourself?

7. Jenny! says:

I love that coffee table more every time I see it. Is it Ikea?

8. amanda says:

Oh, can we know paint colors?!

9. David says:

I am really digging on the orange and white. Great post. Do you know any more info on the print on the wall with the orange in it?

10. JOE RUGGIERO says:

Karyn…Thank you for making my Sunbrella Fabrics look so fresh. I love the way you used my outdoor furniture inside!

11. Judith says:

Lovely!
    Would you please provide the source of the hanging lamp over the dining room table?

12. pghjezebel says:

Love the mirror, where is it from? Also loving the orange and white. I think thats what direction my dining room is headed in.

13. Holly says:

You have a typo there.

Details in mater and guest bathrooms.

Should be master I think.

14. Loora says:

It’s just gorgeous ! So bright and calm yet fun… I could go on for pages. The master bedroom and the living room are my favorites.

Thank you so much for inspiring me today !

15. leah says:

I agree! I absolutely love that coffee table! Could you share where you found it? Beautiful home- thanks for the inspiration!

16. Karyn Millet says:

My thanks to everyone for the lovely feedback – so kind and much appreciated. Here are a few answers to your questions.

.Yes, I designed the orange chairs myself with the help of my furniture maker in downtown LA.

.Yes, the coffee table is Ikea – good eye.

.Gosh, I really can’t remember the paint colors. I often just take in a swatch and they match it.

.I shot the shell prints and the abstract orange/brown canvas – part of my 2nd gallery show.

.The pendant light in the dining room is by West Elm, but sadly they don’t seem to make it any more.

.The mirror is from Ballard Design.

Again, my thanks to everyone for the beautiful comments.

17. JEFFREY H. MILLET says:

KARYN

YOU HAVE THE TOUCH. MUST BE IN OUR DNA.

CON TODO MI AMOR.

DAD

18. KellyS says:

Swooning over that laundry room, in particular. What a bright & sunny space.

19. Rachel Weill says:

Oooooh so beautiful! I am very lucky to have been a guest and hope to be again soon!

20. Kara says:

The curtains add a wonderful vibrancy to the dining room. May I ask were they (or the fabric) came from? It’s a gorgeous print to tie the gold and brown together.

21. Kim says:

Beautiful home and very inspiring! I love the colors that you used for the walls and for the furniture.

22. Estelle says:

The house is great, but your dad is just gorgeous!

well done!

23. Justine says:

I have an undying love for Elephants and therefor for the office :)

24. nina says:

I love the photo of the little girl! I wish I made one when my daughters were still younger.

25. George Sanchez says:

Karyn,

Beautiful! What an incredible eye!!!

Best,
    g

26. becky says:

any idea where those pretty yellow curtains came from?

27. Leslie says:

I met you today to J. Crew in Malibu and thought I’d look you up here. What a beautiful aesthetic you have! Hope to see in again soon. Leslie

28. Christine says:

Where did you get the curtains in the dining room? They are beautiful and would be perfect in my dining room!