domino closes

i’ve started this post over about a dozen times and am not quite sure what to say. but domino is officially closed. thoughts?

i’m sitting here wondering what’s going to happen to magazines like this- shelter magazines that appeal to a young, predominantly female audience. i feel like everything else is either too high end or too low end. i know the magazine was far (in some cases very far) from perfect, but i wish there was a way to cut back and keep it. i’ll miss the world of magazines like blueprint and domino, i like my girly fun and i like getting it while flipping through actual pages. man, so sad.

1. Bryanna says:

First I read Blueprint, but after it was cancelled found Domino which I have loved. Now it’s gone too, but this time I don’t think there is another magazine that could take either of their places.

2. Miranda says:

Add it to the list: FOUR of “my” mags have gone under in the past couple of weeks now: Domino plus Cottage Living, Country Home, and M.E. Home Companion. That they are having a hard time during this economy is not surprising. That they are treating their subscribers dispicably (not notifying them, continuing to solicit and accept payment for new subscriptions and renewals, etc.) is, simply, unforgiveable.

3. Anne says:

A tragedy- I loved Domino. The worst part of all is that Conde Nast is keeping Architectural Digest which is the biggest sell-out fuddy duddy old turd of a mag. R.I.P Domino- I will miss your fresh face.

4. Betsy says:

I am starting a blog to save domino…join me to help keep Domino alive! Tell your friends, tell your loved ones – tell everyone!

5. kittycatmeow says:

THIS IS SO DEVASTATING. Domino felt like it was my magazine, our magazine. It was for anyone I’ve ever known who is kind of amazing but really just a big dork inside. I will really miss you Domino!!

6. Maegan says:

This makes me so sad. It’s the only magazine I’ve ever kept all my back issues of. Now I’m glad I did, ’cause it looks like I’ll be revisiting them for old times’ sake!

7. Zeba says:

Here’s an interesting article on Domino’s closing that highlights the strong fan base of the magazine and includes a reference to Design*Sponge (and all of our comments)! I’m still hoping Domino will somehow come back . . .

8. Style Rumors says:

I just can’t believe it.I dont wanna believe it.

9. tomythewho says:

this is ludicrous! a real tragedy. i’m sad.

10. Tanana says:

This is so sad! First I lose Blueprint and now Domino … I’ll miss it.

11. Sunshine says:

I’m super bummed that Domino mag is closing–I look forward to getting each issue, and I frequently re-read old issues (I’ve saved them all). Can we contact Conde Nast and let them know what a strong reader base they’re losing?

12. Cara says:

I just read the NY Times article on the blog reaction to Domino’s folding. I don’t get this age thing – the word ‘young’ used a zillion times to describe Domino’s readership – surely I can’t be the only 58 year old who is (was) more Domino than Arch Digest? I have an old-house real estate/design blog that’s not even two months old yet – I published a sad rant when I heard the news, called “Now Domino is Falling” – and one two weeks earlier, “Goodbye Cottage Living,” in which I poured out my pain….truly, I never subscribed to either magazine because I just couldn’t wait to receive them in the mail, if there was any chance I could find them on a newsstand a day or two sooner.
    Like my younger cohorts, I am devastated!

13. Colleen says:

it’s just not the same….clipping jpgs on the web and putting them into little digital folders. What am I supposed to do…run around shopping for home design stuff with my laptop?

14. kate harrison says:

I was holding out hope the past week or two that maybe someone would bail them out…the reality has set in and I am so lost without Domino. There is nothing like it and I feel like nothing can fill its void. Isn’t there something we can do?

15. Vanessa says:

Advertisers do not know what they are missing. The paid subscriptions were over 1 million. Any company that would be willing to pay big for advertising to bring back this magazine would have a million loyal customers. BRING BACK MY DOMINO!!!

16. tailor taste says:

does anyone know what will be replacing domino for the remainder of a subscription?

17. I am soooo bummed about Domino magazine. Maybe this is unrealistic but I would have paid double for the subscription and I bet there are a lot of people out there who would do the same! On to ebay to buy back issues- unfortunately just took which was interest at the moment and threw the rest away— ny apartments and storage !

18. Mike Harrington says:

Your blog is the future of shelter magazines for the demographic you described. Print magazines are evolving and online is the future.

19. Carol E says:

I received my last issue of Domino today. I just can’t believe this is it.

I keep thinking about all of the boring mags out there that aren’t going under. This is going to leave a huge void. There’s no replacement for Domino. Not even remotely.

20. Bonnie says:

I found a link to your post from The Paris Apartment and also follow your wonderful blog too. I just wanted to add to your post about Domino and say that the magazine will be sadly missed. It was truly unique amongst all the other interior design magazines.

21. Minda Brusse says:

I’ll miss Domino, Blueprint and Cottage Living. I recently scoured the home decor mags still on newsstands and don’t see anything interesting. I like blogs and all, but there’s nothing like cozying up with a good magazine and glass of wine to make me feel inspired.

Starved for insipiration I toured local art galleries and a tiny boutique paper store. Is blogging and Etsy our future? Must we fend for ourselves somehow??

22. Marianne says:

I am really, really sad about the demise of Domino. It was my absolute favourite magazine. Does anybody know where I can get back issues?

23. Tabitha says:

I, too, wonder what will happen to the demographic that Domino and Blueprint serve. I am 30, and the more mainstream decorating mags showcase products that I do not prefer or simply cannot afford. Sigh. This economy is brutal. MARIANNE-you can order back issues on Domino’s website, but they cost about $9 each.

24. Tabitha says:

Oops! Forgot to mention: Domino’s website will also be shut down, so if there are inspirational pix that you need, I’d recommend printing them out now; you may not be able to access that information in the future.

25. AdamRoth says:

I am really, really sad about the demise of Domino. It was my absolute favourite magazine. Finding a job in this downturn is not easy unless you have hidden talents!

26. Kati says:

I know it’s months after, but am I the only one who is still looking for something, anything, to fill the Domino void? I just started subscribing in summer of 2007, and it was one of my favorite things to receive in the box from home when I was dorm-living. I’d actually downsize some of the things in the mag for my little cinderblock dormroom, just to make it better. And now there’s nothing. *Sigh* This whole shut-it-all-down thing has been sad, even months after.

27. Jane says:

I just stumbled on this and wanted to say that I was also sad to see Domino close it’s doors. I’m in my forties, probably not their demo but to me the magazine was about creativity. The home and apartments were not overly styled and uptight. I loved that. Thank G-d for Design*Sponge because like Domino it’s also creative and features real people in real settings.

28. Gwyn says:

Still, two and a half years later and i have yet to find a replacement!