trend roundup: ikat

even though ikat has had its run in the home design world over the past year or so (and has been in vogue many times before) the fashion world seems to bringing ikat back again with the spring/summer 2009 collections. i know some people are over it, but lately i’ve been blown away by email after email asking for an ikat trend roundup. and since i’m still totally loving ikat prints (and don’t think i’ll ever stop loving them used in moderation) i thought it would be fun to roundup some of our favorite ikat options in the market. thankfully i wasn’t alone in my hunting- my fantastic wintern des helped me find a huge chunk of these items, ranging from bags and rugs to pillows and clothing. i hope you’ll enjoy the ikat indulgence as much as we did. our ikat guide continues way after the jump so click here to view the full roundup or just click “read more” at the bottom of the post. thanks to des for her help with this!

[want to see more trend roundups? click here for the mini-trend archives]

[image above, clockwise from top left: ikat wooden stool $295, silk ikat pillow $95 (via katy), ikat cashmere wrap $32.50, ikat frame by oscar de la renta $100, ikat napkin $14, oscar de la renta v-neck ikat print dress, madeline weinrib ikat pillow, ikat bubble dress by oscar de la renta $963, calvin klein ikat shopper $152, ikat cushion cover $99.99, ikat clutch $150, ikat bowl $14, ikat heels $625]

[image above, clockwise from top left: marc jacobs ikat top $138, ikat flats by oscar de la renta $595, madeline weinrib clutch $450 (oh how i love these!), ]

[image above, clockwise from top left: 2009 dkny ikat dress (i’m saving up already), ikat tea towel by hammocks and high tea $13, organic cotton ikat shower curtain $29.99]

[image above, clockwise from top left: love and luck ikat stationery $16 for a set of 5, furniture by madeline weinrib (price available upon request)]

[image above, clockwise from top left: ikat bag by pink posie at etsy $45.50, ikat duvet cover and shams $16-$60, ikat bedding $199+]

[image above, left to right: ikat chevron tea towel by hammocks and high tea $13, ikat fabric $17.49 per yard, ikat duvet cover and shams $45-$250]

CLICK HERE for the rest of the ikat roundup…

[image above, clockwise from top left: john robshaw ikat pillows $110-$130, ikat lumbar pillow cover $49.99, ikat agenda books by motel deluxe at cursive in abc home]

[image above, clockwise from top left: ikat fabric $10.99+ (via katy elliott), ikat pillow cases $68.75, grey ikat pillow $29, silk ikat pillow $95, ikat carpet by madeline weinrib, ikat patterns book $19.99, madeline weinrib pillows, ikat table cloth $58, ikat clutch $150]

[image above, clockwise from top left: ikat-inspired duvet $1115+, organic ikat towels $16.99, ikat fabric $85 per yard, ikat floor cushion $100]

[image above, clockwise from top left: ikat journals by meg mateo ilasco $32, trina turk ikat swimsuit $139]

[image above, left to right: sabi ikat pillow covers $9.99, ikat paisley duvet cover + shams $49.99-$159.99]

1. Jo says:

i am still loving ikats and have been sewing with them a lot lately:

2. Just had two clients order chairs covered in Ikat fabrics. Did I sell them the “look”? No, each woman chose it because it made her happy. One has a very traditional house, the other a modern home. They each loved the colour they chose and the texture and “reality” of the fabric. Being in style didn’t seem to occur to either of them.

3. Rebecca Jones says:

Ikat is gorgeous when it is real. I love seeing those dyed yarns woven together. I don’t like the printed on fake ikat though. The suimsuit bothers me because I know it’s a knit fabric and it’s not woven. It’s not real ikat. Kind of like what Matt said.

I also have to agree with Marie that it also depends on the color choices, proportion, etc.

Ikat is fun to make too if you have the patience!

4. julie neil says:

ikat is the real deal.

it has movement and is very genuine. i’m not crazy about some of the newer ikat that doesn’t show it;s natural woven like bleed.

just wallpapered one wall behind a clients bed. love it.

5. I have been hunting for fabric OR pillows in Ikat for my familyroom and a guest room. THANKS ! Do you have anything by the yard, in blues?

6. When done right- more modern and less hippie, it can be really cool! Not sure if I can work it into my home or wardrobe, though.

7. Canvas Art says:

Fabric with these patterns can be integrated into most of my interiors! Good stuff from my point of view, I don’t why its getting a bad press from some of these comments.

8. OMG! I just love those prints!
    Kim :-)

9. Soft, dreamy, colorful, ancient and modern at the same time. Exactly what I need.

10. Bea says:

What a lovely mini trend!

11. Jennifer says:

how could you not love ikat….it’s fun, colorful and just makes you happy!

12. Rosa Madalengoitia says:

Peru has a an Ikat technique tradition in the north of the country. Now I am experimenting with this technique looking for new ways to express it.

13. ushma agrawal says:

hi.. i m a student of architecture.. i would like to know where will i get these ikat stuffs? i mean which shop? i stay in mumbai.. thanks!!

14. amazing ikat collection, thanks for sharing all of these. Does anyone know where ikat pattern originated?

15. Janet says:

I am trying to find some ikat fabrics…anyone have some favorite websites or lines they love. Looking for roman shades in a white kitchen. color and fun

16. toryburch says:

I love Ikat prints! I hope it does not go out of style anytime soon.
    tory burch flip flops

17. Amazing talent. I find her designs to be extraordinary!I agree this point.

18. biel riera says:

In Mallorca (Spain) are still made the IKATS, it name is “roba de llengos” and “tela mallorquina” and its 100% handcraf t and are manufactured using the traditional system

19. Srinivas Karnati says:

I am the weaver for this traditional Ikat fabrics and made ups.And I am very happy to see here our designs.And we are introducing our selves as manufacturer and supplier of this traditional item.

20. Kristen says:

I stumbled upon this site a little late…(just 5 years!) but could not resist the beautiful ikat designs and patterns! Wow!!

I also recently watched a youtube video on ikat fabric which was equally inspiring. After watching it, I could finally fulfill my wishlist. Here is the link:

21. Megan Christian says:

The video link that you posted about ikat was as you said was really helpful and had some good colelctions of ikat fabric. Ikat was and always is one of the best choice for upholstery.