weekly wrap up + diy wreath project

this time of year the days just seem to fly by and this week was a total blur! next week ac and i are heading down to virginia for the holidays but i’ll be posting through next tuesday so please tune in next week for some fantastic end of the year sneak peeks, the last d*s video of 2008 (holiday crafting and cooking!) and some more diy projects to do while you’re home with family. in the meantime, i’m off to my bedroom to start packing and wrapping gifts for next week. also, i have so many holiday diy projects to post i don’t know where to start so i wanted to end this week with a great project from amanda at vintage glam. she used a common found material (wire hangers and plastic bags from the laundromat) and created a beautiful holiday wreath in only a few steps. amanda was kind enough to share her full steps with d*s so just click here (or click “read more” below) for the full project. thanks to amanda for sharing. see you monday!

Amanda’s Holiday Wreath

You’ll need:

-wire hangers (the type you get with your dry cleaning at the laundromat)
-plastic bags (the type that you get with your dry cleaning at the laundromat)

It’s very simple to make the wreath:

Step 1: Using a wire hanger, make a circle shape with the help of pliers).

Step 2: Cut the plastic bags in 1/2″ wide strips. You will be left with tons of plastic bag “rings”. Cut both ends of these rings.

Step 3: Fold strips in half. Cut the folded end. Fold the strips in half again. Cut the end. Repeat until you have strips that are 5-6″ long.

Step 4: Tie strips onto the wire. Tie the strips tightly together next to each other until you no longer see the wire.

To make the floating word ornament:

Step 1: If you have an old glass ornament and wants to recycle it, take the cap off and fill up with bleach and salt. This will remove the old paint, leaving the ornament in clear glass. Skip this step if you already have a clear glass ornament.

Step 2: To make the hanging JOY inside the ornament, I used leftover alphabet stickers and carefully placed each letter on top of the edge of each other. I did the same thing on both sides so one can read from any angle. With the help with a safety pin, I poked a hole in the middle of the word.

Step 3: I threaded the word with a thin fishing line, tied a tiny knot on one side and then threaded again through the ornament cap. Tied a knot from underneath the cap and tad-dah! Floating word ornament is done!

To add some color, I tied a red ribbon around the ornament.

Tah-dah! Wreath cost: $0

By: Amanda of Vintage Glam

1. tia says:

I made this wreath in elementary school with tissue paper over 30 years ago – our family hung it for many, many years. Love reusing things.

2. oh my gaud….I did that project in 5th grade when I was a Girl Scout. I remember it being a fun project.

3. it’s beautiful… i add you.. =)

4. Ruby says:

We had plastic bag wreaths in our house in the late 1970s too. Can’t say that it’s a look I’d be excited to recreate, but these do give me a sense of how they might have been pretty before a decade of packing and repacking and storage in the attic. :)

5. Mickey says:

When I first glanced at the
    wreath, it looked like it was
    around a dog’s neck…lol.
    My glasses are up to date…..

6. Victoria says:

truly beautiful and “green”

7. Lecia says:

I’ve made a wreath similar to this – great DIY post! Have a festive weekend.

8. Lotta says:

Lovely! Just what I needed :D Thank you and Merry Christmas!

9. Jari says:

i’m in LOVElove with your blog! holy full of inspiration! thank you!!!

10. Deborah says:

Oh my, I made this wreath in fourth grade as a gift for my parents. We had no green or white bags, My grandma said black would be fine. To my parents horror I had fashioned a mourning wreath that I fully expected to hang on our front door! This clear/white wreath…so pretty.

11. rhaya says:

Our front door is black, so most red or green wreaths blend right in. I have been keeping my eye out for a unique white one, and this one just might be it!

12. Lynne says:

Very innovative AND beautiful!

13. Sam says:

Love it! It’s fun and festive and best of all you can make it yourself! Yay!

14. Celine HWANG says:

wooow….LOVE these two “tutu deco” so much!!!Would you please let me post it into my blog ? I am a cup make and a cup lover who base in TAIWAN ,Please take my blog a look and enjoy it! THANK YOU VERY MUCH !…..Celine

15. Emily says:

made one of these last year! love it!

16. Mardi says:

Great idea! I’m going to give it a try!

17. folksmith says:

the wreath is wonderful. will have to make one to recycle the bags i have.

18. LaVone says:

This is the best surprize I have gotten in a long time . I moved 2 years ago and my daughter threw away the one that she made back in 1995. I told her that she had to make me another one, she said that she could not remember how, well do I have a surprize for her ( along with the stuff to make it ).

19. Karen Gorka says:

I remember when I was a Girl Scout in the 60’s (yes that long ago) we made these wreaths!!

20. This is so funny. Over 30 years ago when I first got married, we were broke and my husband showed me how to make these, we had them all over the house!

21. Michelle says:

My son and I are making this wreath for a project for school. It’s not looking like the picture. The knots are showing and the plastic isn’t fluffy. What am I not doing?

1. Kate Pruitt says:

Hi Michelle,

Sorry you’re having trouble! It sounds like maybe the plastic you are using might not be ideal, or perhaps the strips are too big? You can probably add in some white plastic shopping bags to add a different texture to the piece as well.

Also be sure to tie the knots quite small and tight – this will prevent them from slipping around and will obscure the knots better. The more pieces you have, the fluffier and fuller the wreath will look, and the knots will be better obscured by the loose material. I hope this helps!

22. Elba says:

Incredibly easy. I made my own out of HEB (local grocery store) plastic bags. I didn’t bother concerning myself with the writing. I think the red color adds to my wreath. If anyone would like to check it out visit my blog.

I, too, remember making a wreath like this with my mom when I was a child. The difference was that we used new garbage bags. I forgot some steps and googled and voila. So glad to be able to find some use for all of these bags. There are so many neat tutorials out there and I love how now two wreath will ever look exactly alike. Hooray DIY.

23. valentina says:

hermoso,sencillo y super económico.gracias por compartir tus ideas,otra manera de hacerlas es con las botellas de plástico de gaseosas(hay verdes y blancas)cortadas como tiras ,luego le realizas flecos,quedan buenas pero no son tan maleables como las bolsitas.saluditos

24. Sally says:

fab wreath and many thanks for the instructions

25. Laurie says:

Our newspaper is delivered in an orange plastic bags in similar weight to dry-cleaner bags. Thinking how cool they will make a wreath for Halloween.

26. jenny says:

Great idea. I can see doing this with those left over plastic table covers from a kids party, wedding, etc.

27. Jackie says:

I am making this wreath now. It’s taking alot of bags. I am using the bags that come from my hubbys shirts bags from the cleaners and the hanger. It looking really good it will be done by the holidays I have just have to wait for a few more bags. LOL Thanks for the info.

28. medha devdas says:

Great idea.

29. DEB says:

I make the same wreath only I use sandwich baggies, fold top kind.

1. Patti says:

How do you make this wreath with fold top baggies?